If You're Feeling Lonely and Sad and Afraid to Reach Out...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good story! I can relate to a lot of what she went through growing up. I wish I had the courage to take out an ad like that. Instead, it's just going to be another lonely, depressing Christmas.

Mr.YellowCat said:
Maybe I can post an ad for cuddling partner for who I will cook for:)

Yeah actually, in case you didn't know, that is a thing on CL. I've seen "cuddle buddy" ads before.

murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

Yeah actually, in case you didn't know, that is a thing on CL. I've seen "cuddle buddy" ads before.

Whů, really? Interesting...
I never really used craigslist as in the place I live, its not really known.

Mr.YellowCat said:
murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

Really. You might not see many posters in your city's section since it's not known like you say but there are always lurkers on every website, so you may get replies anyway. :) Be safe and make them verify that they're actually human before you give them any personal information though.

SofiasMami said:
murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

Um, really? I could use one of those. :)

-Teresa

CL can be used for just about anything, that is within legal limits. Be it sensible or insensible.

murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:
murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

Really. You might not see many posters in your city's section since it's not known like you say but there are always lurkers on every website, so you may get replies anyway. :) Be safe and make them verify that they're actually human before you give them any personal information though.

Thank you for the recipe:) But I´m not doing it, that would be wrong and selfish of me... I was just joking that I would do it:) But that is not an option:)

It's nice that the woman found people who would be with her, but the worst aspect is the fact that she took out an ad in CL & offered to pay not much more than minimum wage for the "service". It's not her fault, but it is an indication of how the market has insinuated its way into every last facet of human life, & reframed each part of life in a purely profit-minded way. She wouldn't have needed to take out such an ad if real family & neighborhood cohesion still existed. And what killed the family & the neighborhood in modern society? Mainly, market forces & gov'tv reactions to them.

Mr.YellowCat said:
murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:
murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

Thank you for the recipe:) But I´m not doing it, that would be wrong and selfish of me... I was just joking that I would do it:) But that is not an option:)

How would it be wrong? I guess if you were in a relationship it would, but I wouldn't mind posting one of those exact ads myself someday when I live on my own. The idea is supposed to be that both of you need this affection, not that it's some paid service like what this woman wanted for Christmas, if that's what you're thinking(well depending on which category it's in).

MTrip said:
It's nice that the woman found people who would be with her, but the worst aspect is the fact that she took out an ad in CL & offered to pay not much more than minimum wage for the "service". It's not her fault, but it is an indication of how the market has insinuated its way into every last facet of human life, & reframed each part of life in a purely profit-minded way. She wouldn't have needed to take out such an ad if real family & neighborhood cohesion still existed. And what killed the family & the neighborhood in modern society? Mainly, market forces & gov'tv reactions to them.

We have online neighborhoods now, like Craigslist & ALL :)
Of course real human contact always beats virtual contact though.
I'm betting that no one would have taken this woman's ad seriously if she didn't offer to pay. The fact that she offered something shows her desperation, I think. Good on her for reaching out. If more people did that, we would indeed have more cohesive neighborhoods & communities. No matter who you are, we all need a friendly face and a helping hand sometimes.

murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:
murmi97 said:
Mr.YellowCat said:
murmi97 said:

How would it be wrong? I guess if you were in a relationship it would, but I wouldn't mind posting one of those exact ads myself someday when I live on my own. The idea is supposed to be that both of you need this affection, not that it's some paid service like what this woman wanted for Christmas, if that's what you're thinking(well depending on which category it's in).

Its personal, individual to say.
Cuddling is kinda intimate. Nice, but intimate. Someone looking for someone to cuddle with would indicate being lonely to a point of looking for someone to do it with.
And like that, one thing may lead to another, and because of that intimacy that one was lacking before, one may develop feeling towards the other.
The risk of that is too great for me to do so, as the nice moments of cuddling would be then countered by making someone sad by not feeling the same way back, or even if feeling, rejecting him/her.

So it would be wrong towards that person, risking the possibility of making him/her sad.

But that is only my case, it does not apply towards others, as others, unlike me, mostly, are seeking a relationship, partnership. I, unable to have one, would be selfish of risking someones mental well being just for making me feel artificially less lonely.

Its a long case:D

Its a nice idea, but too risky for me to do it:) I wont risk other ones well being:) Disappointing him/her:)

Thanks for having a conversation with me though:)

This reminds me of a woman, also in the news, in her forties who desperately wanted to be part of a family. She was professional, intelligent but for some reason I cannot remember, did not have a loving family of origin to go to. So she took out an ad to be "adopted". She titled it "FAMILY WANTED". Lo and behold she got a fair number of replies and did find her family. She was "adopted". She pontificated what it means to be part of a family. To work as a team, be needed/wanted, to "matter". Later she formed a website for others to find their family but the website is no longer up. I cannot find a trace of her or her story anywhere. I was curious because I, too, want to be part of a family...a loving caring unit. I am close to her age and really related to her.

It turns out the woman in my OP wound up hearing from people who wanted to help but also from other adults who have no good family to speak of and were also feeling alone. She found out she wasn't so alone after all.

-Teresa

I was alone this Christmas (as I usually am) as I have no family. Usually I don't mention it to many people out of embarrasment and also because when I have mentioned it in the past, noone has reached out to me. For some reason this year I did mention it at the reading group I go to, to a woman I am friendly with. She and two of the others who overheard were shocked and said they would have met up with me. I wish now that I had mentioned it earlier. It really warmed my heart that three people reached back to me when I reached out. I wonder how many other people hide the fact they are alone at Christmas out of embarrassment and out of fear that noone would include them if they did reach out?

Latest posts

Back