12 insanely bad pieces of sex and relationship advice

• Thread starter WildernessWildChild
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WildernessWildChild

12 insanely bad pieces of sex and relationship advice

Many lifestyle websites, talk shows, podcasts, and parenting puff pieces aim to give readers and viewers the best relationship advice. But many of the common adages debated and discussed in popular threads these days actually provide questionable advice. Below we explore the dubious claims of frequent and familiar relationship maxims.

1. Stay together for the kids. (Today, and lots of divorce blogs)

Or rather, don’t. Because two miserable parents together doesn’t make for a sane and happy home life. In fact, it’s the opposite. As the offspring of divorced parents, I can tell you there are far worse things in life than having to celebrate two Christmases.

2. Love happens when you stop looking for it. (Elite Daily)

On one level, this makes sense—and indeed, we think love happens when you “stop bitching and get a life,” that is, cultivate your own interests and hobbies, stop fixating on any one outcome and believing a relationship will solve all your problems. ‘Cause, it won’t. But you know, it helps if you like, go on a date every once in a while. Does this count as “looking”? We think so.

3. Once you’ve hit a certain age, you have to lower your expectations. (The “Mr. Good Enough” phenomenon)

I guess if you’re 90 and still waiting for Antonio Banderas to show up at your Silver Sneakers gentle aerobinautics class and carry you off into the sunset since you can no longer walk unassisted, then OK, maybe it’s time to lower the bar. But people aren’t like 1997 Honda Accords: they don’t depreciate with time. Neither should our standards for prospective partners. Recuerdame, Antonio!

4. Pretend you have a problem: you might meet some nice people at AA/Weight Watchers/Codependents Anonymous. (YourTango)

Why stop there? We hear the methodone clinic is really bangin’ this time of year. Also, who takes advice from a Chuck Palahnuik novel?

This is an extreme example, but a common refrain of certain advice sects tells women and men to pretend they like activities that they don’t to gauge a date’s interest, such as Fantasy Football or Tupperware parties. Don’t fake who you are or what you like, because you’ll either get caught or be forced to spend your life crying into airtight containers that lock in both freshness and regret.

5. Moving in together will solve all your problems! (TV;Oprah; our collective desire for a quick-fix and walk-in closet)

Who hasn’t looked at the person they’re cry-fighting with and thought, “Everything would be fine if only we could split the cable bill!”

Answer: No one. Moving in with a partner when you’re already having problems is only going to exacerbate those problems and give you less space in which to leave or throw things. We know you desperately want to co-own your boyfriend’s VHS copy of Kindergarten Cop, but trust us, it’s not worth it.

6. Having a baby will bring you closer together than ever before! (Parents)

Sure, babies will bring you closer… to murdering your baby due to sleep deprivation, never having a moment to yourself and the loss of both your sex life and social life. Babies are exhausting. If your relationship is anything other than SOLID, having one will only further strain your already strained existence. (Also, see “staying for the kids” and “moving in.”)

7. Once a cheater, always a cheater. (Psychology Today; common expression)

Like all common sayings, there is a certain degree of truth to this adage. Like all common sayings, however, it’s far too simplistic to describe actual people, nor is it an accurate predictor of whether someone will cheat on you. It’s easy to dismiss a past cheater as “bad” and write them off forever, but the potential to get hurt or hurt someone else is there in every relationship, and that doesn’t mean we should preemptively give up simply because we might get hurt down the line. I’m not saying you have to swish about your life blindly hoping that everything will work out OK—by all means, be cautious, keep your eyes open—but don’t let fear run the show.

“Fear is an *******,” as the adage I just made up goes.

8. “It is better to have a relationship with someone who cheats on you than with someone who does not flush the toilet.” (Uma Thurman,MSN Living)

Everyone knows those are the only two options that exist. Also, way harsh, Uma! We’ve never known anyone to flush a relationship down the toilet for not flushing a toilet.

9. If your partner does something you don’t like, try withholding sex. (Fox News)

It worked in Lysistrata, I guess. But you’re not trying to end the Peloponnesian War, you’re trying to get your boyfriend to take out the recycling more. Turning happy-naked-times into a bartering tool is manipulative and sad. We suggest you try talking to your partner instead. Radical!

10. Don’t be so shallow. (Girls Ask Guys)

As a general rule, En Vogue lyrics provide solid relationship advice, but when it comes to attraction, you are allowed to be shallow. It’s OK to be picky, within reason. Common wisdom dictates we should take a PC approach to dating and that not being attracted to everyone makes us horrible people. But it doesn’t.

It’s fine if you love beards or long legs or girls with short hair or men who wear jewelry. It’s your prerogative and it’s impossible to fake. That said, if you find your selectivity is inhibiting your life, then don’t be so shallow, meaning don’t toss perfectly cool people aside simply because they don’t have your desired specifications for Surprised Eyebrows.

11. Don’t sleep with him too soon. (Huffington Post; common abstinence speech)

As Jesus never said: Your vagina is like Velcro, the more you use it, the more it’ll become like Reeboks Comfort Deluxe walking shoes from Dillards, i.e., worthless.

Contrary to evangelical opinion, what you do with your vagina is not linked to your self-worth. If you want to sleep with him, then that’s the time to sleep with him, regardless of what slut-shamers try to tell you.

12. “12 insanely bad pieces of sex and relationship advice to find a diet that would kick me back into dating shape, because I know that I can’t date at size 8. I have to date at size 2. And it’s just a fact of nature. Go get your injections and your chemical peels. You gotta look good to attract a man.” (Patti Stanger, matchmaker for millionaires)

Once you’ve exhausted your supply of diet salad and giving yourself face cancer, don’t forget to bleach your vagina “the color of a Barbie dream house.”

Anna Pulley (@annapulley) writes about sex and social media for SF Weekly, AlterNet, After Ellen and the Chicago Tribune. She's also attempting to lead a haiku revival on her blog, annapulley. bad pieces of sex and relationship advice

Funny read. I had a friend who did 9 out of those 12.

BTW you might want to shorten that title, it creates an error when replying.

Sci-Fi said:

Done....and error is my middle name. Which 3 didn't your friend do?

WildernessWildChild said:
4. Pretend you have a problem: you might meet some nice people at AA/Weight Watchers/Codependents Anonymous.

Haha, grim reality is people do this... and that's NOT from experience!

I'll add funerals to that list.
The first time I went to a strangers funeral was by mistake, an honest mixup. Second time was a neighbour I never talked to but felt compelled to go. Then, a few times after that I just felt like being in that atmosphere of solemn quietness. If I wasn't so scared to talk to strangers it would have been a good opportunity to meet new people.

Sci-Fi said:

Done....and error is my middle name. Which 3 didn't your friend do?

3, 8, and 12

#6. Right on the money LOL

It's more depressing than anything -_- not because there is a baby mind you... But because some people forget to still let their spouse know they EXIST! (last time I got a compliment was... I don't know when... Before pregnancy?! Last cuddle time was... Beginning of pregnancy?!). Though at least my baby sleeps 4 hours on average ;)

I will also note #6 has a second view: "Babies make guys stay." some girls believe this, and in a desperate attempt to keep their relationship they purposely get pregnant. ;)

Senamian said:
#6. Right on the money LOL

It's more depressing than anything -_- not because there is a baby mind you... But because some people forget to still let their spouse know they EXIST! (last time I got a compliment was... I don't know when... Before pregnancy?! Last cuddle time was... Beginning of pregnancy?!). Though at least my baby sleeps 4 hours on average ;)

I will also note #6 has a second view: "Babies make guys stay." some girls believe this, and in a desperate attempt to keep their relationship they purposely get pregnant. ;)

Although it's not quite the same thing the wee ones love cuddling- whenever I'm 'home' The Kid likes snugga time with the ol' guy....the genuine need and appreciation the small ones have for the parent can be pretty damned fulfilling.

As far as existing, I know that being around to pay bills, take out the trash, and change the oil in the SUV ensures there's some acknowledgement of my existence....

9006 said:
4. Pretend you have a problem: you might meet some nice people at AA/Weight Watchers/Codependents Anonymous.

Haha, grim reality is people do this... and that's NOT from experience!

But if they're pretending they have a problem to meet people, they probably do, lol.

Grackle said:
I'll add funerals to that list.
The first time I went to a strangers funeral was by mistake, an honest mixup. Second time was a neighbour I never talked to but felt compelled to go. Then, a few times after that I just felt like being in that atmosphere of solemn quietness. If I wasn't so scared to talk to strangers it would have been a good opportunity to meet new people.

Holy honeysuckle...!!! I thought I was the only one who did this...!!! There was a movie called "Wedding Crashers"... Well, between few friends of mine, I was known as "Funeral Crasher" for a while... I mean, I didn't go to funerals to meet girls like the movie "wedding crasher" portrays, which would be sort of twisted & sick but hey... But I know the feeling about "being in that atmosphere of solemn quietness"... There is a long "behind the scene" story about me & funerals, which I don't feel like getting into at the moment, but I just thought it was a bit of a relief thinking that there's a possibility of someone out there that feels the same way as I do...

^ That's how the two main characters in the cult classic, "Harold and Maude" met...going to funerals just for the hell of it. Then a relationship formed between the two even though the age difference was almost 60 years apart. Good movie.

beautiful loser said:
^ That's how the two main characters in the cult classic, "Harold and Maude" met...going to funerals just for the hell of it. Then a relationship formed between the two even though the age difference was almost 60 years apart. Good movie.

Lol... I remember seeing a movie in high school in English class... Thought it was funniest movie, well for me, it was... How about that sex scene, eh?

Many lifestyle websites, talk shows, podcasts, and parenting puff pieces aim to give readers and viewers the best relationship advice. But many of the common adages debated and discussed in popular threads these days actually provide questionable advice. Below we explore the dubious claims of frequent and familiar relationship maxims.

In my opinion these lifestyle shows etc make up this stuff because in truth the very basis of their program has a rather limited amount of subject matter. So as the show keeps going they come up with dumber and dumber theories.

1. Stay together for the kids. (Today, and lots of divorce blogs)

Divorce doesn't have to be a living hell, neither does marriage. Like most things it is all how you handle it and how much of your own crap you inflict on the kids.

2. Love happens when you stop looking for it. (Elite Daily)

Kind of right, Love happens when you stop worrying about finding "The One" and you just relax and chat to people without sizing them up as life partners all the time.

3. Once you’ve hit a certain age, you have to lower your expectations. (The “Mr. Good Enough” phenomenon)

I think everyone should have realistic expectations, no one is perfect and neither are you.

4. Pretend you have a problem: you might meet some nice people at AA/Weight Watchers/Codependents Anonymous. (YourTango)

You might meet Helena Bonham Carter? Ok this one was straight up stoopid.

5. Moving in together will solve all your problems! (TV;Oprah; our collective desire for a quick-fix and walk-in closet)

And if that doesn't work, get married and have kids??

6. Having a baby will bring you closer together than ever before! (Parents)

Ummmm, no.

7. Once a cheater, always a cheater. (Psychology Today; common expression)

I have always disagreed with this cliche, just because they cheated on another partner it doesn't mean they will always do it. Especially if they cheated because they just weren't fulfilled.

8. “It is better to have a relationship with someone who cheats on you than with someone who does not flush the toilet.” (Uma Thurman,MSN Living)

Wow, just wow.

9. If your partner does something you don’t like, try withholding sex. (Fox News)

And hence why he went out and cheated on you.

10. Don’t be so shallow. (Girls Ask Guys)

Yeah but really, who is deep all the time? Am I meant to date the 5ft tall 200 pound girl because I shouldn't be shallow? It doesn't even come down to her weight alone, it's the fact that she can barely walk.

11. Don’t sleep with him too soon. (Huffington Post; common abstinence speech)

This one isn't too bad really, if sex is all you have in common than you probably don't have much in common. I get the theory behind this one but like anything moderation is key. I also think there is a lot to be said for anticipation.

12. “12 insanely bad pieces of sex and relationship advice to find a diet that would kick me back into dating shape, because I know that I can’t date at size 8. I have to date at size 2. And it’s just a fact of nature. Go get your injections and your chemical peels. You gotta look good to attract a man.” (Patti Stanger, matchmaker for millionaires)

Well, I like women who are of a normal to curvy shape, I love freckles, minimum to no make up, women who are natural bust wise and are just natural and down to Earth in general.

I usually cringe when I see these make over shows and they take really beautiful women and turn them into mannequins. Does nothing for me at all, I hate the Pam Anderson barbie doll look.

beautiful loser said:
LOL...Harold blowing bubbles while Maude was sleeping. The only time he seemed content, the miserable f***.

BUBBLES...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

point 9) is actually quite irritating. To blackmail man with sex is immoral. I don't know how about the others but I am certain I would not stay with such woman. Or did something that makes her change her attitude or leave, like lost of interest.

My War said:
Am I meant to date the 5ft tall 200 pound girl because I shouldn't be shallow? It doesn't even come down to her weight alone, it's the fact that she can barely walk.

I don't mean to nitpick, but this comment is a bit derogatory. There are probably women here on ALL who are 5 ft. tall and 200 lbs., and they can walk just fine. Maybe be a little more conscientious about these types of comments, please?

Solivagant said:
My War said:
Am I meant to date the 5ft tall 200 pound girl because I shouldn't be shallow? It doesn't even come down to her weight alone, it's the fact that she can barely walk.

I don't mean to nitpick, but this comment is a bit derogatory. There are probably women here on ALL who are 5 ft. tall and 200 lbs., and they can walk just fine. Maybe be a little more conscientious about these types of comments, please?

Just illustrating the point that we all have tastes, is a woman supposed to date a man who is much older than her rather than look judgemental? We all have tastes, we all have things we like and don't like, it's no big deal.

Latest posts

Back