Is it weird that I'm 20 and still living with my mom?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost Boy

Reaction score
It's something I've been thinking for a while. It's not like I wanna live with her for the rest of my life but I don't I'll be finding my own place anytime soon. I've gotten this idea from some people that I was supposed to flown the coop by now. I will admit that I am scared of going out into the real world. I still feel there is much I need to learn before I get my own place. Plus I'm still working on getting a job.

So I wanna know y'all thoughts on this. Is this normal or am I going to be a Basement Dweller?

Just remember that you can change it any time you want. I lived with my Mom until I was 20 but that was because I was going to school and the cost of living was too high around my area to afford living alone and paying for school. Things changed when I found a roommate, which then cut the costs in half. There's plenty you can do to cut the costs of living on your own.

Have you never had a job? Do you have anything past a high school education? If not, the best advice I can give is to go to college and live on campus. But I guess it all depends on your priorities. If you're comfortable working (more than one?) a relatively low paying job, then more power to you. The main point, however, is that you shouldn't spend any more time than necessary living with your parents. You will be so much more happier on your own...that I can guarantee.

Ghost Boy said:
It's something I've been thinking for a while. It's not like I wanna live with her for the rest of my life but I don't I'll be finding my own place anytime soon. I've gotten this idea from some people that I was supposed to flown the coop by now. I will admit that I am scared of going out into the real world. I still feel there is much I need to learn before I get my own place. Plus I'm still working on getting a job.

So I wanna know y'all thoughts on this. Is this normal or am I going to be a Basement Dweller?

Don't feel bad I'm 25 and still live with my parents.

Well I recently completed college and have associate's degree in computer networking. The problem I'm having is breaking into my job area. I really don't have any job experience in my career nor that I have never had a legitimate job(other than Volunteering). It just seems that all the companies so far want someone who has at least 2 years experience. I really wished I went to a college where I can live on campus but I couldn't afford it.

The best way to get a job in an IT related field is to go through a staffing firm. You may have to start with menial call center work or Helpdesk...but they're the easiest way to break into the field with no experience.

If that isn't working or you don't like being on the phone, go for a retail chain that will allow you to work in their PC departments. Staples, Office Max, Best Buy, Geek Squad, etc. will all give you relevant experience so you can offer something to the higher end companies you want to work for.

Either way, the IT field is dealing with people all day, every day. I'm making a large assumption, considering that you're on this forum, that dealing with people may not be a strong attribute for you yet, but that's what prospective employers in the IT field consider the greatest need in their employee's. Working retail or call center jobs are a fantastic way to build those skills. If you want to keep trying with interviews within the actual IT world, the best you can do is 'wow' them with your personable skills and confidence that you know what you're doing.

This coming from a guy who worked 4-5 years in the industry. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the advice. I got job application for Office Depot and my college is going to do a mock interview for me to help with real interviews.

It's only a problem if you think it's a problem. Millions upon millions of people still live with their parents into their upper 20s. It just depends on your economic situation and if you're still in school, etc etc.

Badjedidude said:
It's only a problem if you think it's a problem. Millions upon millions of people still live with their parents into their upper 20s. It just depends on your economic situation and if you're still in school, etc etc.

Exactly. And with the way things are there are a lot of families living together, even ones that are married and have their own children. Some live with their parents or visa versa.

If it's a problem, then it's something to work for and look forward to.

I recently re-started my degree, so I live at home half the time and will do so for the next few years. My parents understand and are helping me as they can so I can study law.

As long as you're not imposing on your Mum, I'm sure she doesn't mind.

Chin up :)

It's not weird. I would live with my parents for as long as I could, if it would be possible (e.g. If school/work was nearer). But then again, I have a different culture and I don't have any idea of the kind of pressure a 20+ someone still living with their parents would have to face with if their living in, let say, a western country. Here, it is common for 20+ (or even 30+, 40+ someone) to live with their parents. It's known as extended family setting, since it is considered a taboo to put your parents in a house for oldies. They live with their kids (married or not) and the kids are expected to take care of them. But even with the pressure of culture, it would really boil down to what you think. If you are ok with it, if your pride is not being wounded with that matter, then so be it. But if you think you're better off by your own, then get your own place. But don't forget to visit your parents ^^

Anyway, good luck and hope you will sort out what you really want :)

Don't feel bad. Find a job and work and save up money and then plan to find an apartment.

Well I'm glad to see this is more common than I thought. I'm not really gung-ho about getting my place right now but I am seeking employment. I just went to my college where a lady from the staff helped spruce up my resume since I have no experience in my field and gave me some pointers about interviews.

Is it weird that I'm 29 and my mom's been living with me?
for the last half-decade?
yes, I believe it is...

Ghost Boy said:

I know people who are almost 40 still living with their parents. With the economic situation, it's hard to bust-out on your own, you're only 20. I don't think it's weird, but maybe you should have a long-term plan to become independent.

Oh, my father-in-law lives with US. That is a little weird for me.

Latest posts

Back