The Swastika

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
I have an interest and love of symbols. One that has gotten a bad rap has been the swastika. It is a 3,000 year old symbol used in various ancient civilizations. The swastika is an ancient symbol present in numerous and diverse cultures around the world, including the cultures of India, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and North America. It remains widely used in Indian religions, specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, primarily as a sacred symbol of good luck.
The Native Americans, most notably the Navajo, used the swastka. Among various tribes, the swastika carried different meanings. To the Hopi it represented the wandering Hopi clan; to the Navajo it was one symbol for a whirling log (tsil no'oli), a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals. It has also been found in:

•The ancient city of Troy, in the northwest of present-day Turkey
•The Iron Age Koban culture of the Caucasus in Asia minor
•On prehistoric Vinca artefacts from South-Eastern Europe
•Amongst the ancient Hittites who lived in the area of present day Syria
•In Ein Gedi, near Israel's Dead Sea
•In the Tang Dynasty of China
•In the 13th Century Amiens Cathedral in France
•In ancient Greek architectural designs
•On Native American Indian artefacts including those of the Navajo and Hopi
•On pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon and Druidic artefacts
Swastika shapes have been found on numerous artifacts from Iron Age Europe

Next time you see a Swastika, remember, it started out as an ancient symbol with good meanings.

220px-Native_American_basketball_team_crop.jpg

Native American Baseball Team 1909

swastika-buddha.jpg

Buddha

tumblr_lbrciyrbfh1qbiigxo1_500.jpg

This man represents the Red Swastika Society 世界紅卍字會, a voluntary association founded in China in 1922, who’s mission was broadly based in philanthropy and moral education.

Etruscan_pendant_with_swastika_symbols_Bolsena_Italy_700_BCE_to_650_BCE_m.jpg

Etruscan pendant with swastika symbols Bolsena Italy 700 BCE to 650 BCE

large-swastika-lady.jpg

Artemis as goddess of the Mysteries presides over the 3 worlds: fish, animals and birds.(Greece, circa 700 B.C.).

Sadly it's been associated with negativity as well, which seems to leave a more lasting impression then positive things. People like to dwell on the bad something represents and completely forget about the good it was once used for. Same goes for people, no matter how much good they try to do they will always be known for the bad. Take Britney Spears, Kim Kardasian (i know i spelled that wrong i really don't care) Lindsay Lohan, they will always be remembered for the bad things over the good or better times in their lives.

Do that in Germany, and you'll get lynched lol. No matter how hard you try on convincing them it is a sacred symbol of ancient cultures.

Sci-Fi said:
Sadly it's been associated with negativity as well, which seems to leave a more lasting impression then positive things. People like to dwell on the bad something represents and completely forget about the good it was once used for. Same goes for people, no matter how much good they try to do they will always be known for the bad. Take Britney Spears, Kim Kardasian (i know i spelled that wrong i really don't care) Lindsay Lohan, they will always be remembered for the bad things over the good or better times in their lives.

Your right, Sci-Fi. It's sad that it has to be that way.

Ak5 said:
Do that in Germany, and you'll get lynched lol. No matter how hard you try on convincing them it is a sacred symbol of ancient cultures.

Your right. I have a friend in Germany and she says they are very touchy about it. I can see why....

Yup.. totally true ;) I believe the old Chinese used it as a symbol which referred to the 4 directions of the wind. A lot of symbols have actually been pulled way out of context like the swastika...

Vagrant Legacy said:
Yup.. totally true ;) I believe the old Chinese used it as a symbol which referred to the 4 directions of the wind. A lot of symbols have actually been pulled way out of context like the swastika...

You sound like someone who is familiar with symbols. Do you like symbols as well? Do you have a favorite?

Naleena said:
Vagrant Legacy said:

You sound like someone who is familiar with symbols. Do you like symbols as well? Do you have a favorite?
I do like symbols, and everything to do with symbology, but I really can't say I have a favourite - most likely because I've never wondered about what symbols I like, and which I don't.
Just looked some up to refresh the amount of symbols I know - I'm particularly fond of circles, and the meaning behind them - my favourite however, is most likely the pentagram, with its unity/balance of the elements. (I'm very fond of anything having to do with balance) I also really like any symbols refering to the divine/unholy, and even more so when in relation to magic. For example, I'm really interested in how summoning circles are constructed, like those of the Egyptians (such as those from the Key of Solomon) Also... a snake devouring its own tail, eternity..there's so much symbols out there, I don't even know where to start :p

Vagrant Legacy said:
I do like symbols, and everything to do with symbology, but I really can't say I have a favourite - most likely because I've never wondered about what symbols I like, and which I don't.
Just looked some up to refresh the amount of symbols I know - I'm particularly fond of circles, and the meaning behind them - my favourite however, is most likely the pentagram, with its unity/balance of the elements. (I'm very fond of anything having to do with balance) I also really like any symbols refering to the divine/unholy, and even more so when in relation to magic. For example, I'm really interested in how summoning circles are constructed, like those of the Egyptians (such as those from the Key of Solomon) Also... a snake devouring its own tail, eternity..there's so much symbols out there, I don't even know where to start :p

You bring up another symbol with a bad rap. The serpent. It's a symbol of wisdom, rebirth, etc (which I'm sure you already know...lol)One of my favorite symbols is the serpent and the Z-rod. Have you ever seen Pictish art? I love the z-rod :) I like circles too and the triple spiral is one of my favorites.
You can find a triple spiral 600 years older than the pyramids of Giza on a chamber wall in New Grange (Ireland)
Did you know that the pentacle was also known as the Druids foot?
It's nice to meet someone else who loves symbology :p I bet you could teach me a few things.

Jilted John said:
Why did the Germans put it the wrong way round?

John, I don't think anyone really knows. There is a lot of speculation though.

Naleena said:
lonelyfairy said:
Ancient civilizations are very interesting!

They are :) I love your new avatar, Lonelyfairy! It's gorgeous :)

Yes, and I think that ancient civilizations had more wisdom, than what people have now...

I think that those symbols have some kind of interesting meanings. :>

Aww, thank you!

Google is a friend, lol.

I think in a lot of peoples minds is only going to mean Nazi. I mean look at Kula Shaker! They tried to do the whole it means other things too and it kind of killed their career. It's dangerous ground really.

The meaning of the symbol, whatever it once meant, has changed.

Such is the nature of symbols and language.

The reason why the nazis adopted the symbol was exactly because of its history and lineage. They were inspired by (amongst others) the Thule Gesellschaft, a very interesting and mysterious society that advocated - amongst many other things - 'germanism' and 'german racial superiorty' based on its connection with the so called "Aryans', an ancient people that supposedly once lived in Thule (roman word for the utmost northern landmass), which was once supposedly located between Iceland and Greenland (according to certain theories). These Aryans held the Swastika as one of their most precious symbols, which in turn made it a historical symbol of german domination (especially in combination with the red, white and black colours in the Nazi flag) and of a so called 'pure' race.

In other words, the Swastika was already a symbol of German nationalism before the Nazis.

It's also interesting to note that, if I remember correctly, the naval Nazi flag had a through and through image, which means that both forms were represented (meaning the upper 'leg' pointed both to left and right) according from which angle you were looking. So you can't really say that the Nazis turned it the 'wrong' way, as they used a few different models in various situations before (mostly) settling on the 'right leg' variation.

Naleena said:
You bring up another symbol with a bad rap. The serpent. It's a symbol of wisdom, rebirth, etc (which I'm sure you already know...lol)One of my favorite symbols is the serpent and the Z-rod. Have you ever seen Pictish art? I love the z-rod :) I like circles too and the triple spiral is one of my favorites.
You can find a triple spiral 600 years older than the pyramids of Giza on a chamber wall in New Grange (Ireland)
Did you know that the pentacle was also known as the Druids foot?
It's nice to meet someone else who loves symbology :p I bet you could teach me a few things.

Not sure if I could "teach" you anything, but yeah, I do have some knowledge on symbols in general, but I just know very little about a lot of symbols :p I hardly have any in-depth knowledge of any of them, or their backgrounds.

Latest posts

Back