Lonely in hawaii.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SighX99

Reaction score
Moved to Hawaii a little over a year ago. I did not know anyone on the island of Oahu. Transferred to a state college in Honolulu.

I found out the hard way that it's so easy to get lonely in Honolulu, HI. I don't know anyone here. My friends are basically people I met from clubs at school. (martial arts, league of legends, art history club...etc). I feel like I don't have any real friends here. There are events going on all the time but I feel extremely weird attending those events by myself. I also feel uncomfortable about going to bars or movies by myself as well.

I do not live on campus either, a decision which I regret. I want to meet people who are willing to hangout with me on the weekends, but it seems that people are apprehensive because of several reasons:

It's an island. people come and go. I feel that most people that are from Honolulu know that so they do not go out of their way to make friends.

they already have their own circle of friends on the island that are outside of school.

I do not know if its just me or people are different. I remember back in california where I lived for a long time, it was incredibly easy to make friends. You meet someone in a class, the next day you are smoking weed in their living room watching a movie. Here, it seems like people just don't want to make friends, or its harder to create a friendship that is close.

Anyone from Oahu, Hawaii? or Honolulu? hit me up. I would like to make friends so we can go hiking/to the beach or whatever. It's scary to go to the beach and surf/kayak by urself because its dangerous. If something happened no one would know.

I'm not from Hawaii, but I understand what you're saying about the atmosphere. I suppose it doesn't help that some of those islands are tourist hotspots.

If you met and befriended people at clubs when you were at school, I don't see why you cannot do the same where you are now. Even if you don't end up smoking weed in their homes, you at least might have some enjoyment out of doing something you like.

And why feel weird about doing things on your own? Especially if there are things going on? Try something, if you like movies maybe there is a film club or something. Or a surf or kayaking club?

Holiday towns are different you say - maybe that's true, I grew up in one, though in the north of England, not a tropical paradise, I can tell you!! But surely not everyone on campus is a local? You are just going to have to try harder, is all. Regard it as a challenge. Overcome it.😺

Latest posts

Back