Do you think experiencing too much loneliness is bad for your health

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If laughing adds years to your life and smiling is good for the heart ( so they say ) then ya, loneliness can be unhealthy but I think smoking and drinking and numerous other things are far worse.

definitely, unfortunately they made a lot of studies that prove that (Cacioppo on loneliness) but still divorced people have it worse that happily single.

Yes, as Peaches says, research has shown that loneliness can lead to an earlier death.

This is unquestionably true. There is no benefit toward experiencing extended lengths of loneliness. It will only make you sad. Stay sad long enough and you'll end up being depressed. Be depressed long enough and the pathways of your brain start changing, and your entire outlook and experiences in life are negatively affected.

I think it's more about happiness than specifically loneliness. I'd say it probably sort of depends on how comfortable someone becomes with it, how much they accept it.

Grackle said:
If laughing adds years to your life and smiling is good for the heart ( so they say ) then ya, loneliness can be unhealthy but I think smoking and drinking and numerous other things are far worse.

We sure know how to pick our vices!

Definitely bad for your health, in particular your mental health.

I think that loneliness can definitely impact on someone's will to live.

So potentially it could indirectly contribute to someone's early death.

Married men live significantly longer than bachelors. The difference isn't as big for married/unmarried women. Also unmarried women are the highest percentage of people that live to be over 100 for some reason.

kamya said:
Married men live significantly longer than bachelors. The difference isn't as big for married/unmarried women. Also unmarried women are the highest percentage of people that live to be over 100 for some reason.

this made my day, thanks :D

dresta2000 said:
And lead to early death
any emotional problems, can also draw a person to seek god.
there can, be a good side to lonelyness.

Peaches said:
kamya said:

They live longer because they dont have to put up wth men. Lol
s

ventura23 said:
dresta2000 said:
And lead to early death
any emotional problems, can also draw a person to seek god.
there can, be a good side to lonelyness.

Peaches said:
kamya said:

They live longer because they dont have to put up wth men. Lol
s

No, it's because women rely on each other for emotional support so they can handle it better than men. Men don't rely on each other for emotional support, they're supposed to suppress their emotions and not admit to any weakness. Women can suffer from loneliness too. I am suffering from it and hope it is a temporary and not a lifelong condition. I'm looking for a solution but it's like a difficult puzzle to solve.

kamya said:

There's no distinction made between never-married men and those who've gone through divorce, which will obviously have an impact on well-being. Women don't suffer to the same degree because the majority of divorces are initiated by them.

ardour said:
kamya said:

There's no distinction made between never-married men and those who have gone through divorce, which obviously has an impact on well-being. Women don't suffer to the same degree because the majority of divorces are initiated by them.

Break ups can be painful even for the ones who initiate them. There are so many things to consider such as the individual reasons behind the break up. It's not as if we're cold, unfeeling people unaffected by these life changing decisions. Sometimes the consequence of breaking up with someone is years of loneliness as punishment for breaking someone's heart even if ending the relationship is the right decision for the person doing the breaking up. There are consequences for our actions. Still, never stay in a dead relationship that has clearly run its course and isn't healthy. That is probably worse than being alone.

Latest posts

Back