recommend me some "foreign" movies...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgecrusher

Reaction score
i live in the US. i have seen some really good foreign movies but id like some recommendations. not any martial arts movies though, i have seen some of those that i have liked but thats not really my thing. i dont mind if they arent dubbed because i usually watch them with subtitles anyway because the english voiceovers are usually terrible, lol. i am mostly into sci-fi stuff but it doesnt have to be sci-fi. i like stuff based on true stories or people also. i have seen and liked:

pans labrynth
time crimes
brotherhood of the wolf
let the right one in
night watch (still need to watch daywatch)
returner
dead snow

a few that i plan on watching at some point are:

daywatch
city of god
the orphanage
the host
the girl with the dragon tattoo

I don't recommend anything because peoples taste vary and also i don't seem to watch much Sci-Fi but some i enjoyed were...

R-Point
Tae Guk GI
Rabbit-Proof Fence
The Tunnel
Flame and Citron
The Grocer's Son
The Stoning of Soraya M.
The Crimson Rivers
Stray Dog
Once Were Warriors
Palabras Encadenadas
I'm Not Scared
Amores Perros
La fille de Keltoum
Let the Right One In

If you're in the mood for a nice Russian war film (about the Russo-Afghan war, 1970s-80s)... here ya go:

9 ROTA (9th battalion)

Also, some Russian gangsta movies worth a look:

BOOMER (BMW)
BOOMER II (BMW 2)

And for the Japo-kung-fu lovers:

Seven Samurai

HERO is amazing. Its got martial arts but I dont like kung fu moives and I loved this one. Its so beautifully made.

BitterLove said:
HERO is amazing. Its got martial arts but I dont like kung fu moives and I loved this one. Its so beautifully made.

yea i saw that, i liked it. i liked house of flying daggers too.

Europa Europa
Ostensibly the true story of a Polish Jew in 1939 who ends up hiding out first with the Wermacht (the regular German Arrmy in WW2) and then in the Hitler Youth.
Very Powerful Film

tampopo

(watching this will make you hungry so make sure you have good food in the house)

anything from showcase with nudity in it. That channel got me through puberty!

Based on you liking "Dead Snow" you may also find "La Horde" worthwhile. It is a French cops/criminals/zombie apocalypse film.

la-horde-poster.jpg

Based on you liking "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" you may also like "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest".

Watch-The-Girl-Who-Played-With-Fire-Online-Free-2010-210x300.jpg

Chugyeogja - The Chaser:
[video=youtube]

Other foreign films:

Belgium: De Zaak Alzheimer - Dossier K - Loft (watch this if you want to see the original instead of the upcoming Hollywood remake). All of these are 'ok' and 'watchable' ;)

The Netherlands: De Tweeling (2002) is supposed to be quite good, haven't seen it yet though. There's also 'Wilde Mossels' (2000). Oorlogswinter (2008) is quite interesting.

France: Plenty of good movies to come from France. It starts with the Fantomas series in case you're ok with films from the silent era. Furthermore I'd recommend almost anything with Jean Gabin, especially the flicks from the poetic realism era (france 30's). Movies like La Grande Illusion (1937), Hôtel du Nord (1938), Le Quai des brumes (1938), Le Jour se lève (1939) ... are all works of art. There's more modern ones aswell ofcourse, like Le fabuleux destin d'amelie poulain, but the list would become endless if I list all of them here.

Germany: Great movies from the silent era, the great days of expressionism and caligarism. Anything by Fritz Lang/Murnau is worth watching. Modern movies: Das leben der Anderen, Goodbye Lenin, Das Experiment, Der Baader Meinhof Komplex, Buddenbrooks, Tod in Venedig (1975 this one, so not that modern), Das Boot (1981) ...

Italy: I'm a fan of Luchino Visconti, but I know these kind of movies aren't for everyone. I'd really recommend 'Il Gattopardo' (1963) though.

South-Korea: Juyuso Seubgyuksageun (Attack the gas station!) (1999). I think you'll enjoy this one ;)

Romania: A fost sau n-a fost? (12:08 East of Bucharest) (2006). I loved this one.

Sweden/Scandinavia: I see you've listed the girl with the dragon tattoo, so I resume you've seen the complete original trilogy. There's some great early scandinavian movies by Sjöstrom, and there's ofcourse the work of Ingmar Bergman. I quite enjoyed Jalla! Jalla! (2000) so i'd recommend that one aswell.

Another enjoyable movie is 'No Man's Land' (2001). It's about the Yugoslav wars in the beginning of the nineties.

Hmmm, I was going to give a quick overview, but I should've just posted a list of movie titles since I've got way too many titles in my head. Would have been much simpler and it would've probably helped you more ;)

Latest posts

Back