people picking on somebody

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
There was this woman selling charity scratch cards at our shop today. A very good cause, disabled children. She obviously loves her job. She said 'good morning, have you had a nice day ?' to every customer. She was incredibly enthusiastic, very upbeat, friendly, trying to sell her scratch cards and get donations for those kids.

I admit she was very OTT and because we were in the shop all day, we would hear her speech to the customers over and over again and it did become annoying after a while but all the staff seemed to hate her. Behind her back of course. They made fun of her, mimicking her voice and what she said to the customers. They laughed at her, swore about her, one woman said she acted like did because she was a 'virgin' ?, it was non stop and quite horrible.

When I was on the till, I got talking to her. She was on commission only, had come from another city and this was her first job. Some customers were nice but some were very rude yet it didn't stop her enthusiasm. Some wouldn't even answer her greetings, while some would find any excuse to walk away once she started talking.

Anyway at the end of my shift, everybody was in the back laughing at her and I said I felt sorry for her so I was going to buy one of her scratch cards. People asked me why so I said she had a great attitude and it wasn't an easy job to do and most of the customers had been horrible. What I didn't say was I hate it when people get picked on. I hate people picking on the weakest link. She probably is a lovely person but because she is different to everybody else she get laughed at or ignored. (The manager never spoke to her all day !)

So I bought a scratch card from her. It was £10 and gave her a hug and said 'take care'

Just thought I would share this. I do feel sorry for the underdog, the odd one out. People are cruel sometimes.

Good for you, Triple Bogey. I think that was a nice thing to do. Had it been me, idk if I would have bought something because I am short on change myself, but if I had the money to spare I would perhaps have bought one. And I would have told those mocking co-workers to shut their face...not everyone has a glamorous job, someone has to do that job and sometimes these thankless, low-level jobs are the hardest of all, because like you said, most customers and employees were mean to her, and I'm guessing she wasn't working for a high wage anyway. The fact that she kept a good attitude through that is more than I could say for myself. Kudos to her and to you also.

This made me want to reach out and give you the biggest virtual hug ever! :D :)

Your kind heart just shines out with your words, good for you for speaking up for this lady.

Some people are just completely thoughtless jerks. They need this: :club:

+1

I appreciate what you did TB and how you interpreted the whole situation. As for people picking on somebody, they disgust me, such hypocrits. I bet they never walked a mile in the shoes of that lady. As if it weren`t bad enough that few people engage in charity work or such jobs like this lady, they have to withstand the mockery of others. What a saddening reality. :(
If only there were more compassionate people like you. Hug.

TheSkaFish said:
Good for you, Triple Bogey. I think that was a nice thing to do. Had it been me, idk if I would have bought something because I am short on change myself, but if I had the money to spare I would perhaps have bought one. And I would have told those mocking co-workers to shut their face...not everyone has a glamorous job, someone has to do that job and sometimes these thankless, low-level jobs are the hardest of all, because like you said, most customers and employees were mean to her, and I'm guessing she wasn't working for a high wage anyway. The fact that she kept a good attitude through that is more than I could say for myself. Kudos to her and to you also.

Thanks. I had £10 in my wallet which is unusual. I normally have just a few quid in change. I can spare it and it's a great cause. I didn't mind one bit when I didn't win on the scratch card.

zero said:
+1

I appreciate what you did TB and how you interpreted the whole situation. As for people picking on somebody, they disgust me, such hypocrits. I bet they never walked a mile in the shoes of that lady. As if it weren`t bad enough that few people engage in charity work or such jobs like this lady, they have to withstand the mockery of others. What a saddening reality. :(
If only there were more compassionate people like you. Hug.

Thanks zero and Ringwood !

I was glad some customers were nice to her and bought her cards. I dread to think what her commission is. She said she was saving for her tuition fees for college. I told her to apply for some customer service jobs because she's obviously very good at talking to people. She was young as well.

I don't know why people had such a problem with her. She was very upbeat and friendly but that's a lot better than been miserable.

Well done you and virtual hug.

You are right people are cruel and vicious these days.Nobody gives the underdog a chance.

Good on her for being out there trying to sell scratchcatds for a charity.
I bet the people and customers who taunted her would be grateful to her if they ever needed the charity she was supporting.

Tulip23 said:
Well done you and virtual hug.

You are right people are cruel and vicious these days.Nobody gives the underdog a chance.

Good on her for being out there trying to sell scratchcatds for a charity.
I bet the people and customers who taunted her would be grateful to her if they ever needed the charity she was supporting.

Thanks.

She just had a different personality to most people. But I don't see what's wrong with somebody been very happy all the time. (She laughed to herself when she saw dogs or little kids go by) - Surely that is better than miserable ? Somebody suggested she was 'simple' - she was a big girl and coloured. I am not sure if that had anything to do with it ?

One of the staff told me this girl had come into the canteen on her first day (which was Monday) and started talking to people and they didn't even talk to her, just ignored her. I am not surprized by that because half the time I say 'hello' to staff I don't get a reply. People are just rude and grumpy.

Good on you triple bogey. Everyone is judgmental to some extent. Not all are empathetic like you however.

What's more amazing (no offense) is the woman. Takes a lot to maintain her frame and not be affected. There are those who are purely positive about things, and those who put in a face but hurt at the end of the day when reflecting. Hope she's the former.

People who take the piss are probably the ones who most envy what she's doing since none of them could possibly emulate the sales performance if they were in her position.

That was really nice of you, both to defend her to your co workers and to buy a scratch card from her. It takes courage to stand up for the underdog and I am sending you a pat on the back.

Compassion. When its real, as I sense it was with you, is so awesome, sooo refreshing and encouraging to see. I am so done with the 'bad ass' attitudes people think are cool. "I'm so cool because I'm a jerk". Kudos to you !! I hope your actions made an impression on some of your co workers.

Thanks everybody !

Just an update - the Area Manager sent an email saying she couldn't sell her cards in the shop anymore because we support a different charity. So I suppose she went somewhere else.

A lot of times she started talking to customers and they blanked her or muttered something not very nice. I could see the hurt on her face but after a few seconds she regained her composure and started again. A member of staff said to me this morning 'I hope that lass isn't going to be here. She did my head in !' - I told her that it was her first job and it was commission only so she probably only gets about £10 a day or something. Plus the fact she lives in another city. The member of staff shut up after that.

I hope she gets a better job. I am glad I bought my card when I did.

That was very nice of you to do, and disgusting of your coworkers. I hope after some of them felt bad about what they were doing.

Triple Bogey wrote
Thanks.

She just had a different personality to most people. But I don't see what's wrong with somebody been very happy all the time. (She laughed to herself when she saw dogs or little kids go by) - Surely that is better than miserable ? Somebody suggested she was 'simple' - she was a big girl and coloured. I am not sure if that had anything to do with it ?

One of the staff told me this girl had come into the canteen on her first day (which was Monday) and started talking to people and they didn't even talk to her, just ignored her. I am not surprized by that because half the time I say 'hello' to staff I don't get a reply. People are just rude and grumpy.
[/quote]
Tulip23 replied
I have no idea how you manage to work beside such small minded people.
How ignorant of them to totally ignore her. Shame on them.
What does it matter how you are, people should show respect to one another.
We live in a very cruel society these days and it is getting worse and worse.
Good on you for being kind and caring. The world needs more people like you.

Tulip23 said:
Triple Bogey wrote
Thanks.

Tulip23 replied
I have no idea how you manage to work beside such small minded people.
How ignorant of them to totally ignore her. Shame on them.
What does it matter how you are, people should show respect to one another.
We live in a very cruel society these days and it is getting worse and worse.
Good on you for being kind and caring. The world needs more people like you.
[/quote]

Thanks.

The customers keep me going. Some of the staff are awful to work with. Friday morning, I get in first so I have to let everybody in. I say 'morning' and they don't reply just look at me like I am a pile of dog honeysuckle or something. So the next time I don't say 'hello' and they say 'morning' in a grumpy way to suggest I am the ignorant one. I can't win. It happens all the time.

Grackle said:
I am so done with the 'bad ass' attitudes people think are cool. "I'm so cool because I'm a jerk".

I agree. I hate that mindset too. It was common when I was a kid with my classmates and unfortunately it still prevails. What grinds my gears even more than the attitude itself is that people are still very much impressed by the "bad ass/I'm cool because I'm a jerk" routine. Life will take two people, one of them friendly and fun-loving and just out to have a good time, and the other a jerk who really lays on this tired cliche, and life still rewards the jerk. No one can put him in his place because life just gives him whatever he wants for free. I hate it.

Latest posts

Back