Why do I always feel guilty when there really isn't any reason to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superunknown

Reaction score
I always feel like I'm never good enough for anything e.g. - job, gf, friends, etc. Whenever someone helps me out I feel like I'm a bad person or something. I'm waiting on a job that a good friend at a company has recommended me for and all I feel is guilt. Why? I'm qualified, smart, respectable. I just hate asking for favors and I don't like to bother people. There are so many people I know that rise and rise by using and being the squeaky wheel with ZERO integrity and don't give a honeysuckle about anyone but themselves. I dunno, sorry for wasting thread space. I just don't know why I always feel so bad about my own existence... Anyone else have this problem? How can I try to overcome it?

:(

Well
Surely your guilt has reasons for it to exist
e.g : you may feel that you're not good enough for your gf b'coz you may hurt her,
maybe you felt that someone else deserve/ need the job more instead of you, etc

you can try to find the problems and solve it(not as easy as it sounds)
OR you can try to change those feelings of Guilt into gratitude
be thankful of things you get, appreciate and took responsibility of what you get
It may be hard at first but gradually and hopefully those feelings of gratitude may overcome your guilt
asking favours and returning favours is just part of your life
people do need each other to live ;P

As with feeling bad about your existence, i do have that feeling too
i used to think that "if i dont exist, surely bla"" will be more happy and such"
but i just tried to deal with it and live life cos you do exist
furthermore you're qualified, smart and respectable =)
so why not make your existence worthwhile and memorable

Think that you do deserve things that is given to you
and try to do the best in what you've been given as responsibility
don't give up on enjoying the finer things in life
Best of luck!!!

P.s: there's lots of thread space to waste, so no worries :D

I know guilt well - I think I'm on it's speed dial - so I really relate to what you've said. I try, wherever possible, to make myself worthy of what I've been given. I know I can't but if I try *really* hard then maybe, just maybe, it'll be ok. Sorry it's probably not what you want to hear but it's the best I've come up with (not very good I know, sorry). If you come up with anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Super unknown! When I found guilt working with people is that when people are feeling guilty it is because they feel like they are not lining up to a specific person that they believed that they should be or some consciously that they gauging their life with. How can you overcome it? I think, first of all, getting clarity on who you are and who you see yourself as a person that you are trying to be or you want to be. Gauging your life in the frozen to the person that you want to be, I think that would be a huge help to help in figure out why you feel guilt and how to get rid of it.

Most people living with the kind of problem you describe can find the reason in the dim distant past. It generally comes from mom or dad or both. "I'm not here to pick up after you!" "Why are you so much trouble?" "You don't know what I had to sacrifice by bringing you into the world!" and so on and on and on and on ad nauseum.

Unfortunately, it happens for too many people.

There is only one person you have to concern yourself with, and that is you. There is no way to undo the past - it's done - and no way to predict a future that has not happened yet. But you can plan for it, and you can find meaning in every moment of your life, even during those times when life does not seem to have much meaning.

I would ask, how do you feel when you do something for someone else? I would also ask, do you weigh people by their accomplishments or status? If the answer to the first is resentment, then you're not friend material. If the answer is yes to the second question, then call yourself "Shallow Hal." The odds are that you enjoy doing things for other people when you can, and that you weigh others based on things like how they treat you, and how you perceive the people themselves - not on wealth, status, or job etc.

I would take a bet you're a pretty cool person... Someone I'd really like to know.

Latest posts

Back