Hosting a party today....feeling anxious

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyYogi

Reaction score
Hi All...this is more a vent...and a cry for help.

Actually it isn't that bad at all...just feeling a bit anxious.

I am hosting a party today. It's a good party...an amazing block party my neighborhood has and I am hosting a party within a party.

I always go thru all kinds of emotions with this. I love to be light hearted, loving a fun (my highest self) but when I put myself out there with a party I can't help but feel some disappointment.

I don't have many friends at all but I do love to be social and create fun. These parties are a good way for me to invite others I'd like to get to know better.

I did that this time and as always, some don't even write back at all and at least a few don't come. I know to not take this person (most of the time it's not) but it still stings.

It still stings like "do I not matter so much that I don't even deserve a reply?" That kind of thing.

There are people in my social group who have never responded favorably to any of my fun parties...I just don't invite them anymore. I am not angry at them but I just don't make an effort. I often wonder why can't they come? Why do they have to be so indifferent?

This time I invited members of a meetup I am part of and more of them are coming than my own friends!!! I think it will be OK because I checked their interests and they all seem like interesting people like we have things in common. I wrote down their common interests...and plant to ask them about it and as I say "hi" to each one.

Are my feelings normal?

It's always inevitably disappointing when people you consider your friends refuse to come to a party, or don't even have the courtesy to reply. Just try not to take it too personally - I'm sure there are a lot of people who would really appreciate the opportunity to be invited to your party, so including members from that meetup group is definitely a good start. Maybe you'll meet some more faithful party attenders out of that group.

Can I come too? :p

Yes, you can. Thanks for being so sweet.

Well, those who did come had a good time. I was anxious for the first couple of hours and then relaxed a bit. I realized it's all part of the deal until I grow and become a bit different.

Yes, I do get hurt when others dont' feel it's important to come but am handling it better.

Thanks!

I'm glad you had a nice time!

I guess all you can do is keep focusing on the people who do want to come and it will get easier. :)

I'm glad that your party went well. It takes a lot of courage to hold a party when you are not very confident and I admire you for doing it. Maybe you will make some new and closer friends from those who do come along to your parties.
I think that nowadays, regrettably, many people do not have very good manners. Those who didn't bother to reply to your invitation probably didn't think that they were being rude, as it seems more and more the 'done thing' not to be courteous. I can understand why you felt hurt by them.

Latest posts

Back