I'm scared of college.. and growing up.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleisg

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that from a young age, I matured a little quicker in logic than the other kiddies and found myself understanding some of the pains of being a teenager before I was even 13.

So I will be a senior in high school this fall. I have a few things scheduled because there is only ONE art school that I really really want to go to.

But the whole process of applying to college scares me. Applications, forms, waivers, tours, interviews, art portfolios, an ESSAY!

I feel overwhelmed before I even start. And I already have a tough time
putting my art portfolio together, because I don't even know where to begin with that. How can I survive college if I can't even handle applying to it?

I am also considering getting a dorm at this college, despite it being very expensive. (That's NYC for ya, XD )
I don't know if my mom will let me, since the college isn't even an hour away! But still.. I want to get out there. I don't want to live with her.

The fact of the matter is, I still feel like a child at heart, all these responsibilities scare me, but I really want to experience college and make awesome memories (hopefully?). I don't know if I'm ready to grow up and take this seriously..

Gah, I'm confused.

lol...everyone is scared of change. i am a sub teacher and well i see this all the time. kids nervous about going to college and well the whole application process. your teacher and couselors...even your subs will help you out in getting ready for college. just ask! i know if a student came up to me....i would be happy to help! trust me you are not the only student who is going to ask for help in doing this stuff.

and trust me....college was much better than high school for me. so do not worry about that. change is good. so embrace the years you have in college. have fun! stop worrying!!!!!

I know how you feel. I've always been scared about growing up.
One of the best ways that kind of pushed me towards getting there is first getting a job, booking my own doctor's appointments, doing my own grocery shoppings. It's these little things you do that kind of remind you "okay, look I can take care of myself. I'm fine no matter where I go."
Even if you don't get in, what's more important than college is having a skill. You can have all the college you want but it doesn't mean a job and a paycheck. One of my friends is 29 and graduated magna cum lade (definite SP), but she didn't work through college so now she has all these certificates and no experience or skill. Her field is competitive and not always hiring, so what can she do in the mean time while she waits for an opening? Nothing.
So even if you don't get into the school you want to, there are other ways to go about life.
Just start becoming more independent and doing things for you. You'll feel way more secure of yourself. :)

It definitely can be scary to jump out into college and the world. Think back about going into High School, and maybe you were scared then as well. It's not the same thing of course, but the feelings of nervous and scared are probably similar. and then once you made it into high school things seemed to turn out ok. Like I said of course it's not the same thing at all but I believe that thinking of somewhat similar past issues and remembering the positive way things turn out is a good way to try and calm the nerves. Maybe practicing some stuff of the stuff you might be worried about, so that when times comes you have some sort of idea of what's to come. And sometimes even trying to convince yourself that it will all be fine and you can handle it helps a ton. You can do it!

Scared is good. It means you're doing something outside your comfort zone.

Thats a good thing.

Getting out of your comfort zone is definitely a good thing. It's not odd to be nervous in this situation, I was before starting college. But it will be worth and you might just have a very good time while there.

Ya I know what you mean filling out forms is well just lame,

it took a lot of parential motivation and nagging for me to get the forms and applications sent out in time, but I lucked out sincce I had a good enough gpa , and all my core classes I didn't have to write an essay woot, which was great becuase I was already writting essays nonstop that year for my ap psyche class.

I am also afriad of all the responsibilities, liken having to pay for rent and utilities D; but I don't want to spend my money.

BUt hey you still got one more year to get stuff together, I'm sure after you're fourth year of high school you'll be just antsy to get to college.

And my first year of college wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, I made it through all of my classes, I even made some friends worked a little I got itno rock climbing and took a kickboxing class.

Point being college is a great place, just don't get totally wasted ( moderate drinking is fine, but for the love of god people, stop when you're drunk) One guy in my dorm got kicked out seriously a week before the end of the school year because he got caught with his 3rd public intox.

So don't do that go to classes ( although I didn't have the greatest attendance record but I kept up with all of my essays and made up my labs) So you'll be fine and the cafiteria food is pretty good. ( at the hillcrest caf they had a freakin ice cream machine which was fabolous XD

So don't worry work hard and enjoy your last year in highschool and you'll be fine

:)

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone.
I really did think that it was just me who was the oddball in this situation. But I'm glad to know that there are other people here who went through the same things that I am going through right now.
:D

You know, everytime I start a new year, I usually have a quick crying spat in the first week or two. College was no different. New people, MASSIVE campus, having to take care of my own education. Definitely scary.

So it was little surprise then that I had my little freakout. I'm almost used to it at this point; and expected it. Once it was over though, I just accepted that it was going to be hard, and it got easier from there. It's hard at the beginning. But you will find your niche if you don't stress over it too much.

Btw, I had to do a portfolio during my major Leaving Cert exams, erm like A-levels or final exams in Highschool I suppose. It's a lot a pressure, so I recommend looking into doing a portfolio course if they're around your area. Or give me a ding; trust me, I know what it's like to deal with a portfolio while trying to study lol.

Same thing here. I am scared of growing up...but then again I contradict myself as in a way I can't wait to grow up as well..and graduate and have a life of my own. Things are complicated right now especially with my studies in the way. 2 more years and then hopefully I'd be able to have a life of my own.

I'm getting the sense that despite your fears, you are also excited about college. Focus on that. I get nostalgic hearing about high school students applying for colleges...it was definitely hard work, but I also remembering just being so excited about moving on from high school and going off to college, imagining what my life might be like. (I guess it helped that I hated high school though.)

Take every step of the application process very seriously. Do your research on all the tricks on how to put together good applications. Don't apply to just one school, unless the one you really want to go to is a non-competitive one. Apply to 5-6, with a mix of a "reaching" school or two, realistic schools, and backup schools.

Being scared is perfectly okay! Turn that fear into energy and anticipation! :)

Latest posts

Back