Feeling deflated after tonight...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWalkingDead

Reaction score
I'd agreed to go to a new social event for like minded people after a friend had said they didn't want to go on their own. I'd been sent the Facebook group link and joined it, and a few people had said they were worried about turning up to something like this on their own, but were told, no, someone will welcome you and it will be ok. It was said to be a drop in/drop out sort of informal meetup.

So I met my friend and we found this place (a bar/eaterie) and walked in 10 mins after the scheduled starting time to a place that was very busy indeed. There were 3 long tables, all of which were full, and the bar was very busy. So we got some drinks and tried to figure out if this was all the social event, or just some of it. My friend said they would have walked out if on their own, I think I would have done too as we had no idea what was going on, nobody had welcomed us and there was no sign of which table the group was. Everybody was talking to each other, already had drinks and food and seemed to know each other.

Eventually from trying to match up people's pics on Facebook to the real life people there, we figured out which was the table, and went over, and had to ask was this the right group, as there was no room on the main big table we had to sit on the next table, and were sat next to two people, we were kind of jammed in and could only talk to the two people right by us, and the music was so loud I could barely make a word out they were saying or even hear what I was saying. Eventually we left after we'd had some food.

I felt deflated right away, even more so when I got back and there's a stream of messages on Facebook saying what a great evening it was and how great it was to meet everyone. That wasn't my experience, everyone already seemed to know each other, and there was no way to meet everyone, on a long table that was already full when we got there (10 minutes after the start time, I've never seen anything get going so quickly!).

The people I talked to were friendly enough, and the organisers were nice enough people once we eventually figured out who they were and said hello, but it felt like the whole objective (of taking the plunge and going to meet a variety of new people) had been totally missed, am wondering how many people might have worked up the courage to go on their own, and just left after they walked into a bar full of full tables and people who already seemed to know each other.

I don't lack confidence but I just felt there wasn't much point in being there, would have loved a quiet venue where I could hear myself think and at least hear what someone else was saying apart from the person right next to me who had to keep repeating everything 3 times. I wish people who organised these things would think about the logistics and choose a place where you can actually talk to people and be introduced to new people if that's why you've gone there, rather than walk out wondering why you went there at all :( I was hoping this might be the start of going out meeting some new people but feel quite uncertain whether I will go again now... Maybe a different venue and a different event will be different...

I think I'd have been better off spending the night on here :D Really needed to blow of some steam and knew I would be able to do that here :)

TheWalkingDead said:
I'd agreed to go to a new social event for like minded people after a friend had said they didn't want to go on their own. I'd been sent the Facebook group link and joined it, and a few people had said they were worried about turning up to something like this on their own, but were told, no, someone will welcome you and it will be ok. It was said to be a drop in/drop out sort of informal meetup.

So I met my friend and we found this place (a bar/eaterie) and walked in 10 mins after the scheduled starting time to a place that was very busy indeed. There were 3 long tables, all of which were full, and the bar was very busy. So we got some drinks and tried to figure out if this was all the social event, or just some of it. My friend said they would have walked out if on their own, I think I would have done too as we had no idea what was going on, nobody had welcomed us and there was no sign of which table the group was. Everybody was talking to each other, already had drinks and food and seemed to know each other.

Eventually from trying to match up people's pics on Facebook to the real life people there, we figured out which was the table, and went over, and had to ask was this the right group, as there was no room on the main big table we had to sit on the next table, and were sat next to two people, we were kind of jammed in and could only talk to the two people right by us, and the music was so loud I could barely make a word out they were saying or even hear what I was saying. Eventually we left after we'd had some food.

I felt deflated right away, even more so when I got back and there's a stream of messages on Facebook saying what a great evening it was and how great it was to meet everyone. That wasn't my experience, everyone already seemed to know each other, and there was no way to meet everyone, on a long table that was already full when we got there (10 minutes after the start time, I've never seen anything get going so quickly!).

The people I talked to were friendly enough, and the organisers were nice enough people once we eventually figured out who they were and said hello, but it felt like the whole objective (of taking the plunge and going to meet a variety of new people) had been totally missed, am wondering how many people might have worked up the courage to go on their own, and just left after they walked into a bar full of full tables and people who already seemed to know each other.

I don't lack confidence but I just felt there wasn't much point in being there, would have loved a quiet venue where I could hear myself think and at least hear what someone else was saying apart from the person right next to me who had to keep repeating everything 3 times. I wish people who organised these things would think about the logistics and choose a place where you can actually talk to people and be introduced to new people if that's why you've gone there, rather than walk out wondering why you went there at all :( I was hoping this might be the start of going out meeting some new people but feel quite uncertain whether I will go again now... Maybe a different venue and a different event will be different...

I think I'd have been better off spending the night on here :D Really needed to blow of some steam and knew I would be able to do that here :)

I know just how you feel. You have expectations of a nice evening spent talking to other adults and maybe even making new friends and nothing turns out as expected. OMG I loathe loud gatherings. How are you suppose to talk to or hear others?

I know I'd be very disappointed after putting myself into that kind of mix and then having nothing to show for it at the end of the evening except for some frustration.
I hope the next one goes much better for you. :)

TheWalkingDead said:

at least you gave it a go and tried. I wouldn't go back again since you didn't enjoy it much. Hopefully the next time you go out will find something more suitable for your tastes.

What you described is my experience of socializing in general. Loud and horrible. I used to go out years back. I would either stand by myself all night or get laughed at if I attempted to talk to somebody. I just hate it, the noise and like you say, you can't have a decent conversation.

I know I'd probs walk out thinking the same. Plus the music would be a unwelcome distraction.

Situations like that are always so disappointing! I would be incredibly bothered about the loud music too, because what's the point of getting together with people if one can't even talk to others there? Sometimes I have this strange feeling that maybe some people are so happy (or desperate?) to be in the company of others that they don't care if the music is so loud that they can't have a normal conversation.

It reminds me of this one time I went out with some colleagues, to a place where the music made it completely impossible to talk, and basically everyone would sit and just nod happily at each other. I just remember thinking 'what is this supposed to be, and how soon can I leave without seeming too impolite?' lol.

And yeah, personally, I would feel deflated after an experience like that too. To me, it sounds like that venue was indeed badly organized and really not thought through. Sometimes I also have this notion that some people/places/groups are just simply not my kind of crowd, and sometimes when I do go to venues where everyone is like "this is so great!" and I'm just having a terrible time, I just sort it into that category. I don't know if it's a valid or 'true' way of seeing the world, but from that perspective, maybe that was the situation here, that they were just the kind of people who enjoyed 'hanging out' with loud music and who are comfortable with those kind of settings, while you may simply be the kind of person who doesn't enjoy that?

I do think you could try a different venue or a different event -- what do you have to lose, other than feeling (temporarily) deflated again? I would lower my expectations, and go there hoping for the best but being prepared for the worst. And if you see it's turning out like the last venue then, you can always just leave, knowing that you at least tried, which is an awesome accomplishment in itself.

I totally understand how you feel. My friend keeps asking me to go to these events.... I go and end up not having a very good time. My friend on the other hand has a great time! I don't plan to go to anymore of these events... but its great that you tried. And on a positive note, my friend met her incredibly awesome boyfriend at one of these events and they are both ridiculously happy. So.... I guess they don't suck for everyone. I'm sorry it wasn't a great experience for you... it never is for me either... but you could try again! :)

Thanks for the replies, some very useful feedback and great to know it's not just me being a bit fussy!

I have agreed to try again, at least it looks like the next one there will be more freedom to move about and mingle, I will report my findings in a few weeks lol :)

Latest posts

Back