Feel different from most people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WallflowerGirl83

Lately I feel like I can't relate to people anymore. I try to communicate with people but I find it very hard sometimes. Believe I'm having problems trying to talk to people cause I'm so fearful of what they might think of me. Certain people bring up certain topics, and I don't know what to say cause I don't want to look stupid. Most of the time I'm very quiet and I listen most of the time. The only time I really talk is when I'm talking one on one with someone. In a crowd I get very nervous and stand off to the side. Try really hard to try to connect to certain people but I don't think I can ever relate to others around me anymore. Sometimes I feel like just hiding into my shell and not coming out again.

This year especially has been hard on me and everything has been stressing me out. At the moment socializing has made me really depressed lately. I really want to talk to people, but than I shut myself off cause of my depression. It's a never ending battle. How can I try to make friends with anyone, when I feel so different from everyone. That and I don't feel as if people would like me.... and I hate feeling like that. I hate beating myself up... but I constantly feel like it's my fault why people won't be my friend... cause I'm different from most people. :(

What do you talk about with people? Do you just stick to small talk or move on to more interesting topics?

People say silly things all the time... one person isn't going to stand out to anyone who isn't preoccupied with looking down their nose at others.

I have trouble connecting with people, too, but I can talk to them without difficulty if I put on a mask. It's fake and stressful, though, and I have to wonder what the point is and if it's totally transparent.

I'm open to talk to anyone about anything to be honest. I try really hard to try to relate to someone. :(
This is also almost like a cry for help for me. This place used to help me and posting made me happy. Than I started falling into a deep depression and now I find it hard to try to talk to people.... I'm sad cause I want friends but I feel as people just don't like me and I wonder why that could be. Cause I'm very caring and open to helping others. It depresses me a lot.

Hey WF, we exchanged a few PM's and I don't recall you being hard to talk to.

I may be wrong, but I did get the impression you held yourself back though, like you didn't want to say too much.

Maybe because you thought I didn't want to talk to you (incorrect), maybe you feared opening yourself up, maybe because I'm dull and boring (surely not!!!!)

I can understand you may find it hard to talk to people, what I have found is that if you want that, you need to be prepared to risk a little, open yourself up and say what's in your heart.

I'd love to hear from you again if you want someone to talk to.

Thank you.

I do hold myself back sometimes, I guess I think I bore people most of the time. I do suffer from low self esteem however and in the past I've been betrayed many times in my life. It is hard trying to allow people back in, but I'm willing on giving people a chance and opening myself up.

Thanks for the reply to this thread, it means a lot to me. :)

I relate to much of what was said here. I feel different from people too.
I feel like I think differently than most people and don't fit into any group or category.

Being too sensitive can work against you.. sometimes you have to just bear with and accept people with their flaws, and then you can hope/trust to be accepted with yours too. Try to accept that nobody is perfectly secure, and everyone needs reassurance in some form or degree, then you can feel comfortable with socializing.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
I'm open to talk to anyone about anything to be honest. I try really hard to try to relate to someone. :(
This is also almost like a cry for help for me. This place used to help me and posting made me happy. Than I started falling into a deep depression and now I find it hard to try to talk to people.... I'm sad cause I want friends but I feel as people just don't like me and I wonder why that could be. Cause I'm very caring and open to helping others. It depresses me a lot.

Hmm. Well, I understand finding it hard to talk to people when you're depressed. A lot of people report it sapping their will or ability to do anything at all, so it's not something you need to be hard on yourself about.

At the same time depression is a cunning liar, especially if it's paired with anxiety or low self-esteem. It can tell you all kinds of things that aren't true and blow what is true out of proportion.

Latest posts

Back