What music should I listen to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
I'm a guy in high school and I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't know what music to listen to :(. What music should a guy my age be listening to? I usually just listen to whatever is on the radio. I'm pretty tolerant and don't care to be honest. I have no songs on my ipod and no specific genres or artists i'm interested in!

Is this weird? It seems like a lot of "cool" kids my age these days listen to rap. This annoys me so much. What is so special about rap??? Just because you listen to some guys singing about drugs you're instantly cool? I don't understand that.

I wouldn't be bothered about what everyone else is listening to, who cares? What kind of music do YOU like? If you're not really into any specific music genre/band/singer, that's fine - shows you have a really open mind when it comes to music! Far better than following along with the crowd and listening to music that you may (or may not) like just because everyone else is into it. Take it from a 40-something year old (and this is a lesson I wish I'd learned back when I was your age!) - don't be a follower!! Be yourself, don't be worried about everyone else and what they're doing, and you'll find yourself a much happier person. :)

This question is completely wrong. Stop trying to mimic others. Listen to whatever style you like instead of what you think you're supposed to like. Living like that is pretty much taking other people's views and making them your own. If you want a place to start, go to billboard.com and check out the top artists to see if you like anyone mainstream. Then you can go on pandora and find similar artists.

Totally endorse the idea that there is no 'should' in listening to music. Try lots, pick what YOU like as a soundtrack to your life. Also, just as there is no music you should listen to, there is no 'should' in listening at all! Maybe if you haven't chosen 'your' kind of music it's because you just aren't into music! It isn't obligatory - not everyone at your or any age has to have music in their ears at every minute of the day and night.

if you listen to 'weird' music you will have less friends, but those you will find will be for a long time :D
Spotify is your friend, in this situation

Just start finding things you like and go from there looking for similar things. I never listen to the radio as most of my favorite stuff does not get played. I'm not really into that much of the mainstream/poppy stuff(****...now I sound like a hispter, lol).

For me, like the stories of most of my favorite movies and video games, I need music that makes me feel something or that has some kind of message. Whether it's because I think the lyrics have an awesome message or if it's because it's atmospheric and evokes some sort of emotional feeling from me. Obviously not exclusively, but for the most part that's just how I am.

Hardcore heavy thrash metal at full volume for a laugh.

Latest posts

Back