Does anyone enjoy being alone yet still get very lonely?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keiramon

Reaction score
I am new here when I actually googled "lonely life" and came across here. What a great site so far, I look forward to more responses and writing them!

Anyway, I'd like to start off by saying I'm a very introverted person. Like very. I can't stand being around large groups of people (at least not for very long if I have no choice) I work in customer service and at the end of my shifts I feel so emotionally drained that I look forward to having a few days off before I come back in again. Rinse and repeat. If someone ever does hang out with me, I really only do it once a month.

Yet, I'm still a very lonely person. I suppose I should say whenever I get a weekend off (not that I work very late on weekends to begin with but still..it takes up half my day) nobody seems to be around and wanting to do something or they all live in their own lala land. I have a very low selection of people I truly call friends that live nearby and obviously, I do not have a boyfriend.
I don't drive, I live kind of on the outskirts of a major city and I still live with my parents. My parents don't really include me in any conversations and just hang out with each other.

I also live in Canada and it gets very cold here very fast during the Fall. Even getting outside just to take a walk or get fresh air is depressing because I can't stay outside very long. Going to work has been my only means of leaving the house so far because I have no other reason too.

I feel very depressed and lonely yet when I go to work and come home I enjoy being alone.

keiramon said:
I am new here when I actually googled "lonely life" and came across here. What a great site so far, I look forward to more responses and writing them!

Anyway, I'd like to start off by saying I'm a very introverted person. Like very. I can't stand being around large groups of people (at least not for very long if I have no choice) I work in customer service and at the end of my shifts I feel so emotionally drained that I look forward to having a few days off before I come back in again. Rinse and repeat. If someone ever does hang out with me, I really only do it once a month.

Yet, I'm still a very lonely person. I suppose I should say whenever I get a weekend off (not that I work very late on weekends to begin with but still..it takes up half my day) nobody seems to be around and wanting to do something or they all live in their own lala land. I have a very low selection of people I truly call friends that live nearby and obviously, I do not have a boyfriend.
I don't drive, I live kind of on the outskirts of a major city and I still live with my parents. My parents don't really include me in any conversations and just hang out with each other.

I also live in Canada and it gets very cold here very fast during the Fall. Even getting outside just to take a walk or get fresh air is depressing because I can't stay outside very long. Going to work has been my only means of leaving the house so far because I have no other reason too.

I feel very depressed and lonely yet when I go to work and come home I enjoy being alone.

Yeah,

I pushed away most of my old friends because I wanted to be alone,
Now . . I really don't have anyone I can consider my 'friend' anymore, and I do get lonely.
(Well, I do have some here on ALL)

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Oh well.

Hey there!

First off, dont feel bad... its like that for everyone.

And maybe youre not 'depressed' per se, maybe just have the blues. Actually joined this website, because of your post.

As an extrovert/only child, I TOTALLY understand... enjoying being alone, but then sometimes feeling lonely. Went thru 2 yrs of no car, and it was miserable. But atleast you have your parents, (I have none, was adopted) maybe you can have a game night with them, and then maybe a few neighbors. Or 'Lonely hearts' club, get some singles together to mix, meet, talk and chill together.

Being in Canada, sure the weather isnt helping, trying Meetup.com, thats done WONDERS for my social life. Met so many new and interesting people I wouldve never met.

Lastly, hate to preach/lecture.. but its for youre own good, Ok ready?

In the end, best thing for you, is to sit down make a roadmap of things you want out of life. House, car, family, career, health.. whatever. You make up your own goals. Then (working your way backwards) write out a detailed list on how to get those things.

ie: health.. losing weight> diet > exercise> pick new physical hobby> try dancing or a sport... BINGO!!!

You might take dance lessons, and meet people that way. OK.. not if dance lessons are too much, see if you can rent dance dvds from the library for free , or netflix , or your cable/satellit provide... or youtube tutorial. Then search the net for parties, with those kinda dances, like bellydancing, burlesque, tap/swing.

:D thats what I did, and it sparked a completely different passion.

or

ie: College degree> school (campus or online) > maybe online> pick a school> register> tuition plan> make payments> NEED MORE MONEY> 2nd job or selling things. (like crafts, artwork, old furniture, clothings, neighbors and family stuff

Now you have a goal and an action plan to accomplish it, youll then meet people along the way, youll be able to socialize with.

If you live near a town, borrow a car, or make your way there... and check out a local bar/band/lounge, make friends with the bartender/owner... and theyll help you meet people.

Try getting involved in local government, charity or old folks home.

Theres alot. Sometimes, as a singleton, youll have to kinda DONATE your time to a cause... but it'll come around. Wear something cheerful and interesting an smile. People will gravitate towards you.

When youre in the house alone, or to yourself, develop your talents.

keep your space, light happy... no black walls and dark music. LOL...

If you live in the woods, plant some exotic herbs or raise bunnies or something.

Think its not depression, just boredom maybe. :)

At least you still have a support group Keiramon. Your parents are with you.

I have neither family nor friends nor a girlfriend. I'm 30, I work hard at my job but still could not afford a car. I've lived alone for close to a decade. I'm introverted, I do not enjoy being around large crowds either.

On my weekends, people around me just aren't around! They all have their own outings. I wish I had a group of people whom I could hang out with, but alas, I have none and haven't had any for years. I only have 4 or 5 good friends whom I never get to see anymore because I live and work in a foreign country.

I do enjoy being alone but I do get lonely at times. Like many, I want to desensitize myself completely to the feeling of loneliness and sadness. I want to just keep working 'till it kills me.

I never get emails, texts, calls, or even replies to my posts from anyone at any time of year or at any given occasion. My mobile phone only has numbers of my superiors at work and some companies.

I am alone and from here on in, I might be until I pass away.

All I really want in life now is really just to have a beautiful and honorable death and be forgotten. I don't fear death or dying. I just want my death to be meaningful. If I happen to find an opportunity to save a persons life at the expense of my own, I wouldn't even think twice. I just want out. I'm through hitchhiking in this life.

hunnyb8975 said:
Hey there!

First off, dont feel bad... its like that for everyone.

And maybe youre not 'depressed' per se, maybe just have the blues. Actually joined this website, because of your post.

As an extrovert/only child, I TOTALLY understand... enjoying being alone, but then sometimes feeling lonely. Went thru 2 yrs of no car, and it was miserable. But atleast you have your parents, (I have none, was adopted) maybe you can have a game night with them, and then maybe a few neighbors. Or 'Lonely hearts' club, get some singles together to mix, meet, talk and chill together.

Being in Canada, sure the weather isnt helping, trying Meetup.com, thats done WONDERS for my social life. Met so many new and interesting people I wouldve never met.

Lastly, hate to preach/lecture.. but its for youre own good, Ok ready?

In the end, best thing for you, is to sit down make a roadmap of things you want out of life. House, car, family, career, health.. whatever. You make up your own goals. Then (working your way backwards) write out a detailed list on how to get those things.

ie: health.. losing weight> diet > exercise> pick new physical hobby> try dancing or a sport... BINGO!!!

You might take dance lessons, and meet people that way. OK.. not if dance lessons are too much, see if you can rent dance dvds from the library for free , or netflix , or your cable/satellit provide... or youtube tutorial. Then search the net for parties, with those kinda dances, like bellydancing, burlesque, tap/swing.

:D thats what I did, and it sparked a completely different passion.

or

ie: College degree> school (campus or online) > maybe online> pick a school> register> tuition plan> make payments> NEED MORE MONEY> 2nd job or selling things. (like crafts, artwork, old furniture, clothings, neighbors and family stuff

Now you have a goal and an action plan to accomplish it, youll then meet people along the way, youll be able to socialize with.

If you live near a town, borrow a car, or make your way there... and check out a local bar/band/lounge, make friends with the bartender/owner... and theyll help you meet people.

Try getting involved in local government, charity or old folks home.

Theres alot. Sometimes, as a singleton, youll have to kinda DONATE your time to a cause... but it'll come around. Wear something cheerful and interesting an smile. People will gravitate towards you.

When youre in the house alone, or to yourself, develop your talents.

keep your space, light happy... no black walls and dark music. LOL...

If you live in the woods, plant some exotic herbs or raise bunnies or something.

Think its not depression, just boredom maybe. :)

Thanks for your advice. I'm really always grateful when people try to help.

Yes, I agree I feel bored a lot but I feel very unmotivated with my life sometimes too. Depression can be a cause of it, heck I used to take antidepressants to help give my life more meaning but I stopped taking them because of the side effects.

A lot of what you suggested are stuff I have tried to do (I tried online school..failed miserably because I've been out of school for so long that I couldn't do it without help. Plus I had some things happen to make me lose my focus etc.)

One big thing I am trying to work out is find another job. I want full-time hours, so I can save up more and sooner or later and see what I can do from there. I just don't get enough pay and hours at my current job and I want to stick more locally.

I tend to talk to myself a lot when I'm alone LOL. I don't care though, it's usually like having a good conversation with myself where nobody can talk back.

I've been trying to take better care of myself. I used to smoke and quit only 3 weeks ago. It's been hard but smoking really takes a toll on your body and eventually I would be regretting it. Exercise is something hard to do (especially in Canadian winters BLAH) but I think I can work something out now, there's a local gym nearby that I had forgotten about!

I'm going to go with what you said, however, write a big list of things down. Writing seems to help...

Olde shoe said:
At least you still have a support group Keiramon. Your parents are with you.

I have neither family nor friends nor a girlfriend. I'm 30, I work hard at my job but still could not afford a car. I've lived alone for close to a decade. I'm introverted, I do not enjoy being around large crowds either.

On my weekends, people around me just aren't around! They all have their own outings. I wish I had a group of people whom I could hang out with, but alas, I have none and haven't had any for years. I only have 4 or 5 good friends whom I never get to see anymore because I live and work in a foreign country.

I do enjoy being alone but I do get lonely at times. Like many, I want to desensitize myself completely to the feeling of loneliness and sadness. I want to just keep working 'till it kills me.

I never get emails, texts, calls, or even replies to my posts from anyone at any time of year or at any given occasion. My mobile phone only has numbers of my superiors at work and some companies.

I am alone and from here on in, I might be until I pass away.

All I really want in life now is really just to have a beautiful and honorable death and be forgotten. I don't fear death or dying. I just want my death to be meaningful. If I happen to find an opportunity to save a persons life at the expense of my own, I wouldn't even think twice. I just want out. I'm through hitchhiking in this life.

Well, I am replying! So that has to count ^.^

aside from that, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope any of my words bring comfort, even just to a small extent. I'm only 20 but I soon see myself living alone for years; I've never really cared for having a boyfriend nor ever really saw myself getting married, having kids. Sure, it would be nice but I see it now as if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

I'm a little awkward at writing sentences but if you ever want to talk to me, feel free too! :) I might not be the happiest person on the planet..but nothing makes me more happy than making other people happy..or smile even.

Yes, I like being alone but it gets so lonely. It doesn't make any sense... :(

the title of this thread kinda sums me up. i am not exactly a people person at this point in my life. i have found that most people tend to disappoint or not stick around in life. as a result i actually do like my alone time. but at the same time i wish i could find that special someone. i guess i want to find someone to be lonely with if that makes any sense.

edgecrusher said:
the title of this thread kinda sums me up. i am not exactly a people person at this point in my life. i have found that most people tend to disappoint or not stick around in life. as a result i actually do like my alone time. but at the same time i wish i could find that special someone. i guess i want to find someone to be lonely with if that makes any sense.

Hmm. Sounds like something I could agree too.

keiramon said:

I can certainly understand this. I work in customer service as well, drained is the exact word to describe how I feel when the day is done. You're definately not alone there. When I come home, I just don't want to deal with anybody.

Yep, that is me most of the time. But I've come to realize that this whole 'liking to be alone' for me has become just a mantra which I keep telling myself in my mind, in order to make up for the fact that I have no one really close in my life. It's always easier to not have something which you do not crave. Took me some time to realize that.

But all that taken aside, I still feel relatively comfortable being alone. So I keep balancing between two states of mind - wanting to have companionship and wanting some alone time. Heh, at least I have one of them.

I can relate to this. I am a solitary person by nature but at the same time I yearn for companionship from the opposite sex on some level or other.

i was just wondering.... what kind of environment do you live in? is your house generally clean or messy? this can make a difference in how you feel :)

Latest posts

Back