What is a loser?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForeverVirile

Reaction score
Apologies if a similar thread has been posted. I didn't do my fair share of searching outside of going through a couple of pages on this subforum.

So, what is a loser? Do you abide to a general definition or do you have your own perspective? Do you think the idea of 'being a loser' is silly or do you prefer a different word?

Do you feel like your definition of the word? Why, if so?

I've felt like a loser before (see this). I feel like one now. My family thinks I'm going to college and that I have been since 2009 when, in all reality, I haven't been inside of a college classroom since December 10, 2009. Since then, I've been a bit of a recluse, hanging out with my closest friends once or twice a month maybe, and outside of that I do hardly anything. I've developed some social anxiety from it all due to the fact that I don't get out as often as I should. And I should. By myself. For the exposure part of it. Anyhow, I'm rambling.

I feel like a loser because of my boneheaded actions that I wish I could go back in time to account for. I feel like one for being cheated on/lied to a couple of years ago. The list goes on.

I can't tell you the point of this thread. I just wanted to hear the perspectives of others on the word 'loser' and why you might have the negative, unmeritable feelings of erroneously identifying yourself as one? Negative mindsets, etc.?

ForeverVirile said:
I feel like a loser because of my boneheaded actions that I wish I could go back in time to account for. I feel like one for being cheated on/lied to a couple of years ago.

Why should YOU feel like a loser over that?? SHE should feel like a total fuckup, not you.

Also, my opinion as that "loser" isn't so easily quantified and is HIGHLY subjective. Like beauty, "loser" is in the eye of the beholder.

I am a loser... if you look up loser in the dictionary, you will see a giant picture of my face. Biggest loser in the USA.

Danielle said:
I am a loser... if you look up loser in the dictionary, you will see a giant picture of my face. Biggest loser in the USA.

o_O You can't be a loser with ears like those!!!

I'm a loser, because apparently I can't let things go.

It would be simpler if I just faced that I'm a loser, and get on with it. That's probably what I'm going to do.

I'm the king of loneliness as it said in my avatar so I don't know if that constitute to being a loser.

In the strictest sense, a loser is someone who doesn't win.

When I was in 6th grade, my teacher told the other students that I was a loser.

At the time, I more or less brushed it off after the initial sting, because I was convinced I was going to make something of myself when I grew up. As an adult, I'm ashamed to be proving her right. I sometimes feel like a loser, because I'm consistently sort of "failing" at life. But since the possibility remains that it could turn around someday, I wouldn't say that "loser" is who I am, or who anyone is, inherently. It's just my circumstances that are making me feel that way.

Depends on what context loser is in.

Am I a loser in caring for animals? No. I am not a loser.
Am I loser for writing songs and playing instruments? No. I am not a loser.
Am I a loser for coding hard to write programs and databases? No. I am not a loser.
Am I a loser for writing stories and working on a novel? No. I am not a loser.
Am I a loser for caring for friends and family, and being a good person? No. I am not a loser.

Am I a loser for playing sports? Yes, because I can't play sports.
Am I a loser for never having been in a relationship? Yes, because I have never been in a relationship.

Those two negatives are the only ones that would make me a loser. And maybe I'm a loser, in society's eyes. But as far as the positives are concerned, they outweigh the negatives.

The best way to tell if you're a loser or not is to make a list of both positive and negative traits. If there are more negative than positive, you are a loser. If there are more positive than negative, cheer up, and stop being so hard on yourself.

In my opinion, a loser is someone who stops trying to win.

For example, I used to complain about my problems without doing anything to fix them. I couldn't accept my lot in life, but I wasn't willing to do anything to change either. That, more than anything else, made me a loser.

I still complain.....a lot, but now I'm trying to make things better.

ForeverVirile said:
Apologies if a similar thread has been posted. I didn't do my fair share of searching outside of going through a couple of pages on this subforum.

So, what is a loser? Do you abide to a general definition or do you have your own perspective? Do you think the idea of 'being a loser' is silly or do you prefer a different word?

I've felt like a loser before (see this). I feel like one now. My family thinks I'm going to college and that I have been since 2009 when, in all reality, I haven't been inside of a college classroom since December 10, 2009. Since then, I've been a bit of a recluse, hanging out with my closest friends once or twice a month maybe, and outside of that I do hardly anything. I've developed some social anxiety from it all due to the fact that I don't get out as often as I should. And I should. By myself. For the exposure part of it. Anyhow, I'm rambling.

I feel like a loser because of my boneheaded actions that I wish I could go back in time to account for. I feel like one for being cheated on/lied to a couple of years ago. The list goes on.

I can't tell you the point of this thread. I just wanted to hear the perspectives of others on the word 'loser' and why you might have the negative, unmeritable feelings of erroneously identifying yourself as one? Negative mindsets, etc.?

I don't think you're loser, you wouldn't feel bad about your actions if you were.

I don't know what your reasons are for not attending college, whether it be deeper issues like depression and social anxiety, or school just isn't your thing - regardless, you should come clean to your family. Odds are they'll find out anyway when your expected graduation date comes up, and it will be less hurtful for them if you fess up ahead of time, rather than they find out on their own; especially if they're helping pay your expenses.

I know it won't be easy, but it will save you a lot of grief down the road, plus, they may even be willing to help with whatever is holding you back.

As for being cheated on, that's on her, not you! The past is the past - as painful as the experience was, you have to let it go. Take what you learned from your mistakes, and hers, and apply it to future relationships, it's the only choice you have.

I really wouldn't call anyone a loser.. who's to say what makes one a winner or a loser? It all depends on what the situation is.

But if by definition, I would think a loser is more like someone who did not achieve what they are supposed to achieve in order to win something, like in a competition.

Locke said:
In my opinion, a loser is someone who stops trying to win.

+1. Was just about to say exactly that.
A loser is someone who gives up. Simple as that.

(Dani, anyone who thinks you are a loser doesn't know you. Just saying.)

ForeverVirile said:

I've been called a 'loser' a few times.

I think it means I have nothing going for me. No friends, no woman, and a minimum wage job with no prospects.

I don't agree by the way !

ForeverVirile said:
So, what is a loser? Do you abide to a general definition or do you have your own perspective?

My opinion? Someone who spends more time telling others about what he or she is going to do/be/say than actually making it happen. Talking honeysuckle vs. action.

Latest posts

Back