Forum for the 40+ crowd?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyYogi

Reaction score
I love all forum members posts but it would be really great to have forums with more similar ages. That is because we tend to relate more easily to those of similar age...ages and stages.

Perhaps forums for each decade? For each decade has it's own challenges.

HappyYogi said:
I love all forum members posts but it would be really great to have forums with more similar ages. That is because we tend to relate more easily to those of similar age...ages and stages.

I would agree with that.I am over 50 and have my own challenges.
I have been working my way through the various forum sections and trying to find where I best fit in.
I enjoy reading the postings and learn other peoples stories.

I can't see how that would really make a difference as you'd probably get posters posting in each age category anyway, it would be difficult to enforce by moderation as not all members show their age or like it to be known. Perhaps you could make a thread for 40+ or whatever and see how that plays out?

9006 wrote: I can't see how that would really make a difference as you'd probably get posters posting in each age category anyway, it would be difficult to enforce by moderation as not all members show their age or like it to be known. Perhaps you could make a thread for 40+ or whatever and see how that plays out?

That seems like the best way forward to me. I will be 57 soon and don't really worry about the age of the younger posters - but a thread for us oldies might make a nice change of pace?:)

wrong.
the difference between people has little to do with age, and more to do with your own mentality.
i'm 46, but right now my dearest friend online that I chat to daily almost half my age!
I've met quite a few peple from other parts of the world in different cultures and wide range of ages, and we aren't all that different as you may think.
if you want to sit around saying: remember when...?
then you may want someone your own age. but don't fool yourself into thinking that you cannot relate to, or have much to talk about with people half your age.
it all depends on who they are inside, not how old.

well, maybe it's not worthwhile to reminisce old sitcoms, I agree, but for some things, such as dating and making friends, the issues of a 40, 50+ are not the same as a 20 years old, and even if you can have much to talk with a lot of people of old ages, if you want to learn something from similar experiences then it makes sense to look for others of similar age or older.

The thing is I don't feel my age anyway, sometimes with a younger person showing me something I feel like they are the adult :p

I've been on a site that had this, those sections were like graveyards. There was little to no posting in them, then there were people who "felt" they were older who would post there. Age restrictions were tired but people could just change their birthdate to access them, and some didn't want to list theirs just to access a mostly quiet section.

Edward W said:
The thing is I don't feel my age anyway, sometimes with a younger person showing me something I feel like they are the adult :p

actually that happened to me as well :D

9006 said:
I can't see how that would really make a difference as you'd probably get posters posting in each age category anyway...

That is what happened, when i have seen it tried. In general they didn't get much use but what use they did get was not by age. The thread could be a good idea.

Thread = Good idea.
Sub-forum = Bad idea.

There's barely enough people here at times to keep the normal chat areas moving and I don't see why we need to segregate ourselves from each other - especially on a forum dedicated to loneliness.

A thread to meet people of a similar age doesn't seem like a bad idea though...

Edward W said:

Like your daughter? :p

HappyYogi said:

It would be nice to weed out the under 25 crowd.

Cavey said:
...I don't see why we need to segregate ourselves from each other - especially on a forum dedicated to loneliness.

That is a pretty good point.

While I have no objections to a thread being created, I must disagree on the notion of "weeding people out."
I've some of the best conversation here with younger people. Older people as well, of course, but the young people here have a lot to say and a lot to teach in some cases. While I'd certainly visit a thread dedicated to older people, young people would probably also visit that thread as well. Some young people actually LIKE to read what us older folks have to say, lol. :p

The thread idea is a good one. Realize that while a place for middle-aged folk to be by themselves might be a good idea, age restrictions aren't necessarily hard & fast rules. I'm not yet 40 myself, but due to my second-rate body & my being a history buff, I act like I'm in my late 50's or older!

Latest posts

Back