People don't like people who are "different"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camper

Reaction score
Hello,

Long story short:
I had constant isolation from the people around me (they isolated me for not being good in sports and such) when I was a kid so I had time to think and that made me different in this position where I am now.
I probably think more logically then people around me so when I do something that doesn't fit with their perspective (for example not care about my look but that's just an example) they tend to hate me and pick on me.

I never understood why people are so fast on judging other people, I usually view it from the probability side.

Anyway, what do you guys think why do people tend to pick on people like me?

Society is judgmental in general, and if anyone (not just you) deviates from being 'normal' you tend to get singled out. Also being in an immature environment doesn't help.

9006 said:
Society is judgmental in general, and if anyone (not just you) deviates from being 'normal' you tend to get singled out. Also being in an immature environment doesn't help.

No it's fine if I get isolated, but getting constantly picked on, that's the problem

Don't let other people step on you. Act aggressively when threatened or provoked. Showing them not to mess with you is the best solution, because in that case, people won't pick on you so easily.

ChocolateMountain said:
Don't let other people step on you. Act aggressively when threatened or provoked. Showing them not to mess with you is the best solution, because in that case, people won't pick on you so easily.

How do you mean by "aggressively"?

I think it really depends on what specific reason you are being picked on.. For example, you mentioned about appearance. Do you wear normal clothes that do not match or do you wear unacceptable clothes?

Many other things are the same, there is a part that doesn't matter. Then there is a part that is unacceptable. So unless we know exactly where you are.. it's impossible to answer that question.

Well, if you're getting bullied than, IMO, kick the sh*t outta them. Nothing gives any more satisfaction than revenge, OP, I've been in your place. And I've never stood up for myself & still regretting it to this day.

ChocolateMountain said:
Well, if you're getting bullied than, IMO, kick the sh*t outta them. Nothing gives any more satisfaction than revenge, OP, I've been in your place. And I've never stood up for myself & still regretting it to this day.

How do you know it gives you satisfaction if you've never done it? Just curious...

Camper said:
Hello,

Long story short:
I had constant isolation from the people around me (they isolated me for not being good in sports and such) when I was a kid so I had time to think and that made me different in this position where I am now.
I probably think more logically then people around me so when I do something that doesn't fit with their perspective (for example not care about my look but that's just an example) they tend to hate me and pick on me.

I never understood why people are so fast on judging other people, I usually view it from the probability side.

You said "when I was a kid" so im assuming you are not a kid now, right?
First, If you think more logically than the rest, then why dont you care about your look? second, unless you are still a kid (therefore, still surrounded by kids) I seriously doubt "people" will hate you for not caring about your look.
I dont know what do you mean with people like you. But some kids like to pick on anyone they can, and its more likely they will pick on you if you have visible physical differences from the norm, for example, being too fat, being from another race etc.
I also think you are generalizing "people tend to pick on people like me". Think about how many clasmates do you have and how many of them pick on you, I mean only the ones that pick on you, not anyone that laughs.

Smile, interact, conform, be fun and confident. That is the best way to stop people from picking on you. I'm sure you've heard this before, but anyway I repeat it here because it works.

Of course I understand you're not like this naturally, but as they say fake it till you make it, society wants you to smile and join in!

ChocolateMountain said:

Good advice, meeting aggression with aggression, contempt with contempt is usually the only way to get the respect of people like that.

As to why... society and by extension a lot of people hate the low sexual value beta male.

Camper said:

I think it's because they desesperately need someone to compare their miserable self to. USUALLY, these who pick on others have shitty confidence or self esteme and having a scapegoat around helps them feel better about themselves. pathetic.

picking on others is undecent and wrong. And the fact that you dont do the same, makes you a better person than they are.

thanks for the answers, I'll be honest now, there are some things that I said that aren't true because I'm not going really going to reveal a lot about me.
I just wanted to know how "loners" think.
It's true that I have been picked on but I found the solution years ago

ChocolateMountain said:

Won't you be stooping to their level, becoming just like them when you take revenge - irregardless of what form it is. I don't have a good solution to being bullied but I just don't see how treating others negatively would help. I'm sure there is another way besides revenge. They will likely get their retribution.. in one way or another eventually.

Batman55 said:
Smile, interact, conform, be fun and confident. That is the best way to stop people from picking on you. I'm sure you've heard this before, but anyway I repeat it here because it works.

Of course I understand you're not like this naturally, but as they say fake it till you make it, society wants you to smile and join in!

Well, sometimes even confident people get picked on. They just probably have a better way at dealing or not caring what others think of them. I work with young teenagers.. and often times I see some of the confident ones are usually on their own.. sometimes I wonder if they feel lonely or they really prefer to be alone. Or is it because other kids make fun of them because they show confidence.

Logical thinking gets me to.

People don't like people who are different.
People are all different.
People like some people but not others.
Naturally :D

People always stay away from people who are different. It's something they simply don't understand or wish to understand. Different scares them and they wish to stay away from it. Not sure why this is but it's how most of the society is. And trust me you're not alone in feeling like this. There's a lot of people out in this world who feel different from others. Feel that way too and I've been picked on a lot in the past for being different. It's a sad world we live in sometimes, but it doesn't stop me from being who I am. And don't let it stop you either. People who generally care for you, will stick around through the thick and thin.

Camper said:
thanks for the answers, I'll be honest now, there are some things that I said that aren't true because I'm not going really going to reveal a lot about me.

Something about your posts seems off. You'll have a better experience on this forum if you're candid about yourself.

-Teresa

Camper said:

Sounds like this should have been in the "Up for debate" section.

Regumika said:
Camper said:

Sounds like this should have been in the "Up for debate" section.
you're right
Sorry everyone

Latest posts

Back