Dog Help for Loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooky2009

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you own a dog and how it helps with your loneliness and/or depression?

I currently don't own a dog, but really want one, especially lately. I do prefer animals to most humans and think a dog would really help with the loneliness, depression and low self esteem I feel on a day to day basis. :(

What do you guys think?

I luff my doggie. :D

If I recall correctly, dogs help ease depression. Google around and research it a bit. :D

I did a research project on Dian Fossey last year....she was like that, she preferred animals over humans, so she basically was around animals all the time so she wasn't lonely.

Yes i think a dog would certainly help ease lonliness. If your lonely because of lack of affection and company then a dog would be good because they are very affectionate animals.

Thanks for the replies. ;)

I've got four Fancy Rats, who help with the depression a bit, but not in the same way as a dog would. I love Ferrets too, but I couldn't really walk them outside like with a dog and I really think a dog would give me more esteem when I'm out and about, as I don't really like to be in the flat too much, but normally don't go out too much as there's no-one to go out with. :(

At least with a dog, I would have an excuse to go out and I wouldn't be on my own. Also, it's a way to get talking to other people (dog owners etc). So I wouldn't be as lonely either, at least I'd probably end up talking to people while I was out instead of just walking/sitting on my own, watching other people have fun with their dogs and chatting to other dog owners.

The only problem is, we can't afford to buy a dog from a rescue home at the moment and this is making me more depressed. :(

Rats are such good friends. My daughter and I each have a rat and we take them on walks. They cuddle with us. Every morning, they're waiting at the cage door for me to let them out and onto the bed so they can run onto my daughter's back and wake her up.

nerdygirl said:
Rats are such good friends. My daughter and I each have a rat and we take them on walks. They cuddle with us. Every morning, they're waiting at the cage door for me to let them out and onto the bed so they can run onto my daughter's back and wake her up.

Awwww they sound really cute lol. :) I thought most rats were not quite as domesticated as that.

I have a 3 yr old black lab....he is amazing for me...although i got him when i was a happy and stable person with many friends. when i came undone so to speak, he saved my ass....he was the reason i got up in the am(he had to pee), he was the reason i left the house(he needed a run). to be honest, the running made an AMAZING difference for me, but i never would have done it if he wasn't around. we go in the woods where no-one sees us, i sing as loud as i want and often times scream just as loud...
thing is, a dog won't make you happy, only you can make you happy. Dogs are so unbelievably intuitive, that if you are unhappy, they are too. when i noticed this in him, i tried to do things that would make him happier, which in turn actually made ME feel better as well. i guess this depends on how bad it actually is. are you lonely or seriously depressed? so if its the latter, this could be a mistake. if its the former, then it could be the best thing that ever happened to you. he is my best friend, literally. he also gives me an excuse to leave the house, and other people start conversation, which is nice when you find yourself going to the grocery store just to be around people... :)

go to a shelter, pick some damaged, sorry looking little bugger that no-one else "wanted", and you can save each other xox

When I have my financial matters sorted out, I may look for a puppy from the local shelter.
Animals are far more loyal than people.

If I were going to have any kind of free-roaming pet, it'd probably be a cat. They're a little more self sufficient when the time calls for it, and they're easier to house train/keep a place clean.

I got a puppy to replace the ex when he left. She is now 1 1/2 and I would not be without her. She is loving, faithful and always wants a cuddle, a dog is a mans best friend. Oh, and a womans!

Well, here's my experience. I tried getting a pet to help with my loneliness and it didn't help, having an animal around just isn't the same as hanging around someone with the same intellectual, emotional, and cognitive abilities as you. It's just better (for me anyways) to have a homo sapien around.
It's been said a million times already, and honestly it kinda bugs me when I hear it, but it's important to learn to be happy when you're alone. I'm having problems with this myself, so thats pretty much all I can say.

nerdygirl said:
Yabai.Youth, that is why my ultimate goal is to acquire a pet human.

I will be your pet human if you want me but you must take me for walks, feed me, play with me, say silly words to me just to make me confused, wash me and let me sleep on the end of your bed. :p

Oh and not take me to the kennel's when you go on holiday... i hate the kennel's.

The animal can't be a crutch for your loneliness. You have to overcome it on your own. That being said no problem in getting a dog. I have one and I love him. They are man's best friend after all.

Cynic said:
The animal can't be a crutch for your loneliness. You have to overcome it on your own. That being said no problem in getting a dog. I have one and I love him. They are man's best friend after all.

^^^^^+1

Mooky2009 said:
I was just wondering how many of you own a dog and how it helps with your loneliness and/or depression?

I adopted my pound puppy when i was going through a really bad time. i was so depressed. she helped me get out of it. i had to take care of her and that required getting up, getting dressed, and talking to people. i consider my dog as my saving grace. she wasnt the end all to my depression, but she helped me out of my worst.

ywah, dogs are really cool, they kill your loneliness. I have a dog, she is 10 years old, her name is Nala, she is everything to me. She understands my lonelyness, she is sooooooooo cute. i love her :)

ShybutHi said:
I will be your pet human if you want me but you must take me for walks, feed me, play with me, say silly words to me just to make me confused, wash me and let me sleep on the end of your bed. :p

Oh and not take me to the kennel's when you go on holiday... i hate the kennel's.

You may be my pet human, but you must sleep in a cage at the foot of my bed, perform tricks on command, such as shaving my legs and washing my hair, and you must wear a collar. Also, you cannot put apostrophes in places they don't belong. I'm ridiculously particular.

Latest posts

Back