Dealing with anticipatory anxiety before social events...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
How do you deal with the build up of anxiety before a social event that you are obligated to attend? Ex: a family gathering, holiday event, or work/school/church party?

Meditation,
exercise,
meds?......

roguewave said:
How do you deal with the build up of anxiety before a social event that you are obligated to attend? Ex: a family gathering, holiday event, or work/school/church party?

Meditation,
exercise,
meds?......

Hi Rogue,
My first response to this dilemma would be KLONOPIN!
But if you do not have this readily at hand... then what I used to do (before klonopin)to hype up for a gathering is:

Do my nails, do my hair, put on my bestie outfit, and put on my confidence armor.

When you look good, you feel good,(confidence) and when you have confidence other people will automatically desire to surround themselves around you, there for leaving no room to loneliness.

You have to be the one who runs the show.

I always have a problem with this because I am always early to get places. So I not only end up nervous about what will happen but then I get there 30 minutes early and spend the time walking around in circles going bonkers waiting.
But if I get there late it's even worse.

Nolife Princess said:
roguewave said:

Meditation,
exercise,
meds?......

Hi Rogue,
But if you do not have this readily at hand... then what I used to do (before klonopin)to hype up for a gathering is:

Do my nails, do my hair, put on my bestie outfit, and put on my confidence armor.

When you look good, you feel good,(confidence) and when you have confidence other people will automatically desire to surround themselves around you, there for leaving no room to loneliness.

I tried Klonopin but it was like a rollarcoaster to me and made my anxiety worse. Then I tried xanax which is smoooooooth.
I would take it more often but I'm afraid of turning into an addict and whatnot. Technically I am supposed to take it a couple times a day but I always end up getting stuck in that xanax cloud. You know what I mean?

roguewave said:
Nolife Princess said:
roguewave said:

Meditation,
exercise,
meds?......

Hi Rogue,

I tried Klonopin but it was like a rollarcoaster to me and made my anxiety worse. Then I tried xanax which is smoooooooth.
I would take it more often but I'm afraid of turning into an addict and whatnot. Technically I am supposed to take it a couple times a day but I always end up getting stuck in that xanax cloud. You know what I mean?

Xanax is short life, klonopin is long life.. for me the xanax was like drinking water... the klonopin just works for me... I don't use it daily, as I am pretty much in control (for most part) but if I feel a tantrum coming on, I know it is time to take it.

There are other meds you can use (as needed) for our disorder. and do not believe that stupid cognitive therapy bullshit! it aint working.
and for me, it is really hard... like how many therapist do you know that sign? so I usually wind up just writing everything down, which is a pain. forget it, if you get the right meds. you can make it. I am not hooked.. but it is nice to know I have it when I need it.

roguewave said:

Meditation,
exercise,
meds?......

Meditation and exercise are wonderful things. I employ those.

I used to find meditation can help, slowing your breathing down and telling yourself that nothing bad will happen that the world can be beautiful, kind and that you will be fine outside.
Although lately its been harder to convince myself of these things i still find it helps a little to meditate before i have to go out and do something stressful like birthdays, party's but then saying that i hardly go out side now anyway.

only thing i would say is that its sad so many people feel they have to use medication in order to survive in situations day to day. i find that part of our society slightly disturbing.

with that said i would highly suggest the other choices, meditation and exercise. another thing i would suggest is practice. give yourself situations to put yourself in and work on them more and more, the hope is you get more and more comfortable.

Latest posts

Back