I care too much about what people think of me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You assume no one understands, or even that no one cares. I suppose I shouldn't be the one to comment in this particular thread, seeing to how you believe I dislike you. You're free to feel and believe in whatever you'd like, however, I can only say that when you assume certain things (such as no one understands or that people dislike you), you really push people away. And in that case, then I guess it does feel like no one cares or understands.

All I'm really saying is, you can't push people away, and then want people to know where you're coming from. It takes giving before you can get from anything. You can ignore my post if it upsets you or pisses you off. I just wanted to put my thoughts in for a second.

I read your entire post. It dawned on me that you are so thin-skinned that you lash out (forcefully) when your feelings get hurt - even over the slightest thing. You get overly defensive and people pick up on that and react accordingly.
I feel the defensiveness if a safety mechanism for you. However, I feel it's one that is completely counterproductive and only leads to people feeling attacked over something that really shouldn't be that big of a deal. I have a feeling that this has become a pattern for you. Some sort of vicious cycle that you can't break out of. I feel that you have some issues with self-expression - you don't seem to be able to articulate your thoughts very well at times and perhaps it causes people to interpret things you say in a different way from what you meant.
However, you CANT blame people for interpreting what you say in a logical manner - it's not their fault that the way you explain your views isn't what some would say is "typical." I think once you come to see this, you won't take things so harshly.
This is NOT meant as a criticism. It's only an attempt to get you to consider that there are other possible reasons that you have a difficult time dealing with people at times.

Thank you, Eve.

My therapist has said the same thing. I think I either need to spend some time away from this forum, or spend less time in certain sections, to try to break free of this.

I'll try to re-read what I write before I post from now on.

I don't think it has anything to do with time spent on the forum, especially when you say that you're also like this offline as well. It's just how you react in general.

Not all the time. I don't generally get in people's faces offline.

I don't know why I constantly have this reaction online. It's like my brain goes bye bye. I really, really need to think before I post.

I don't blame Eve for getting defensive. I tried to debate, when she was just commenting. She has a right to her opinions, as do I. I don't need to challenge everything.

As far as all of what I had written (and deleted), I think that led to my insecurity, but it's time to put a bandaid on it.

I don't think anyone is here to attack you, Muse. *hugs*
Just the usual differences in opinions, or like what Eve said, the way each of us bring across our points may not be well received by others. It's happened with me too.

Take it easy. :)

Mike510 said:
I always care to much about what people think about me. It gives me social anxiety problems to where I have a hard time meeting people.

Do you care what YOU think about you?

Latest posts

Back