report about suicide in the UK

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21141815

A few interesting points in this.

'Samaritans trustee Stephen Platt said: "The most important issue raised by these figures is the urgent need to tackle the many difficulties faced by men in their middle years."

He said disadvantaged men in mid-life were facing a "perfect storm" of challenges, including unemployment and social inclusion.'

I'm glad I work or I would probably fit into this group. There are alot of disadvantaged men about yet we hardly get a mention.

Yes. I constantly say how the most at risk population for suicide is not in fact teenagers but middle aged men. No one listens over the society's overwhelming perception that teenagers are at the most risk.

It's annoying. Look at the numbers people.

This doesn't surprise me whatsoever, this country has been getting worse over the last 10 years, and now it's getting really bad, it's so badly managed; I'm not saying I could do a better job, but then all those bastards who was born into wealth with posh educations aren't doing any better.

People who are unemployed have it so hard, there's hardly any jobs for anyone, and because of this there's that many applicants that apply for what jobs there is that the chances of you getting it are slim; not only that, you're put under so much pressure to find a job. They expect you to apply for anything knowing that some people would be better off on job seekers allowance! I've worked all my life (around 13/14 years), I lost my job and the system I've payed into since I finished school only allows me to claim job seekers allowance for 12 months! Imean I should have a job within a year but what the hell? This is pathetic.

And when you do have a job it's not any easier (I'm talking average wage here), especially with kids, the usual story of government cuts here, there and everywhere render you paying more and more out. You read the papers and it's cuts in police, NHS, social care,education, disabled, pensions, voluntary sector blah blah blah, what are all these cuts for? A debt, a debt that wasn't our fault and that never seems to be reducing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one that refuses to participate in trying to save the country or whatever, but c'mon, there's better ways to manage this than tax, cuts, tax, cuts TAX, CUTS!!!

Then to take the p**s completely, they're on the TV moaning about how certain companies are only paying the minimum amount of tax, it just enrages me. I say go on those companies, GOOD ON THEM! They should be greatful that they've not moved abroad to avoid this! Even if they handed over all their profits to the government as a tax payment, we wouldn't see any benefit what so ever, and neither would the companies; so where's the motivation in that?

Whoops, sorry for raging on a bit there 8-|

It seems to me, that any country that has a Monarchy, would be a depressing place to live. Because of the huge difference in how the "Elite" live as opposed to the "commoners" :(

I'm glad I have a job. A life without a job and living alone would be tough. I can imagine how horrible that would be. I wouldn't have the money to do the things I enjoy, play golf, sky tv, internet, going to football etc.

It took me a long time to get a job (I was 29), I have been there over 15 years. I think that's why I don't feel down that much. I count my blessings, I have a job, money, a roof over my head, interests. Okay so I don't have a woman in my life but is that a bad thing ?

Getting back to the article, I suppose a disadvantaged man is someone who is unattractive, no friends, poor social skills, no job. no girlfriend, no money.

Society seems to ahve a mentality of 'molly coddling' one roup of people in it, as opposed to carin for the broad spectrum of humanity. ALL people need to be cared for and shown they are loved. NO matter what country you are in. I am in the UK too and Im 'iffy' over the monarchy. Im realising that at 31, wether intentionally or not, it does create a class system and division amongst people.

Sadly I think it may be intentional. Us humans whether we know it or not have a weakness for feeling s'uperior' over others and at their expense. Even me, when I was a fifth year prefect at school 'lording' it over the 1st-4th years in the corridors. Not proud of it now but it does happen :/ This of course, is jsut my own observation and opinion through personal experience.

I could have "a lot going for me" if I wanted to, but I don't find much sincerity in love, life, or people anymore. So I just survive for my obligations.

Middle-aged, single white males are the most loathed group in society at the moment. All sorts of negative associations are there (inadequate, creep, potentially dangerous, potential paedophile etc.) Take away a job and what remains of someone's self respect goes with it.

Typically white middle-aged men have fewer close relationships like the kind women form and no cultural identity to cling to, therefore less of an emotional net to fall back on when life gets tough.

I heard about this recently. You guys have pretty summed up the problems. I think I am in danger of falling into this category in the future. I think my Brother is in this category. The only thing he has to keep him on the straight and narrow is his Girlfriend.

duff said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21141815

A few interesting points in this.

'Samaritans trustee Stephen Platt said: "The most important issue raised by these figures is the urgent need to tackle the many difficulties faced by men in their middle years."

He said disadvantaged men in mid-life were facing a "perfect storm" of challenges, including unemployment and social inclusion.'

I'm glad I work or I would probably fit into this group. There are alot of disadvantaged men about yet we hardly get a mention.

I fit into this group. Once you get into isolation and unemployment it is near impossible to get out of in this country. Mind you I am 34 - is that mid life yet?

The reason they don't get a mention is because their problems aren't considered valid or even real thanks to the feminist/progressive paradigms that pervade society at the moment.

Think about it for moment, what is are the first things that come to mind when we see single, unattractive, middle-aged men?

Inadequate. Loser. Social misfit. Possible rapist/pervert.

Is there any equivalent to how women are seen? No, women are beings of goodness facing challenging circumstances.

ardour said:
The reason they don't get a mention is because their problems aren't considered valid or even real thanks to feminist/progressive paradigms that are pervade society at the moment.

Think about it for moment, what is are the first things that come to mind when we see single, unattractive, middle-aged men?

Is there any equivalent to how women are seen? No, women are beings of goodness facing challenging circumstances. Men are honeysuckle.

I thought it was more due to men choosing more lethal means than women because women try to kill themselves much more often than men, but don't succeed due to less lethal methods employed.

Now why men choose more lethal/violent means, is something I wonder about. Is it because they don't want to be seen as weak if they "fail"? Or, is it because women don't want to disfigure themselves with those means?

Is there another reason entirely that I'm overlooking?

As to why that age…

*ponders* It could be due to mid-life crisis? Where they re-evaluate their lives mid-stream, and realize they can't go back and undo it, or go down a different path…so they lose hope and choose suicide. Could it be increased alcohol use due to this sense of hopelessness stemming from that? I don't think the article said anything about appearance being a factor in their heightened suicide rate.

SophiaGrace said:
I thought it was more due to men choosing more lethal means than women because women try to kill themselves much more often than men, but don't succeed due to less lethal methods employed.

Now why men choose more lethal/violent means, is something I wonder about. Is it because they don't want to be seen as weak if they "fail"? Or, is it because women don't want to disfigure themselves with those means?

Actually if you look the data you referenced earlier you'll find that attempted suicide rates are roughly equal. IMO men are more likely to choose violent/extreme methods because they hate themselves that much more.

ardour said:
SophiaGrace said:

Actually if you look the data you referenced earlier you'll find that attempted suicide rates are roughly equal. IMO men are more likely to choose violent/extreme methods because they hate themselves that much more.

I can't find where it says anything about attempted suicide. Could you find it for me, please?

ardour said:
The reason they don't get a mention is because their problems aren't considered valid or even real thanks to the feminist/progressive paradigms that pervade society at the moment.

Is there any equivalent to how women are seen? No, women are beings of goodness facing challenging circumstances.

I have warned you several times about making remarks like this yet you continue to do it and don't listen. Hopefully you get the message this time during your time off.

ardour said:

I'm fairly up on current events and societal norms (in more than one country) and I'd like to know how widespread these "feminist/progressive paradigms that pervade society" are because if they were as pervasive as your suggesting, I think I'd have noted it by now.
I certainly don't live under a rock.

ardour said:

Are you saying that's what you see when you see someone who fits that criteria? Do you feel that " single, unattractive, middle-aged men" are automatically inadequate, losers, social misfits and possibly rapists/pedophiles?
I don't think most people see this at all. Some do, sure. But they are likely fairly narrow minded. Again, this is just my opinion.

ardour said:

I'm calling bullshit on that one. Do you think those biased and ugly opinions that some people have are limited to one gender? I can honestly say that, as a woman, I've seen AND experienced those types of behaviors from the opposite sex. Men certainly have not cornered the market on being referred to inadequate, etc.

EveWasFramed said:
I'm calling bullshit on that one. Do you think those biased and ugly opinions that some people have are limited to one gender? I can honestly say that, as a woman, I've seen AND experienced those types of behaviors from the opposite sex. Men certainly have not cornered the market on being referred to inadequate, etc.

He's apparently blind to the talk of unattractive women being used for practice in place of the women men actually want, among many, many other cruelties such as overweight women being "easy" due to their assumed desperation, men being insulted at the attention of overweight women, single mothers, divorcees, etc.

These men see what they want.

Tealeaf said:
EveWasFramed said:

He's apparently blind to the talk of unattractive women being used for practice in place of the women men actually want, among many, many other cruelties such as overweight women being "easy" due to their assumed desperation, men being insulted at the attention of overweight women, single mothers, divorcees, etc.

These men see what they want.

I can't say that he's blind to it or not.
However, I will say that your examples are spot on for the feminine version of the bias towards males that he was referring to. Wonderfully put.

EveWasFramed said:
Are you saying that's what you see when you see someone who fits that criteria?

That is what i was wondering.

EveWasFramed said:
I'd like to know how widespread these "feminist/progressive paradigms that pervade society" are because if they were as pervasive as your suggesting, I think I'd have noted it by now.
I certainly don't live under a rock.

There is a lot of evidence of an overarching militant feminist agenda, which seeks to belittle, patronize and completely ignore the needs of men, and it seems to be fulling what I think is a surge in ideas of masculinity. A man should be self sufficient, strong, sturdy, independent, invulnerable, responsible and always accountable for his own actions and his misdeeds are never anything other than deliberate ill-intentioned deviancy.

We have the highest prisoner numbers in Europe, and increasing. 80% of prisoners were subject to some form of abuse as children, most all are from poor/underprivileged backgrounds most have some form of mental health issue.

Men get sent to prison substantially more often than do women. The feminist view is that these are mere beasts and criminals. Lock them up at cost of £40,000 a year (ponder this, how much would a program of counselling and social support cost? Less than half of that I shouldn’t wonder). But no there is this hatred of men by women, and a willingness of men to go along with this view for fear of being seen as 'weak' or misogynistic means that we punish, penalise, condemn men and their misdeeds, a label of criminal is a licence to hate and devise ever crueller punishments.

A person who believes prison is an option for non-voilent offenders, has themselves, at their core, even more despicable cruelty than does the person they feel allowed to hate. A decent human would ask “what went wrong with this person, can we fix it?” Better to take on a damaged individual, fix him and chuck out someone someone can be of value to society at the end of it.

Matters are worse in the USA, where laws are designed to criminalize coloured people, many such laws, such as drug laws are then being imported over here.

Those who hold these same militant feminists views, went beyond equality and human rights for women and children, to repeatedly diminishing equality and rights for men. If I, as a man do something wrong, the answer is hate, lock up and punish, demonize and dehumanize. If a women or child does such a thing, they need help and support, there were “going through a bad patch”. There are charities for kids, there are charities for women and there are charities for old people. There are few (I could not even name one) for men.

So we suffer in silence, do the wrong thing sometimes and increasingly, kill ourselves.

None of these feminists are speaking up for the rapidly increasing prisoner suicides. They are men, criminals, who cares about their emotions, let them die.

Latest posts

Back