How many people are chronic comparers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostatsea

Reaction score
One of the biggest things in my life, is comparing myself to others. Family, friends, strangers, it doesn't matter. Seeing friends, pass on by in life. Seeing what others have done by the time they were this age, or what they have that I don't.

But it causes a giant snowball effect of regret and disappointment. Rather than trying to catch up, I just sulk and fall even farther behind.

I used to do it before I decided that I doubt if I'll ever get into another relationship, but I don't do it now. I try to look my best when I go out, and if people that look at me, don't like what they see, they can just look away. What I used to do is compare myself to other women and think if I had her shape or if I had her hair, just examples--would more men be interested in me? That was after my husband passed away and there was no hope of getting him back. Now about 9 years later, I don't know if I could be that close to someone again and I have the mental health issues that make me think there is no sense in even looking. Even if I could love someone else, I wouldn't want to burden him with my issues.

This is one of the things that I hate about me! I take it to the extreme. The way others hold their pencils, write their names, position objects, hold objects, type, and all other actions, assure me that they are doing everything better than me and that I will never reach up to their "perfectness".Ughhhhh:club:

I do it occasionally, though probably less than I used to. I stopped caring as much as I started to embrace my introversion in some ways. I still do it sometimes though.

I am someone who engages in that type of behavior. Unfortunately, I used to always react to comparing myself unfavorably to someone by making myself disappear from situations where these types of questions would arise. I would like to use someone"s superior intellect, physical prowess etc..as motivation instead.

Latest posts

Back