People ignore me.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red914

Reaction score
It's really hit me recently. People just don't care enough about me. I think there are even people on this site who have started to ignore me.

I believe it might be because I don't reply enough to people who post in response to my own posts -- and I'm sorry for that. It's just that I experience very crippling depression, and I barely have enough energy to post in the first place. Just know that I appreciate all of you brave people. A lot.

I really don't know what to do at this point. You can imagine what Valentine's was like for me yesterday. I had friends ignore me, like I said. It's one thing to be single and not have anyone be even the least bit interested in dating you, but when even your friends aren't there -- I just can't even explain the depth of that despair.

Anyway, here I am, after lying in bed at least an hour longer than I should have, and I feel emotionally hungover. My heart's exhausted. I hope this message gets to someone who can help before I shut down completely.

It's pretty clear to anyone who reads your post, the level of emotion within it.... one thing your post contains is a cry for help... but it doesn't say what help you're looking for exactly?

You'll need to help us out or we can't really help you. Know what I mean?

Nobody's situation is the same, but I have had times where I have felt ignored.

I had to pull myself out of the funk of that depression. One day, it was really hard but, I just forced myself to do things with people and contact them first. I actually think it was in high school. I could drive and my mom was complaining to me because I had been really mopey and lonely. So she told me to text people and make plans.

It was awkward and embarrassing, but guess what? People actually did want to hang out with me! At first it was uncomfortable, but it did get better as time went by. Sometimes you just have to push through it, and get out of your comfort zone, and ask people. It's a two way street, sometimes you have to make the initiate contact.

As far as dating, can't help you there! No one wants to date me either!

Red914 said:
It's really hit me recently. People just don't care enough about me. I think there are even people on this site who have started to ignore me.

I believe it might be because I don't reply enough to people who post in response to my own posts -- and I'm sorry for that. It's just that I experience very crippling depression, and I barely have enough energy to post in the first place. Just know that I appreciate all of you brave people. A lot.

I really don't know what to do at this point. You can imagine what Valentine's was like for me yesterday. I had friends ignore me, like I said. It's one thing to be single and not have anyone be even the least bit interested in dating you, but when even your friends aren't there -- I just can't even explain the depth of that despair.

Anyway, here I am, after lying in bed at least an hour longer than I should have, and I feel emotionally hungover. My heart's exhausted. I hope this message gets to someone who can help before I shut down completely.

Well, I'm on stand-by to assist if it's needed.

And for the record I'm in a similar situation.

Red914 said:

You are relying too much on other people. Start doing stuff by yourself. Get some exercise, take up some new hobbies. Join a few clubs. If people don't get in touch with you then forget about them. They obviously don't care about you. You might meet some new friends if you get yourself out there and occupied instead of lying in bed all day !

The more you rely on other people, and the more your happiness rely's on other people, the more you'll realize that sometimes people will let you down. I agree with Triple Bogey, you should find hobbies you like and do them. If these "friends" of yours keep ignoring you, then they're not really your friends and you should try and look for better ones.

Nicolelt said:
Nobody's situation is the same, but I have had times where I have felt ignored.

I had to pull myself out of the funk of that depression. One day, it was really hard but, I just forced myself to do things with people and contact them first. I actually think it was in high school. I could drive and my mom was complaining to me because I had been really mopey and lonely. So she told me to text people and make plans.

It was awkward and embarrassing, but guess what? People actually did want to hang out with me! At first it was uncomfortable, but it did get better as time went by. Sometimes you just have to push through it, and get out of your comfort zone, and ask people. It's a two way street, sometimes you have to make the initiate contact.

Gotta agree with Nicole here. Sometimes when you do reach out, it actually turns out that they really wouldn't mind your company. Some friends aren't really the initiators - like me lol. But I always make sure to let my friends know that I'm always here for them.

I hope you're feeling better by now. I'd give the same advice Nicole gave here, just make yourself do something. Get out of that funk. I know it's easier said than done, especially when you're really down and out.. but that is really the time when you really have to push yourself, because honestly, no one else will or can do that for you.

P.S.
*hugs* Red! Feel better soon.

Red914 said:
I think there are even people on this site who have started to ignore me.

Online relationships and friendships, I think, as a rule are pretty flimsy just by their very nature. You can't really know a person until you are in their physical presence. Letters on a screen can only convey so much about who we are.

[ Sorry I kind of ignored your whole post. This was the only part I felt strongly about :) ]

well, I think I know how you feel, about the bloody festivity, about the "friends", everything

Nightwing said:
It's pretty clear to anyone who reads your post, the level of emotion within it.... one thing your post contains is a cry for help... but it doesn't say what help you're looking for exactly?

You'll need to help us out or we can't really help you. Know what I mean?

I know, trust me. It's just because of my depression. I hardly ever have enough energy to go into detail.

I suppose I just need hugs (virtually, in this case, of course) and kind words and people taking a little time to let me talk to them. Just to know that, even on a small level, that there are actually people out there who might think fondly of me, given enough time.

I just don't feel valued a lot of the time. I suppose that's the main issue.

Groucho said:
Red914 said:

Well, I'm on stand-by to assist if it's needed.

And for the record I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your kindness. And feel free to vent to me whenever you like.

Funny how it's those who are most in need who are expected to bear the burden of reaching out. Why so one-sided, why the invisibility? Social hierarchy; the lonely aren't generally attractive, interesting, quirky/creative or cool enough for others to make any effort with, so it's up to them to give and hope that some of that will be returned in due course.

Unfortunately a lot of it seems to do with what you look like, clothing, how initially confident and fun you are, whether you're viewed as adding value to other people's social lives and self-esteem.

Red914 said:
Thanks so much. I really appreciate your kindness. And feel free to vent to me whenever you like.

I don't have anything particular to vent about, but you can always talk to me.

Red914 said:

I dont think that people ignore you consciously, or it is because it is YOU. In order to have attention, you have to make yourself actually known. You have like 18 posts, you are being ignored. Thing is you are hardly 'present'. If you want people to pay attention to you, SPEAK TO THEM.
And if you dont receive the response you hope for, it's ok. You have to learn how to live with it. You have to tell yourself that not everyone may appreciate you, but it doesnt make you less worthy. It's just a human thing *shrug*

ardour said:
Unfortunately a lot of it seems to do with what you look like, clothing, how initially confident and fun you are, whether you're viewed as adding value to other people's social lives and self-esteem.

A relationship has to add value to each person's life otherwise what is the point? Thanks to technology, personal relationships are practically a thing of the past. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back