Do guys gravitate towards the prettiest girl in a group?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edamame721

Reaction score
This just happened to me yesterday, but I was chatting with friends and strangers in a group and found that most of the guys directed their talk towards the prettiest girl in the group. I don't know if this is a subconscious thing, but I've seen this happening since my teens, so I'd like your thoughts on this.

Purely depends on the person and it happens regardless of gender. Personally i value character more, but a physical attraction is definetly needed.

Simple answer is yes. Humans are visual people, and will always prefer to talk to the prettiest person they can. This is of course initially, with nothing else to base it on. After you can discern personality and interests, this usually changes.

edamame721 said:
This just happened to me yesterday, but I was chatting with friends and strangers in a group and found that most of the guys directed their talk towards the prettiest girl in the group. I don't know if this is a subconscious thing, but I've seen this happening since my teens, so I'd like your thoughts on this.

yes, it happens all the time, I've seen it

Yeap, most of the time, not always though. There are the odd times that obviously doesn't happen with a certain guy. But it's rare, I'd say.. in my experience at least.

A lot of it depends on age too, usually younger people (not just guys because women do this too) will gravitate towards the "prettiest" one because they want to be seen "hooking up" with them. It really comes down to ego. I've had plenty of girls pass me over because I wasn't the jock type. I was short, skinny, and rather read a comic book than play a sport. So lets not just center this on the male gender.

Speaking generally, both genders are terrible for this and I think a lot of people do it subconsciously. In the end it really does depend on the person though. I treat everyone as an equal if I don't know them and never ever gravitate towards someone because they are pretty, it is all about personality and mannerism for me.

Maybe I am unusual in this way but I actually find that mannerism is the physical aspect of someone that attracts me. Mannerism is pretty much an extension of personality though which is usually unconditionally honest. In other words it depends how they present themselves, facial expression and the mannerisms they have when doing things or when conversing with people, not actually the shape of body or facial features.

Sci-Fi said:
A lot of it depends on age too, usually younger people (not just guys because women do this too) will gravitate towards the "prettiest" one because they want to be seen "hooking up" with them. It really comes down to ego. I've had plenty of girls pass me over because I wasn't the jock type. I was short, skinny, and rather read a comic book than play a sport. So lets not just center this on the male gender.

I didn't mean to say this only applied to males -- it was just apparent in the gathering I was at and yes, I looked at it from my perspective as a woman.

As for being young...I'm sure everyone was close to or in their 30s.

I think prettiest or best looking is a bit unfair because don't we all have different physical preferences? Maybe it's just the people I surround myself around but I know we all prefer different physical attributes within my close group of girlfriends.

In a word, yes. I don't think people are seen as shallow any more for liking things for the way they look. It's just accepted. At least with the younger generations it is.

Gutted said:
In a word, yes. I don't think people are seen as shallow any more for liking things for the way they look. It's just accepted. At least with the younger generations it is.

Its always been true, for aslong as people have been around

Batman55 said:
I've seen guys gravitate toward girls wearing Ugg boots...

If that particular person think Ugg boots are pretty...

As most people have said.. pretty much everyone gravitate towards the most "prettiest" but that term is subjective. What I think is the prettiest and gravitates toward may not be the same person that someone else will gravitate towards. First impression is a huge thing though, whether they fancy the face, hair, eyes, clothes, shoes, hygiene, or even just personality. Just remember that it's all subjective.

Offtopic here - Be the prettiest in the way that whoever you think is pretty would find you pretty. Example, if you are an "A" person and thinks "B" people are pretty, but "B" people thinks "C" people are pretty. Either you become C or give up on B and go find "D" people, because D people thinks A is pretty.

Usually yeah but mainly because prettier girls have more confidence in themsleves and or dont have self esteem issues. or are more femanine or more comfortable with themselves or body.

Realist said:
Usually yeah but mainly because prettier girls have more confidence in themsleves and or dont have self esteem issues. or are more femanine or more comfortable with themselves or body.

Have you met many prettier girls?

In my experience, they're perhaps more obsessed with image or have lower self esteem than less pretty women.

Badjedidude said:
Realist said:

In my experience, they're perhaps more obsessed with image or have lower self esteem than less pretty women.

That is certainly the way I see it too BJD. I have known a girl who is incredibly good looking, very beautiful and anyone would say so but she is the most insecure person I have ever met and has very low self esteem. Also know someone who is very good looking naturally but she totally covers her face with makeup all the time so her face is like a blinding white with bright red lipstick and really tries to dress to impress for some reason... Whether that is because of an obsession with image or insecurity... maybe even both... I don't know.

I normally try to avoid the most attractive females. I can't talk around them. I get depressed around them. I feel invisible around them. I find that if I can completely avoid attractive women, my days go much better.

I've read some replies here and some people say "pretty" is subjective. I agree but at the same time I think you have to acknowledge there are standard ideals. The whole beauty industry is geared toward making women feel insecure so they will buy their products.

If you think people gravitate only towards who they think is individually attractive, cool. But if a group of people singles out one person then I don't think that's all there is to it.

ShybutHi said:
Badjedidude said:
Realist said:

That is certainly the way I see it too BJD. I have known a girl who is incredibly good looking, very beautiful and anyone would say so but she is the most insecure person I have ever met and has very low self esteem. Also know someone who is very good looking naturally but she totally covers her face with makeup all the time so her face is like a blinding white with bright red lipstick and really tries to dress to impress for some reason... Whether that is because of an obsession with image or insecurity... maybe even both... I don't know.

I have always known this but just recently put the two together. The same person will look better if they are in a relationship than when they are single. I wouldn't say the only reasons they "try to impress" are the ones you listed. Confident people also dress well (see previous point about people in relationships). Perhaps that's what they themselves think is pretty and attractive. It doesn't always have to be insecurity or obsession.

edamame721 said:
I've read some replies here and some people say "pretty" is subjective. I agree but at the same time I think you have to acknowledge there are standard ideals. The whole beauty industry is geared toward making women feel insecure so they will buy their products.

If you think people gravitate only towards who they think is individually attractive, cool. But if a group of people singles out one person then I don't think that's all there is to it.

You're right, I do agree that there is a 'social standard'. The beauty industry is not completely accurate, but not completely false either. I mean, have you seen what makeup can do? They can cover up scars, cover up blemishes, make everything look smooth, and provides definition not capable by nature. There are right reasons for "dressing pretty" and wrong reasons for it. Often people lump the "dressing pretty" into one group, which is inaccurate.

Back to the social standard. No one like acne face, or scarface, untrimmed beards, unhealthy hair, dirty clothes, etc. Yes there are things that are accepted and not accepted but also remember that it's a trend that you must be careful not to fall into. Insecurity was mentioned, some look good because of it, others don't try because of it. Either way you must realize for yourself that you just have to be confident regardless what hand you're dealt. My ears are uneven. My eyes are uneven. My face is rough. The size of my head isn't all that proportional with my body. Perhaps you might have features that you might not like, but if all you do is be insecure about it, that's even less attractive. People can sense insecurity. They can also sense confidence.

Latest posts

Back