Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dog Help for Loneliness?
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Dog Help for Loneliness?
Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you own a dog and how it helps with your loneliness and/or depression?

I currently don't own a dog, but really want one, especially lately. I do prefer animals to most humans and think a dog would really help with the loneliness, depression and low self esteem I feel on a day to day basis. Sad

What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2010, 01:31 AM
RE: Dog Help for Loneliness?
I luff my doggie. Big Grin

If I recall correctly, dogs help ease depression. Google around and research it a bit. Big Grin
08-08-2010, 02:25 AM
I did a research project on Dian Fossey last year....she was like that, she preferred animals over humans, so she basically was around animals all the time so she wasn't lonely.
08-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Yes i think a dog would certainly help ease lonliness. If your lonely because of lack of affection and company then a dog would be good because they are very affectionate animals.
08-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Ferrets are also said to help with depression

...humans represent the most obscene, perverted, cruel, uncivilised and lethal species ever to inhabit the planet and looks forward to the day when the inevitable asteroid slams into the earth and wipes them out thus giving nature the opportunity to start again. - Tony Banks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. Wink

I've got four Fancy Rats, who help with the depression a bit, but not in the same way as a dog would. I love Ferrets too, but I couldn't really walk them outside like with a dog and I really think a dog would give me more esteem when I'm out and about, as I don't really like to be in the flat too much, but normally don't go out too much as there's no-one to go out with. Sad

At least with a dog, I would have an excuse to go out and I wouldn't be on my own. Also, it's a way to get talking to other people (dog owners etc). So I wouldn't be as lonely either, at least I'd probably end up talking to people while I was out instead of just walking/sitting on my own, watching other people have fun with their dogs and chatting to other dog owners.

The only problem is, we can't afford to buy a dog from a rescue home at the moment and this is making me more depressed. Sad
08-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Rats are such good friends. My daughter and I each have a rat and we take them on walks. They cuddle with us. Every morning, they're waiting at the cage door for me to let them out and onto the bed so they can run onto my daughter's back and wake her up.

08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
(08-08-2010 09:45 AM)nerdygirl Wrote:  Rats are such good friends. My daughter and I each have a rat and we take them on walks. They cuddle with us. Every morning, they're waiting at the cage door for me to let them out and onto the bed so they can run onto my daughter's back and wake her up.

Awwww they sound really cute lol. Smile I thought most rats were not quite as domesticated as that.
08-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a 3 yr old black lab....he is amazing for me...although i got him when i was a happy and stable person with many friends. when i came undone so to speak, he saved my ass....he was the reason i got up in the am(he had to pee), he was the reason i left the house(he needed a run). to be honest, the running made an AMAZING difference for me, but i never would have done it if he wasn't around. we go in the woods where no-one sees us, i sing as loud as i want and often times scream just as loud...
thing is, a dog won't make you happy, only you can make you happy. Dogs are so unbelievably intuitive, that if you are unhappy, they are too. when i noticed this in him, i tried to do things that would make him happier, which in turn actually made ME feel better as well. i guess this depends on how bad it actually is. are you lonely or seriously depressed? so if its the latter, this could be a mistake. if its the former, then it could be the best thing that ever happened to you. he is my best friend, literally. he also gives me an excuse to leave the house, and other people start conversation, which is nice when you find yourself going to the grocery store just to be around people... Smile

go to a shelter, pick some damaged, sorry looking little bugger that no-one else "wanted", and you can save each other xox
08-14-2010, 12:54 PM
When I have my financial matters sorted out, I may look for a puppy from the local shelter.
Animals are far more loyal than people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Never Bothered by Loneliness? ladyforsaken 17 303 Today 01:09 PM
Last Post: ladyforsaken
  Is it possible to enjoy loneliness? RobinTrevize 17 507 10-11-2014 09:52 AM
Last Post: Wanderer145
  Loneliness Jack C 6 218 10-11-2014 05:09 AM
Last Post: EveWasFramed
  Absolute Loneliness Doc 8 427 10-08-2014 10:58 PM
Last Post: Jack C
  Do some people revel in the "martyrdom" of loneliness? Kxty33 24 1,830 09-12-2014 09:32 AM
Last Post: blackdot
  Loneliness is a never ending cycle. Wanderer145 21 1,316 09-05-2014 06:18 AM
Last Post: Wanderer145
  Interesting TED talk on loneliness bender22 0 421 08-24-2014 05:43 PM
Last Post: bender22
  Is loneliness a choice? Alonewith2cats 33 1,844 08-16-2014 10:25 AM
Last Post: Lishniy Chelovek
  Loneliness=bad karma Alonewith2cats 7 743 07-13-2014 11:44 PM
Last Post: Mr.YellowCat
  Can loneliness cause laziness? Crux 17 935 07-10-2014 12:10 PM
Last Post: raincloud