Am i the only person who immensely hates her own father?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate takes too much effort and energy. Indifferent might be a better word.

Would you like to share more with us?

Nope, you're not. I barely knew my father and he died when I was 14 so I'll never have the chance to. Even though he was a drunk, heavy smoker, and womanizer, three things I don't go for. I can't help but feel if he was more of a father my life would be different. Then again maybe not and I'd have grown to hate him all the more. As it is for now and will always be I just hate him for not being much of a father.

I don't hate anyone....
However, I dislike my father a great deal, along with a few other members of my family.

Callie said:
I don't hate anyone....
However, I dislike my father a great deal, along with a few other members of my family.

I've avoided mine for the last decade- its just better that way.

I dislike mine, he's not even worth my hatred. I didn't speak to him for almost 10 years, I miss those years.

I've been fortunate with my parents. They love me. Although I don't always agree with their tactics or every parenting decision they made, and there are some things from the past which I am having a difficult time forgiving, they were not bad parents and their hearts were in the right place.

I know people who've had truly abusive relationships and are much better off without their parents in their lives, as harsh as that sounds. :(

Do what you feel you need to do for your own sake, but I can tell you that hate is more than just wasted energy, it is destructive. Time spent hating is hurtful to your soul. *hugs*

My mother left my father way before comprehension dawned in my mind. Many stepfathers later and I can say that I detest the current one. I thought I was going to get lucky the day he walked in with a broken head all bleeding and what not.

Sadly no.

Sci-Fi said:
Nope, you're not. I barely knew my father and he died when I was 14 so I'll never have the chance to. Even though he was a drunk, heavy smoker, and womanizer, three things I don't go for. I can't help but feel if he was more of a father my life would be different. Then again maybe not and I'd have grown to hate him all the more. As it is for now and will always be I just hate him for not being much of a father.

I understand, and oddly it's a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only one. My father provides for us and all but it really isn't enough. His negative traits outweighs the positives. It sucks, he treats us like crap and shouts at us all the time and reminding us that like we're worthless and dumb and he thinks he's always right.

If your parents are still together then I think a lot of it has to do with being ungrateful, having low self esteem, and just playing the victim. Some people like the attention and pity that comes from blowing up the smallest things into big problems.

If your parents are not together then you have to remember, It's hard being a single father with the way custody and divorce laws are today.

Then there are some legitimately terrible men that have no business being fathers.

If you hate your father...

I do believe the word hate is too strong, but I do find my father a rather dumb man which frustrates me to no end. Then again my immediate family is just one fry short of a happy meal.

imlikeasilhouette said:
Sci-Fi said:

I understand, and oddly it's a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only one. My father provides for us and all but it really isn't enough. His negative traits outweighs the positives. It sucks, he treats us like crap and shouts at us all the time and reminding us that like we're worthless and dumb and he thinks he's always right.

Er... East Asian parenting style? Tiger dad?

Latest posts

Back