Alone for life.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
The one hope which has kept me going for many lonely years and which has pushed me to build a social life and to do online dating as well and to learn to cook etc is the hope that one day I would meet someone to settle down with and build a life with. My nearest friends are all happily single, and they can't relate to my loneliness or desire to settle down. This makes me feel even lonelier. I saw my therapist today and she has always been supportive of my hope to meet someone, but suddenly this morning she said that while I should go on hoping and trying to meet someone, I should also accept that I might always be alone. Although I know this deep inside, it is a fear I always push away as it is too heavy and awful for me to deal with. Her saying it makes me feel such awful pain and despair. I have been lonely for 30 years and now I am feeling another 25-30 years of potential loneliness all at once.
I know it might sound odd to say that although part of me knows I might always be alone, I prefer not to listen to that part of me. Without hope, there would be nothing left. I would prefer to go on hoping right to the end of my life (if I don't meet anyone before then) that there will be someone for me, and I don't see the point in trying to deal with future loneliness now when I have my present loneliness to deal with. If worst comes to worst and I am always alone, I want to have the hope inside me that this might only be a temporary state even if I live alone till I am 95. It is the only thing which will keep me going and get me through the night. I feel completely alone now in my desire not to be alone, as up to now I could at least depend on my therapist to back me up even though my friends didn't. It isn't as if my wanting to meet someone has turned me into a Miss Haversham figure, in total isolation. Instead it pushes me out of my house to meet people. I need to get all this out and to see what anyone here thinks.

What can I say, I am a sucker for hope... if you set reasonable goals for yourself, some time ago you even posted something about companionship relationships so you are clearly not aiming for some unreasonable 'perfect' relationship, if you honestly work on yourself to see if something is holding you back from fulfilling your wishes without you knowing it and you keep putting yourself out there, it should work, it is logical that it will work. Or maybe your therapist was suggesting to try and focus on other things than finding a relationship? I hope she meant that, otherwise what she said sounds a little insensitive.

Hello Peaches, thank you for your sensitivity and understanding, and for acknowledging that I am not being unrealistic in my hopes.
I'm not sure whether my therapist was suggesting that I focus on other things instead of finding a relationship. I know that I do think about a relationship a lot of the time. But as it pushes me to go out and do things, then it can't be wholly bad. Hopefully one day all of my efforts will lead me to the right person. To be honest, I agree with you that my therapist was insensitive. She went through a bad time herself some years ago before marrying her present husband where she cried herself to sleep every night, felt lonely and unlovable etc till she met him. I asked her if she would have been able to follow her own advice back then and accept that she might be alone for the rest of her life and to stop hoping and she said that she wouldn't have been able to. I have run into this sort of thing before, people who would hate to be in my situation and who give me advice which they would be unable to follow themselves.

Hey Tiina63, on one hand I can see a possible benefit to accepting you may be always be alone. In that the pressure would be off and you might actually be more likely to find someone, but I think this is only true if you are overly stressing about finding someone. If your therapist thinks you may be self defeating in some way because you want so bad to find someone. I could see the logic behind it.

But on the other bigger hand, you already know that it is possible that you may never meet someone no matter how far in the back of your mind you keep it. And I would say that the likely hood of not meeting someone is less than meeting someone. What harm does it do to believe that you will meet someone great. Positive believing and hope are proven to be effective as far as I am concerned.

I figure which ever route you go the key is to not stress about it. Not to be desperate to the point where you are constantly stressing about meeting someone. But if you can have fun and enjoy the hunt, than I see no problem focusing on and believing you will not be alone. This option seems much better than just letting go and seeing what happens, IMO.

I say don't accept, and keep at it, keep working on bettering yourself, and go get what it is you desire. And God forbid in the end if you are still alone, you will at least be one seriously awesome person from all the bettering, and you will have the pride that you gave it your all, and hopefully you will have enjoyed the pursuit. :)

Not sure if any of this makes sense or will be helpful, its super hot where I am at the moment and I may be getting delirious. If nothing else maybe you will at least get a chuckle out of my feeble attempt at good advice. :D Best of luck in your pursuit!:)

What's bad with the online dating? Is it not working? I have found some people prefer it as the other person is able to see them for who they are - way before "judging a book by it's cover". Some people find that special person right away.... Or years down the road. No one is cookie cut :)

Don't stress yourself out on it though. You'll end up making yourself sick with the worry and stress - believe me. If you are more relaxed as yourself... That is exactly how others will see it. If you are tense, nervous and stuck on the "what if" feeling... People do see it.

Hello Senamian, online dating hasn't yet worked for me. I think it is partly because of lack of confidence and partly because, as an introvert, I find dating hard anyway. There is this expectation I feel that, as a woman, I will find conversing easy and will be good at drawing a man out while in reality I often struggle to find things to say.
Thank you garbageman for your support and encouragement. I know that if I gave up looking for someone, I would sink into complete darkness and despair and would not come out of it. I would be giving up on ever finding happiness or closeness and I just can't do this. The thought that one day I will meet someone and that I won't be so alone anymore (I have no family) keeps me going.

I don't know what to say to add on or make you feel better but I really admire you and your determination. I really hope one day that you do meet that person so you won't be alone anymore. I'll keep wishing and thinking of positive outcomes for you, Tiina. *hugs*

Thank you ladyforsaken. You are very kind and the sensitivity of your reply really touches my heart. Thank for saying that you will keep wishing and thinking of positve outcomes for me. It means a lot to me that I can come heere and find support and encouragement.

Tiina63 said:
The one hope which has kept me going for many lonely years and which has pushed me to build a social life and to do online dating as well and to learn to cook etc is the hope that one day I would meet someone to settle down with and build a life with. My nearest friends are all happily single, and they can't relate to my loneliness or desire to settle down. This makes me feel even lonelier. I saw my therapist today and she has always been supportive of my hope to meet someone, but suddenly this morning she said that while I should go on hoping and trying to meet someone, I should also accept that I might always be alone. Although I know this deep inside, it is a fear I always push away as it is too heavy and awful for me to deal with. Her saying it makes me feel such awful pain and despair. I have been lonely for 30 years and now I am feeling another 25-30 years of potential loneliness all at once.
I know it might sound odd to say that although part of me knows I might always be alone, I prefer not to listen to that part of me. Without hope, there would be nothing left. I would prefer to go on hoping right to the end of my life (if I don't meet anyone before then) that there will be someone for me, and I don't see the point in trying to deal with future loneliness now when I have my present loneliness to deal with. If worst comes to worst and I am always alone, I want to have the hope inside me that this might only be a temporary state even if I live alone till I am 95. It is the only thing which will keep me going and get me through the night. I feel completely alone now in my desire not to be alone, as up to now I could at least depend on my therapist to back me up even though my friends didn't. It isn't as if my wanting to meet someone has turned me into a Miss Haversham figure, in total isolation. Instead it pushes me out of my house to meet people. I need to get all this out and to see what anyone here thinks.

Dating is hard for most people I know in real life and on here.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time being single. I feel stressed out by that a lot myself.

Therapists are only human, their advice and opinions aren't set in stone.

Tiina well done for challenging your therapists advice, I think sometimes whats said by therapists is seen as gospel, they may be qualified to help but no one knows you better than you know yourself.

I don't think you should give up hope at all because I always see you've a lot to offer in your posts, they've always been kind and considerate and its always reflected well on you. I really hope it happens for you, and when it does, it certainly wont be down to luck, you're a catch! So keep hoping but also make it happen! Be sure to keep putting yourself out there. :cool:

Tiina63 said:

I was like that at times, in my early to mid-20's. These days things have changed....but it's understandable. Unfortunately we live in the age of speed-dating, of online profiles that lie about every feature of a person. It's a time where if you have a good-paying job & if it requires you to move 2,000 miles away from where you are, then you do it...even if it means leaving a wife & friends behind. (Facebook is a poor substitute for hanging out with one's friends.) Ours is an atomized society.

I wish I knew what advice to give you. If you kiss enough frogs then you'll find your prince...at least that's the theory.

no, don't kiss any frogs! make them talk a bit first, so you can see if they are ever remotely princely, or if they are just pond trash ;)

You're not alone. Many days I just come home from work to my home, cry while I'm walking home, then turn on the radio or TV for "company" and cry some more and I don't share my sadness with anyone because I don't think anyone can understand. And I have fears about having to spend my whole life alone, deprived of human contact and touch.

Did she somehow think the possibility of remaining alone hadn't already occurred to you. Why bring it up?

That's almost like an invalidation of your normal desires.

Maybe she had some idea is wasn't healthy to focus on something that may never happen. But that's it; not many can just switch off one side of their humanity

rdor said:
Did she somehow think the possibility of being alone for life hadn't already occurred to you. Why bring it up!?

That's almost like an invalidation of your entirely normal desires.

Maybe she had some misguided idea that is wasn't healthy to focus on something that may never happen. But that's it; not many can just switch off one side of their humanity

I can't.

MTrip, I know what you mean about modern life. It seems that people and places are disposable nowadays. I hope that I don't have to kiss many more frogs.
Alonewithtwocats-I am very sad that you are as alone as I am. The thing about being so lonely is that often I feel that I am the only one who feels like this even though coming here shows me that I am not. Our present day culture praises independence but for me independence is another word for emptiness and loneliness. Do you find that having to hide how you really feel is one the the worst things about being alone? It makes me feel even more alone. I am scared of getting to the end of my life and looking back and thinking what a waste it was on an emotional level.
Rdor-I agree with you. It was like an invalidation of my normal human desire for love and companionship, for someone to matter to. And it especially hurt because, as I wrote earlier, she herself was deeply unhappy when she was single and yet, as many other people have done to me during my life, she is telling me to accept something which she herself could never have accepted for herself. What would life be without any hope of things improving? It would be unbearable.

I should qualify that: it's important to maintain an interest in other things that bring you happiness. If you think too much about it it might just make you crazy and so miserable that you can't enjoy anything.

Tiina63 said:
MTrip, I know what you mean about modern life. It seems that people and places are disposable nowadays. I hope that I don't have to kiss many more frogs.
Alonewithtwocats-I am very sad that you are as alone as I am. The thing about being so lonely is that often I feel that I am the only one who feels like this even though coming here shows me that I am not. Our present day culture praises independence but for me independence is another word for emptiness and loneliness. Do you find that having to hide how you really feel is one the the worst things about being alone? It makes me feel even more alone. I am scared of getting to the end of my life and looking back and thinking what a waste it was on an emotional level.
Rdor-I agree with you. It was like an invalidation of my normal human desire for love and companionship, for someone to matter to. And it especially hurt because, as I wrote earlier, she herself was deeply unhappy when she was single and yet, as many other people have done to me during my life, she is telling me to accept something which she herself could never have accepted for herself. What would life be without any hope of things improving? It would be unbearable.

The last therapist I had kept telling me I just needed to get laid and he even suggested I go to some kind of Chinese social club in my neighborhood because he claimed that it was easy to pick up Chinese girls because they were into white men.

So I stopped going back. Maybe his advice would have been valid for some guys but it wasn't really the kind of guidance I was looking for.

When you are lonely it's nice to spend time with friends offline, it would be worth the effort to make some if you don't know anyone. Making friends is a lot less stressful than dating, and it's a good way to meet single guys without any pressure.

Being in a relationship isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway, just look at that lady who pushed her husband off a cliff the day after they were married.

Latest posts

Back