How do I get a girlfriend at University?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Lion

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first real post on these forums. I apologize in advance if I break any conventions or have posted this in the wrong forum.

Please read and understand my description thoroughly before answering. Thank you.

I am 18 years old, turning 19 in the summer. I am a freshman at a University downtown. As of yet I have not kissed a woman, nor flirted/dated, or done anything intimate,flirtatious, or sexual with a female.

1) I do not live on residence in a dorm. I commute to the university, so the commonly suggested tip of "meet girls in your dorm room or within your roomate's social circle" is void.

2) All of my classes are lectures with approx. 100 students. You never sit beside the same person twice. I have not built any friends since arriving in September of 2013. Another common suggestion I hear is "chat with someone in your class and go from there". This isn't high school where there's 25 kids in a class and you know everyone.

3) A final suggestion I'm used to hearing is "join clubs and get connected". I haven't found a club that interests me as of yet. However, I am in the process of crafting one with some other students and will perhaps meet a nice girl here and move forward.

This is why I bring the question to you, A Lonely Life Forums. There are those hear in similar shoes to mine and those who have overcome such obstacles and built strong social skills and positive progress. I hope that we can bounce off each other's experiences and wisdom and solve my problem as well as the problem of others.

So, please advise me on how to get a girlfriend when I do not live in a dormitory with women and have large classes where everyone is "just a head in the crowd".

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Surround yourself with people. The people you click with will naturally gravitate toward you. Sit next to a girl in your class and talk to her. Ask her for her number, or if you want to be less forward add her on facebook. Then text her or message her. Even if you don't dorm you can still hang out at the dorms. You just need to make friends with people who do dorm.

Clubs and organizations are a great way to get into a social circle. I worked in college and that job was like it's own group. Everyone knew each other and hanged out.

In the end when you've never experienced going up to a stranger and just start talking it's hard. But it's a great skill to have. There's a thread in the misc section where another college guy is documenting himself forcing himself to become more sociable. He was just like you, started walking up to strangers and just chatting. It's inspiring. You should check it out.

Latest posts

Back