I use to have friends.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuromai

Reaction score
Friends, it's something that is getting to me I guess. Before leaving for college I use to have some, but then when I started to get serious with my work and doing my own thing, I no longer have them.

Even at school, I don't have any. With the couple thousands students, I can't find anyone who is like me, who is similar. Friendships form out of like mindedness, but what happens when you never fit in no matter what?

Do you want to fit in?

It's has been on my mind for awhile, it's a perspective thus open to interpretation. When you have a dream, a goal and people just don't understand, they don't believe in you, they can't see you becoming something of yourself, why is the path so isolated even though time was invested in people that were fun.

Not to sure if what I'm trying to convey can be followed, but it just lurking behind me like a shadow. When you give up so much for a pursuit, was giving up everything even worth it?

I've had loads of friends from all walks of life. I just didn't form a meaningful bond with them. I blame my brain. I was always odd.

albie said:
I've had loads of friends from all walks of life. I just didn't form a meaningful bond with them. I blame my brain. I was always odd.

I totally relate to this. Honestly. I have a lot of friends, but most of them I don't really connect well with. The few friends I actually do connect well with were those I made from this forum. Funny.

I agree with the two comments above. Usually I don't have too much problem talking to people and stuff, but having that serious connection is difficult.

I had friends through school and college. I spent a lot of time with them and from the outside I guess I could have even been seen as one of the cool kids.

Looking back, it was clear there was distance between me and the group of friends I had and as soon as school was over, we grew apart.

I used to think this was down to how career focussed and ambitious I was, but now understand that being an introvert/HS person, just makes me different, and limits the number of people I can truly relate to.

Its a probability game, and the odds of me meeting someone who I connect with are always slim..

It gets to me too.
I think weeks can go by when the only person that i talk to is at a store when i am buying something, when i was at school i had a few friends but slowly disappeared after i left school at 16 we all went are separate ways with me working for a future, a lot of them fell into drugs/drink/crime so as i don't really want a part in that so been friendless for around 14 years now.

Have not really had the chance to make new friends as i don't go out much and there is not a lot to do around here and not currently working, its kinda sad that i look forward to chatting to the lady in the job-center as it feels like someone cares same with doing my weekly shop.

I think on here most of the people i used to talk to are not here anymore and/or due to me not staying up late i never see anyone online or they just don't want to talk to me anymore.

I have been trying to make friends but i think a lot of the time i just cant seem to make it work, but i will keep trying.

I'm almost 28 and still find it hard to fit in anywhere. I recently stopped talking to some friends from college because I found out they were excluding me from social events, which I would usually be invited too. I blame myself, because lately I have stopped being the push over I used to be and started speaking my mind. I guess they didn't like it :(

neuromai said:
Friendships form out of like mindedness, but what happens when you never fit in no matter what?
Do what my Drill Sergeants told us Privates to do in Basic: Carry on.

neuromai said:
Do you want to fit in?
Here we go with this AGAIN. Check it out: Like a lover that no longer wants you or guys fighting over a girl, if you have to do the most just to turn some heads or to be validated by someone, you don't want (or need) them around you to begin with.

I thought about that fitting-in rubbish, then I turned 8. The thing is, most personalities can mesh well and establish a friendship, but then there are other types that are excluded from everything. Why should you have to conform to their fancies? What are they doing for the world? Everyone has an aspect or side they can work on -- develop themselves, sure, but is reinventing yourself for superficial "friends" worth it?

If you don't fit, what do you do? You make your OWN circle, and keep those who excluded you out of it.

It's all very interesting, there is something in the mainstream I can across that is rather funny, well the way it was presented was humorous. It touches on being social is part of our nature, but the attempt to be social creates social anxiety, looks like one can't win, but still subjective to opinion.

This is looking at the general point, why are some people accepted and others not?

*I would like put out there I ask alot of question because I'm curious, I could simply go out and ask question from others at my school, but I need to hear different thought from there who are more interesting to me, like the community here =).

It also necessary to say that many, many people have the same background, the same ideas, same tastes, so it is much much easier to find others alike. If one had different education, experiences, or a non-dominant kind of temper like introverts or hypersensitive people do, one sticks out like a sore thumb.

Latest posts

Back