Do You Find Older "Horror" Movies More Scary Then Today's?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I've found that "Horror" movies from the 80's to be much spookier than today's. Today's are too much gore not enough story in my opinion.

I have not seen many old ones as I was not really into horrors tell not long ago.

The one old one I can remember watching was "The exorcist" I did not find that scary and laughed most of the way thru it.

The main ones that I thought where scary where "The Blair witch project" & "Paranormal activity"

The Blair witch project was the scariest for me.

In all fairness to modern Horror flicks, "The Exorcism Of Emily Rose" captivated me with it's true spookiness. Nobody is a bigger fan of Horror movies than my mother. She saw it, and even she refuses to ever watch it again.

That has to be one of the nicest ways Ive ever seen anyone on here say I don't agree with you :p
What can I say you come across like a supper nice guy :Y

Ya, I can't say as any movies are actually scary. They are more weird, funny, and just gross. If anything some are scary only in the sense that someones mind came up with some of the stuff in it.

What I mean is fiction is not real, so why be scared of what is not real?

There are some scary non fiction things though. Most horrifying book I ever read was "Your Stolen Future".

Now when I was a kid I was scared of some silly things. Like evil Skellies or shadow monsters that might be under the bed and grab me... lol. So funny.

i've never seen a scary movie i thought was scary. it makes me sad

Skorian said:
Ya, I can't say as any movies are actually scary. They are more weird, funny, and just gross. If anything some are scary only in the sense that someones mind came up with some of the stuff in it.

There are some scary non fiction things though. Most horrifying book I ever read was "Your Stolen Future".

Now when I was a kid I was scared of some silly things. Like evil Skellies or shadow monsters that might be under the bed and grab me... lol. So funny.
Hi Skorian.:)
I'm no political expert, but I like Bill Maher. He really seems like he knows his politics. I admire him for that.

LoneKiller said:
Skorian said:

I'm no political expert, but I like Bill Maher. He really seems like he knows his politics. I admire him for that.
Ya, he manages to make keeping up on current issues fun. I don't generally like comedy, but he manages to use it to make points. He is definitely hated by many people.

Skorian said:
LoneKiller said:
Skorian said:

Ya, he manages to make keeping up on current issues fun. I don't generally like comedy, but he manages to use it to make points. He is definitely hated by many people.
That's just because he says what everyone else is thinking.

I don't know for sure, the ones I've rewatched were pretty boring, they were scary back then because I was a kid. There are still some that aged really well like Aliens, but I really haven't rewatched those, but I would think they still have pretty great tension and atmosphere, the thing is it's hard to tell because you've aged, and you've already seen some of them and know what happens.

I don't watch nearly as much horror films now though, but the super natural/ghost films recently aren't scary at all, but they're good at entertaining the viewers.

Whats ye favorite movie? lol
scream-scary-movie-mask.jpg

I think some new horror movies are more scarier than the older ones mostly because of the CG capabilities and such. I haven't really watched many old horror movies though, so I can't judge too well. I do think most modern horror movies can be pretty lame.

Though I say lame, I'm a scaredy-cat and my imagination acts up anyway. (hehe) I love watching horror for the feeling, but I'm not sure if I should in my dorm...all alone and so many noises at night.

Don't really watch many "horror" movies, but yeah the older ones are much more scary. Now these so called "horror" movies go for gore and blood more then the BOO! AHH!

Today's horror movies are without a doubt a huge disappointment. Nothing can scare me more than The Exorcist did. Even the ones I didn't find that scary, like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (for some reason it made me laugh) are entertaining to watch anyhow.

Today's horrors are a joke: the acting is ridiculously bad, the plots are getting so boring and everything's being done over and over again. I do like The Saw movies, because they are full of action and suspense, but they don't scare me. They are the exception. The rest bores me to tears, I just don't bother trying this genre anymore.

I must not rate horror movies by how scarey they are. As a couple people have already mentioned horror movies generally aren't scarey. Aside from some substandard films, there is too much in the viewers viewing environment that the film maker can't control. It is much easier to go for a cheap startle effect than a real scare. Just quiet things down and then throw in a sudden loud noise/image. It is usually just the cat anyway.

The 80s horror films i have come to associate with teen slasher films. There was so many of them that came out in the 80s and they all seemed to be basically the same movie. Change the reason why the person was insane and change the tool that the villain cuts up people with, then film the same movie again.

My favorite horror films have nothing to do with how scarey they are. None of my babbling answers the original question anyway.

For me, the scariest movies are the German expressionist films and their spiritual descendants, the Hollywood horror classics from the thirties. That and films with Vincent Price ;)

I should also mention that there's some pretty scary/exciting Asian films out there!

Latest posts

Back