I feel like I have been lonely and awkward my whole life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diane85

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm 26 years old and I have felt lonely my whole life. I'm the youngest of four children. My three older siblings were a lot older than me. I grew up alone at home quite a bit. Most of the relatives on my mother's side were much older than her and most of my first cousins were 12 or more years older than me. I was very lonely a for events involving my mother's side of the family. I did befriend some of the children of my cousins who were around my age or a few years older than me. But it was always awkward because their parents' first cousin.

Most of my dad's side of the family was always cold and hateful to me. One of my father's sister never married and she favored most of my cousins except me. She always took several of them to movies and other places.

Growing up I only had five close friends that I meet at school. I feel that I'm ugly and awkward. I'm only 4"9 and feel out of place with a lot of people because of my height.

After high school,I found it hard to make friends in college. Right now I'm very lonely. I work as a technical writer and I work mostly alone or from home. My position doesn't require me to be around the people who work for the same company as me.

In the past 2 years, I feel extremely lonely. I find it hard to connect with the friends that I have because they are married and have children. I feel weird being around them and their families.

Lately, I have been getting depressed more and more. Recently a cousin of mine came into my city for a big event and she invited many relatives to go to concert and festival and she didn't invite me. I was really upset and I spent days crying about it.

I have thought about going to a therapist but part of the reason I don't go is because therapists probably have been lonely like me.

My loneliness is very hard for me. I try to make friends but I can't click with people and I'm always worried about saying or doing something wrong. I'm always getting left out by relatives and I'm starting really hate them because of it.

Anyway that is what is going on with me.

I think you should go see a therapist. If there isn't any improvement in three months, stop seeing him/her.

About your loneliness, you just need to get out there. Out of your apartment! Maybe it seems scary or uncomfortable, but you simply have to. You need something to do that gets you in touch with other people. A "social" hobby (i.e you meet new people doing it), volunteer working etc. Try to be open and positive, just chat about easy topics when you are talking to people. If you keep it light and happy, there is very little you can do to "scare them off". If you get onto heavier topics then there MIGHT be reason to be scared about making a fool out of yourself or whatever.
Your height is one hundred percent irrelevant, and you will see this if you start socializing.

To sum it up, you really just need to get out and about in the world. Being here on ALL can be a helpful thing, but it won't solve anything, nothing will, unless you get out and socialize with people. If at first you don't succeed, you will learn quickly how to interact with people (if this is a problem for you). While getting out, call your (old) friends, suggest doing something! A movie? Cafe? Just take initiative! If you have fallen out of your social network, you simply need to work to get back in it. This happened to me and nothing happened until I took action, then it went like a breeze.

Just please don't sit inside and feel that your life is lonely and miserable, because you can change this.

I hope I didn't come across as harsh, or not understanding your problems, because I do. But wallowing in sorrow will not get you anywhere, and I think and hope you came here for suggestions for solutions to your problem.

if you're still feeling bad and wanna talk you can talk to me,just send me a pm.and a sort of extreme,possible solution might be to see about getting a different job or working for some other company where you actually go into a building everyday and work with coworkers.might be something to consider if its at all possible.

diane85 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm 26 years old and I have felt lonely my whole life. I'm the youngest of four children. My three older siblings were a lot older than me. I grew up alone at home quite a bit. Most of the relatives on my mother's side were much older than her and most of my first cousins were 12 or more years older than me. I was very lonely a for events involving my mother's side of the family. I did befriend some of the children of my cousins who were around my age or a few years older than me. But it was always awkward because their parents' first cousin.

Most of my dad's side of the family was always cold and hateful to me. One of my father's sister never married and she favored most of my cousins except me. She always took several of them to movies and other places.

Growing up I only had five close friends that I meet at school. I feel that I'm ugly and awkward. I'm only 4"9 and feel out of place with a lot of people because of my height.

After high school,I found it hard to make friends in college. Right now I'm very lonely. I work as a technical writer and I work mostly alone or from home. My position doesn't require me to be around the people who work for the same company as me.

In the past 2 years, I feel extremely lonely. I find it hard to connect with the friends that I have because they are married and have children. I feel weird being around them and their families.

Lately, I have been getting depressed more and more. Recently a cousin of mine came into my city for a big event and she invited many relatives to go to concert and festival and she didn't invite me. I was really upset and I spent days crying about it.

I have thought about going to a therapist but part of the reason I don't go is because therapists probably have been lonely like me.

My loneliness is very hard for me. I try to make friends but I can't click with people and I'm always worried about saying or doing something wrong. I'm always getting left out by relatives and I'm starting really hate them because of it.

Anyway that is what is going on with me.

Sorry to hear that. I kind of relate to some of the things you are going through. I hope you can find something to do that you're really passionate about and work from there. At least it takes your mind off about not having friends, your appearance, etc.

hi there!

first of all, i want to express how sorry i feel for you. it is a terrible ordeal what you're going through, but luckily for you, there are many of us on this site that feel the same way and that have been through the same experiences that can offer you some words of advice.

i'm about your age, and i've also felt very lonely for most of my life. i guess it all started when i was entering my teen years. from that point up until now, i've been in extreme social exile, and have spent years in solitude. i've gotten used to it, and accepted that it's just the way that i am. you however may not feel the same way.

i would suggest, if it's a viable option, that you seek professional help. these things can be cured you know. you might want to consider seeing a therapist or maybe a psychiatrist to try and help you out with what you're going through. you just have to make the decision to get better. also, i've found that helping others is quite therapeutic. i spend a lot of time on this site just trying to help people with their problems (though to be honest, i don't always give the best advice), but you might want to try other methods like going to volunteer wherever people may need help. i'm not sure what exactly a technical writer is, but if you're a good writer, you might want to consider writing children's books or penning your own novel or something along those lines. keeping a diary of your thoughts is great too. i keep one and i like to read my past entries every once in a while. it feels really great to be my own crowd. contrary to what it might seem like, it actually makes me feel less lonely. if all else fails, there's always religion. seeking God for guidance, help, and solace could be the greatest decision you'll ever make. you'll never know until you try.

i wish you luck on your ventures.

-freedom

I can relate with you, the feeling of not belonging and standing out from a group is a strong theme in my life. The worry of "Connecting" & "Clicking" with people is something that races through my head when i meet someone, and that holds me back a lot as i am not sure how to do it. My social skills has diminished a lot, and i need to re-connect, so i have decided to work voluntarily (try to help somebody else, make myself useful) and from there do a bit of exploration and re-connect. But i know 100% how you feel, you should be happy that you found this site, your with like minded people that can help you, so if you ever feel the need to talk etc..dont hesitate to pm anyone on here, myself and the others im sure are all willing to help and talk. Check out the Chat section of this website.

Latest posts

Back