Im confused...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken_n_Lost

Reaction score
I really dont know what Im doing right now...my head is messed up (with all my personal crap) and now Im getting into something which I shouldnt be getting into...and Im flipping confused.

He's a guy from work (alarm bells should already be going off) and we had one kiss at the beginning of the year (which was nice!), then I got all weird (coz Im stupid like that and I feel too scared to get into something real with anyone, hence why Im on here) and we didnt speak for ages (but remained professional at work). Then we went to a colleagues wedding (two months back) and had a nice time and again we kissed (again amazing). We dated for a short while (I mean a week!!!!) I texted him I need space and that we wanted different things and he left me alone. One week after my text he got with someone and now he is moving to Brazil for this new woman. I was initially hurt by how quick he moved on but saw he was truly happy so I let him be. We have always remained professional at work and no hard feelings between us. Im in a vulnerable place right now (work and family issues) and we all went out for a drink late night and when the night was over I found him in my arms again. This is messed up, I dont like this situation at all but I really dont want him regretting things so I told him to go Brazil coz I know he will regret not going. But he wants me to convince him that he should stay. I dont know what to do but then again I do, I know Im messed up and I think people like me need to be alone, we just cant handle love or being loved or understand being loved. I mean I doubt everything he declares for me because he went with someone one week after me. But he claims I broke his heart by my text...

I want him to be happy. I dont think I can do that. Thank you for reading, I know what I will do, put my walls up and allow him to move on.

There's a popular quote: People accept the love they think they deserve

Forgive me if all of this is wrong. It seems like you don't think you deserve any. You've obviously been hurt before. So you've decided nobody will ever hurt you again, and you're not even going to try. You are unworthy of love.

I would say be honest with yourself. Close your eyes, and think a year in the future. If it's possible you could be happy with this guy, you should seriously consider giving him a shot. In his mind you sticking around will definitely make him so that isn't the real question. You said you don't want him regretting things, but it seems more like you're just scared. When you broke up in the past. Did you really believe that you wanted different things? How much of that was fear? Why do you really keep breaking things off?

I also find it a bit unusual he's willing to move to Brazil with a woman, but leave her for a girl he has only spent a short time outside of work really getting to really know. If he's willing to leave her that easily, I doubt he'll regret it that much. Again, all opinion. I just don't think you should be so set on your decision without giving your own happiness more consideration.

lostatsea said:
There's a popular quote: People accept the love they think they deserve

Forgive me if all of this is wrong. It seems like you don't think you deserve any. You've obviously been hurt before. So you've decided nobody will ever hurt you again, and you're not even going to try. You are unworthy of love.

I would say be honest with yourself. Close your eyes, and think a year in the future. If it's possible you could be happy with this guy, you should seriously consider giving him a shot. In his mind you sticking around will definitely make him so that isn't the real question. You said you don't want him regretting things, but it seems more like you're just scared. When you broke up in the past. Did you really believe that you wanted different things? How much of that was fear? Why do you really keep breaking things off?

I also find it a bit unusual he's willing to move to Brazil with a woman, but leave her for a girl he has only spent a short time outside of work really getting to really know. If he's willing to leave her that easily, I doubt he'll regret it that much. Again, all opinion. I just don't think you should be so set on your decision without giving your own happiness more consideration.

Thank you for the advice lostatsea, you got me so right (by the way). I am scared cat esp of love and I dont think I deserve it. I do really like him and I know he feels the same, its just messed up right now esp with him being with this new girl. But I dont know what to do...say I ask him to stay with me and then later down the road I act like a scared fool (which has been always been my history with men), he would then feel regret because he lost the Brazilian girl and me. I dont what to mess things up with him, he has already felt heart broken by me from our last break-up and he was upset (which is very rare for a grown man to express). I did think we wanted different things at that time (previous break up) but now not so sure, he just wants to be there for me and support me (all things I want) but I am genuinely scared and I dont know if I can change...:(

I'd say if you do choose to try with this man all you need to do is be honest. If I were this guy, and all you did was link me this thread and tell me to read it, I would know exactly what I'm getting into and what might happen. I would also still go for it without any regrets.

Maybe a guy like this is exactly what you need to get over that fear. Somebody who obviously cares for you. Seems genuine, and won't seem to go away easily even though you keep trying to push him away.

first im going to apologize if this seems heartless..

Broken_n_Lost said:
But he wants me to convince him that he should stay.

this is in my opinion very wrong. what went through my head when i read that was (from his perspective) "show me what you got, and ill see if you are worth more than the girl in brazil"

on one hand yes, everyone should reach for the best thing (person). and if you are the better choice, he wants to choose you... on the other hand, i think he executed it poorly and is, in my opinion, [heartless].

i dont doubt he is a great guy.. but probably not the greatest YOU can get. my advice is as you said.. just let him go. you two want different things. him moving on a week after you 'broke up' could very well mean what you think it means. especially with the line i quoted.

lostatsea said:
I'd say if you do choose to try with this man all you need to do is be honest. If I were this guy, and all you did was link me this thread and tell me to read it, I would know exactly what I'm getting into and what might happen. I would also still go for it without any regrets.

Maybe a guy like this is exactly what you need to get over that fear. Somebody who obviously cares for you. Seems genuine, and won't seem to go away easily even though you keep trying to push him away.

You are different, I dont think he will think the same as you and go for it as I am a big risk...although he does say I give him aggro (but the kind he likes???). I really dont know tho, Im so use to being alone, maybe Im just built that way, to be alone...

To be frank I have been honest with him so far and he knows Im messed up and he still accepts me for it but how do you know if this is the person for you? I feel like Im in catch 22, I have some many apprehensions and no flipping real answers.

But he did go away, remember he got with another person just after one week of receiving my text, which made me doubt him. And since we work together we see each other and everyone at work told me about his new woman (they are all claiming he loves her). This is what made me think I made the right decision but apparently we still have something. And he has said things has been made very complicated now, Im an idiot, I shouldn't have kissed him again. I also feel very very very bad for the girl, she really likes him and we kissed! Its not great and I feel like the evil person in this situation, I should of just let him be instead of messing with his head (which wasn't the case but that what it would seem like to an outsider), this is why I think I should f-off. I technically killed things, he then found someone (one week after me, which isn't the nicest feeling) and now we are both vulnerable...PANTS!

Regumika said:
first im going to apologize if this seems heartless..

Broken_n_Lost said:
But he wants me to convince him that he should stay.

this is in my opinion very wrong. what went through my head when i read that was (from his perspective) "show me what you got, and ill see if you are worth more than the girl in brazil"

on one hand yes, everyone should reach for the best thing (person). and if you are the better choice, he wants to choose you... on the other hand, i think he executed it poorly and is, in my opinion, [heartless].

i dont doubt he is a great guy.. but probably not the greatest YOU can get. my advice is as you said.. just let him go. you two want different things. him moving on a week after you 'broke up' could very well mean what you think it means. especially with the line i quoted.

Yes this is exactly my point! I feel like moving on only one week after our break (which was one text saying that I need space and we want different things) was very wrong and not genuine. I was and still happy for him and thats why I think he should give the Brazilian a go. I dont think youre heartless at all Regumika, you said what I was feeling. Thanks

It is definitely a very awkward spot you're in. On a superficial note, I appreciate that you feel evil. Having been hanging around someone with questionable morals it's refreshing to see someone who has them.

That being said sometimes you should be selfish in life when it comes to your own happiness.

I'm going to rephrase your situation differently, because I'm a person who carries way too much regret.

You have two scenarios. One he leaves and goes with this girl to Brazil. Two he stays and you give yourself a shot at happiness.

Which would you regret more? Not even trying, or stopping him from going to Brazil AND it still failed. (worst case scenario)

BnL, just wanted to add another of my opinion...

you make yourself sound like you are a bad person in this case.. but i dont see it that way, here is why.

perhaps he has been dating two (or more) people at the same time. but thats not a bad thing. in my opinion.. people 'should' be dating multiple people [often]. now when i say date i dont mean a relationship. you dont have to be in a relationship to hug, to kiss (casual?), or maybe hold hands a bit. dating is casual (no sleeping together or stuff like that).

dating is meant to be the means to see if you [actually] like/love/in love with the person or not (first impression was good, which is why you got interested in the first place). perhaps he liked you and the brazilian. since you stepped a little bit away from him, he made his other available choice. but who knows? what you should be focused on is that you are not at any fault. you didnt [intrude] or [cross] any line with their 'relationship' (dating).

go out and just think about dating, not a relationship... a real relationship will follow naturally, from good dating, when you are ready.

lostatsea said:
It is definitely a very awkward spot you're in. On a superficial note, I appreciate that you feel evil. Having been hanging around someone with questionable morals it's refreshing to see someone who has them.

That being said sometimes you should be selfish in life when it comes to your own happiness.

I'm going to rephrase your situation differently, because I'm a person who carries way too much regret.

You have two scenarios. One he leaves and goes with this girl to Brazil. Two he stays and you give yourself a shot at happiness.

Which would you regret more? Not even trying, or stopping him from going to Brazil AND it still failed. (worst case scenario)

I dont think I will regret him going to Brazil because he seems really happy with her and I never feel regret when someone I care about is happy (thats what happened to me before, obv it hurt at the time but ultimately I was and am still happy for him). I honestly think he will regret not going and he has already brought his tickets, when I mentioned that he has a woman in Brazil he kept saying that he will be going there...this is where I am truly confused, are his feelings for me genuine or not? It seems real when he is with me but then again who would move on that quick?

Regumika said:
BnL, just wanted to add another of my opinion...

you make yourself sound like you are a bad person in this case.. but i dont see it that way, here is why.

perhaps he has been dating two (or more) people at the same time. but thats not a bad thing. in my opinion.. people 'should' be dating multiple people [often]. now when i say date i dont mean a relationship. you dont have to be in a relationship to hug, to kiss (casual?), or maybe hold hands a bit. dating is casual (no sleeping together or stuff like that).

dating is meant to be the means to see if you [actually] like/love/in love with the person or not (first impression was good, which is why you got interested in the first place). perhaps he liked you and the brazilian. since you stepped a little bit away from him, he made his other available choice. but who knows? what you should be focused on is that you are not at any fault. you didnt [intrude] or [cross] any line with their 'relationship' (dating).

go out and just think about dating, not a relationship... a real relationship will follow naturally, from good dating, when you are ready.

Thank you Regumika for not thinking bad of me, you do have a valid point, however I still feel a tad bit evil. :(

I think relationships at work is too much or Im a chicken and looking for any excuse to get out (no surprises there).

So I was right about the guy, he told me he would regret not going to Brazil so I let him be...

You seem fine with his choice as does he. A lot of dramatics but in the end I think his willingness to go and your willingness to let him means this is really for the best.

lostatsea said:
You seem fine with his choice as does he. A lot of dramatics but in the end I think his willingness to go and your willingness to let him means this is really for the best.

Its all for the best lostatsea. But just a lonely weekend instead...**** doing the right thing is soooooooooooooooo boring...

Broken_n_Lost said:
lostatsea said:

Its all for the best lostatsea. But just a lonely weekend instead...**** doing the right thing is soooooooooooooooo boring...

i know what you mean...

so it just reminded me of something that happened to me... i think its a natural human behavior.

my wife and i separated a year ago. but we still live together and i still take care of her. i am supportive to her decisions if/when she finds a partner etc etc right? okay, so when she decided that i for sure wasnt the one for her and that she likes someone else.. i said, okay, good, now you know for sure - because im supportive right? if she realizes something (even if sad for me) im going to support it and there really isnt anything i can do about it either. what? am i going to tell her that she is wrong? i cant tell her to feel something for me.

anyways, what was her response? "what? thats it? just like that?" um, what did you expect? you wanted me to support your decision...

people just want others to beg them. it makes them feel important. all [he] was doing was probably using the feelings you had for him to make him feel more confident in going, like he was worth something. he wants your recognition. even though he didnt plan to stay in the first place even if you DID beg for him to stay.

you know, its like the whole thing where "why didnt you invite me to the party?" everyone knows he wasnt going to go, but he wants to be asked so that he can feel important enough about himself even though he would have said no regardless. its a natural human trait. learn to not require to be begged to feel good yourself and your life would be so much better (and also understand when others are doing it, it will cause a lot less stress on your heart).

Regumika said:
Broken_n_Lost said:
lostatsea said:

i know what you mean...

so it just reminded me of something that happened to me... i think its a natural human behavior.

my wife and i separated a year ago. but we still live together and i still take care of her. i am supportive to her decisions if/when she finds a partner etc etc right? okay, so when she decided that i for sure wasnt the one for her and that she likes someone else.. i said, okay, good, now you know for sure - because im supportive right? if she realizes something (even if sad for me) im going to support it and there really isnt anything i can do about it either. what? am i going to tell her that she is wrong? i cant tell her to feel something for me.

anyways, what was her response? "what? thats it? just like that?" um, what did you expect? you wanted me to support your decision...

people just want others to beg them. it makes them feel important. all [he] was doing was probably using the feelings you had for him to make him feel more confident in going, like he was worth something. he wants your recognition. even though he didnt plan to stay in the first place even if you DID beg for him to stay.

you know, its like the whole thing where "why didnt you invite me to the party?" everyone knows he wasnt going to go, but he wants to be asked so that he can feel important enough about himself even though he would have said no regardless. its a natural human trait. learn to not require to be begged to feel good yourself and your life would be so much better (and also understand when others are doing it, it will cause a lot less stress on your heart).

To be honest I kinda understand from your wife's point of view... that she wanted more of a fight from you... but then again I get yours, I know it must of been hard for you to support her even though her decision made you feel sad.
I guess women and men think very differently from each other (which is half the fun mind you) but I do think Im the type that needs a man who is willing to fight for her otherwise I just think they wont last my emotionally crazy self and life.

But you're definitely right about this guy, he did want the extra attention and the grovelling (it was never going to happen, you either want me or you dont) which he didnt get. But Im glad I did the right thing by ME at least, my conscious is clear and hopefully on the horizon are new adventures for me...

yes. i understand where she is coming from. where youre coming from. putting up a fight... i do agree. but my situation was pretty much "dont fight for me but fight for me" type of deal.. its a losing battle.. now if it were a different situation where im protecting her.. and i would lose regardless, i would still fight, but thats not the same.

yeah. men and women are different. men and women are the same. and.. sometimes we want something, but at the same time we dont want it. if only human beings arent so complicated.. right?

Regumika said:
yes. i understand where she is coming from. where youre coming from. putting up a fight... i do agree. but my situation was pretty much "dont fight for me but fight for me" type of deal.. its a losing battle.. now if it were a different situation where im protecting her.. and i would lose regardless, i would still fight, but thats not the same.

yeah. men and women are different. men and women are the same. and.. sometimes we want something, but at the same time we dont want it. if only human beings arent so complicated.. right?

But then again without complications where would the fun be? Without difference, where would the compromise be, if we were all the same??? ;P

Im sorry to hear about your situation, she obviously didn't know what she wanted in the end, life is confusing to say the least.

Speaking of confusing the guy from work is playing with my head, guess thats the drawback of mixing business with pleasure, they are always in your face! Im going to have to find a new squeeze soon (or at least a friend willing to be mine just so he forgets me).

Men...cant live with them and yes I cant live with them...lol

Latest posts

Back