I have posts I need to edit and it's been way longer than 1440minutes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maidahl

Reaction score
A Lonely Life Forums
Sorry but you cannot edit your post. The Administrator has set it so that posts can only be edited within 1440 minutes of posting.

How do I edit my posts? Every post except this one is like wayyy last last last month or so.

You can't just like as the message states. Think of it as real life, once you say it, it's out there. Except here you have 24 hours of posting to edit it.

copyright law may disagree

despite any particular terms of service that a website posts at the time of account creation

assuming you have a logged terms of service exactly as it was the day he joined

the law doesn't bend to terms of service, it trumps them

he likely owns his writings

*not starting honeysuckle, just interested in this, i've read somewhat extensively on copyright law, and have been a forum admin on at least two dozen websites i've created*

Trent said:
copyright law may disagree

despite any particular terms of service that a website posts at the time of account creation

assuming you have a logged terms of service exactly as it was the day he joined

the law doesn't bend to terms of service, it trumps them

he likely owns his writings

*not starting honeysuckle, just interested in this, i've read somewhat extensively on copyright law, and have been a forum admin on at least two dozen websites i've created*

Yet you feel the need to post that which has NOTHING to do with what I said. It is the way the forum is set up. Your comment would only be relevant if I said that what people posted on the site becomes the property of the owner of the site. Then that would have validity to your comment. I never said that or even eluded to it. That was not the topic of discussion, it was someone asking how they could edit a post.

Maybe you should start worrying more about the content of things you are posting instead of making such remarks.

denying someone access to edit or remove (own) their content is indeed within the purview of copyright law, as you are essentially taking control (ownership) of their content

you honestly seem to be taking my comment personally, sci-fi

it's not a personal attack, my friend

just a point of conversation out of an interest of mine

i am simply adding knowledge that over a decade of web development and forum administration has taught me. i have had long and detailed discussions on this topic.

if i am not welcome to politely speak my mind, just say so...

Maidahl, there has been a couple times I wished I could edit some older posts because of how I've grown over time, but I think its for the best that there is a limitation such as this. I can't think of a good example at the moment, but I know there are ways it could be abused if you could indefinitely edit your posts.

The legality is an interesting question. A dozen forums you created? You really get around Trent, I don't even understand how to set up my own website. Does the user maintain rights to their posts? I think if I posted a theory on a thread here, and someone stole that theory, I could then say they stole it from my post. Of course, if you can indefinitely edit your posts, then I would have no such credibility. Heh, I guess I thought of a good example after all.

Could very well happen... at the rate I'm going I wouldn't be surprised if I came here and posted the formula by which Alchemists turned lead into gold. Then people would steal it and get rich...

It's been such a long time since I saw the TOS. If it requires you to agree that your posts cannot be edited after 1440 minutes, then thats it. You agreed. If you publish a novel there are book rights and movie rights. It counts as your novel, but at the same time it also legally belongs to the publisher, and they can do a print run or make it out of print. If you sell your rights, then thats it. You agreed.

I'm no expert at legality / contracts, so I really don't know...

Phaedron said:
Maidahl, there has been a couple times I wished I could edit some older posts because of how I've grown over time, but I think its for the best that there is a limitation such as this. I can't think of a good example at the moment, but I know there are ways it could be abused if you could indefinitely edit your posts.

The legality is an interesting question. A dozen forums you created? You really get around Trent, I don't even understand how to set up my own website. Does the user maintain rights to their posts? I think if I posted a theory on a thread here, and someone stole that theory, I could then say they stole it from my post. Of course, if you can indefinitely edit your posts, then I would have no such credibility. Heh, I guess I thought of a good example after all.

Could very well happen... at the rate I'm going I wouldn't be surprised if I came here and posted the formula by which Alchemists turned lead into gold. Then people would steal it and get rich...

It's been such a long time since I saw the TOS. If it requires you to agree that your posts cannot be edited after 1440 minutes, then thats it. You agreed. If you publish a novel there are book rights and movie rights. It counts as your novel, but at the same time it also legally belongs to the publisher, and they can do a print run or make it out of print. If you sell your rights, then thats it. You agreed.

I'm no expert at legality / contracts, so I really don't know...

at the time of a work's creation, there is an implied copyright for its author. this implicitly gives the author complete ownership of that work and control over its use. this also applies to forum posts.

in the past, i have crafted "terms of use" and "privacy policies" for many of my websites. for one website, i've had a lawyer review the policies to give an unofficial opinion.

here is the thing - ownership of a work can be waived due to consenting to a specific "terms of use" (or similar agreement) at the time of registration. but there are nuances to this as well. as you know, with the law nothing is ever cut and dry.

to maintain the integrity of a forum, it would indeed be impossible to allow users unlimited freedom (ownership) to edit or delete their posts. as the continuity of a thread is dependent upon being to read it as a "conversation", if one could go back and edit/remove posts indefinitely this would cause the wreckage and ruin of threads such that they would be unreadable and useless.

nonetheless, if a proper "terms of use" is not in place at the time of a user's registration, the author does indeed still maintain COMPLETE OWNERSHIP of his or her works and therefore has the legal right to ask that they can be edited or removed at any time.

i've read the terms at the registration here at ALL and they are a chopped down version of default ones offered by MyBB (sort of as a guide) and i would never keep such flimsy terms in place on one of my websites, however, most forum owners/admins never take the time to set up a complete (and responsible) set of terms for their members.

then there is also the question of time/date stamping and maintaining a precise log of when the plaintext of those terms has changed - this is where things can get hairy. as said before, nothing with the law is cut and dry. there have been lawsuits, there have been court cases, there have been decisions and settlements for this very topic.

now, as stated before, this is not some sort of attack on the staff here, LOL, this is just "conversation" from my point-of-view on a topic that i actually know a little about from personal experience.

either way, if one wishes to deny an author ownership to his works then one is well-advised to have it clearly stated and recorded in the terms of use.

another thing, don't even get me started on the potential legal implications of allowing 13 year olds to register on a website such as this that allows downright x-rated conversation. i would not want to be on the receiving end of a legal action that stems from that. on EVERY SINGLE website i've operated, there has been an "18 or of legal age of majority in your municipality" clause at the time of registration. no way i want to be accused of corrupting the youth! LOL

Whilst we attempt to edit or remove any messages containing inappropriate, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, slanderous, or threatening material that could be considered invasive of a persons privacy, or which otherwise violate any kind of law, it is impossible for us to review every message posted on this discussion system. For this reason you acknowledge that all messages posted on this discussion system express the views and opinions of the original message author and not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Therefore we take no responsibility and cannot be held liable for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy and completeness of every message.

By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, sexually orientated, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy, or any other material which may violate any applicable laws.

Failure to comply with these rules may result in the termination of your account, account suspension, or permanent ban of access to these forums. Your IP Address is recorded with each post you make on this discussion system and is retrievable by the forum staff if need-be. You agree that we have the ability and right to remove, edit, or lock any account or message at any time should it be seen fit. You also agree that any information you enter on this discussion system is stored in a database, and that "cookies" are stored on your computer to save your login information.

Any information you provide on these forums will not be disclosed to any third party without your complete consent, although the staff cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised.

By continuing with the sign up process you agree to the above rules and any others that the Administrator specifies.

^these^ are the "Terms of Use" on alonelylife.com as of today, these have been in place for some time, nowhere do they state that the registrant waives his or her ownership of works. this is troubling and opens them up to legal action that is likely not to work in their favor IF someone wanted to pursue it. it could also be fixed in fives minutes by editing that template.

This is a freaking forum, not a publishing site. They are posts not works or literature. Drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back