Does anyone else feel like this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeoneSomewhere

Reaction score
One of my biggest problems right now is that I feel like a retarded kid stuck in a limbo between the school kid who wanted attention and the guy who's socially retarded and knows nothing about the world.

Here's an example: I'm a guy and I often overhear other guys speaking of their encounters with girls, of how someone made a negative comment about some girl and she was all up in their arms. I know this isn't the exact scenario but is comparable to what I usually feel. Sometime ago, I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that some guy can just randomly approach a girl and tell her that he liked her. It would become more confusing for me when I'd hear that the girl accepted the proposal and it started an instant relationship. The whole idea of a "relationship" then befuddled me. I know this sounds crazy but it did.

It's like some things aren't possible in my world, like for instance, a lot of the notions of modern-day courtship and relationships astound me.

Thanks to all this, I feel farther away from humanity, like I don't understand humans at all and like I don't belong. Or like something's really, inherently wrong with me and I'm destined to be alone while others enjoy the company of others.

Now, why do I feel like this? Why do I feel retarded? Do we have anyone else here who feels the same?

That is quite the generalisation. According to what you've written, all of humanity is exactly like the people you have witnessed in these scenarios. Also, according to what you've said, everyone should be exactly like those people described in the scenarios. If they are not, they are retarded, and all sorts of mentally incompetence stuff.

You need to stop comparing yourself to others, and find the value that you and only you have. You have to believe that something different can happen. For as long as you compare yourself to the people you've mentioned, you will be exactly that, but worse. Don't be like that.

-Sai- said:
That is quite the generalisation. According to what you've written, all of humanity is exactly like the people you have witnessed in these scenarios. Also, according to what you've said, everyone should be exactly like those people described in the scenarios. If they are not, they are retarded, and all sorts of mentally incompetence stuff.

You need to stop comparing yourself to others, and find the value that you and only you have. You have to believe that something different can happen. For as long as you compare yourself to the people you've mentioned, you will be exactly that, but worse. Don't be like that.

I don't mean it for them, I mean it for myself. I'm the retarded one and I don't know if I'll ever belong. It's like if I come across a random group of strangers, I'll feel like I lack a certain form of intelligence or competence or skill that is needed to communicate with them, even if I don't. Like, say I'm with a group of friends and we decide to go up and talk with another group of people. I'll be the one standing at the back and never the one actively participating. Shyness, anxiety and everything else aside, I know something else comes into play. I know these aren't the only reasons why I do this.

I quote this example in my conversations with myself but when I'm with my mom and someone walks up to us and asks for directions or makes random talk, I'm never the one to interact. I feel like I'm the 7 year old who should just let his mom speak whereas sometimes, the person who is in question would be much younger than me and the question is directed at myself.

Shipster0958 said:
Watch your casual use of the word "retarded".

I don't mean it as in mentally retarded (I have utmost respect for the ones who suffer from it), I mean it as in "socially retarded". I feel like I am that. And even if I do, I feel like I'm behind my years when it comes to mental development.

To the mods: If my use of that word is not accepted, I'll be happy to replace it.

SomeoneSomewhere said:
I don't mean it for them, I mean it for myself. I'm the retarded one and I don't know if I'll ever belong. It's like if I come across a random group of strangers, I'll feel like I lack a certain form of intelligence or competence or skill that is needed to communicate with them, even if I don't. Like, say I'm with a group of friends and we decide to go up and talk with another group of people. I'll be the one standing at the back and never the one actively participating. Shyness, anxiety and everything else aside, I know something else comes into play. I know these aren't the only reasons why I do this.

I know that you meant you. What i'm trying to say is that it will benefit you to stop trying to fit in places and look at your own value, your own ideals, your own goals. If you know that you know where to look for connections with other people, and working on that will become much easier, though still hard.

Latest posts

Back