Enjoying my loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
I do understand how a "Loneliness" or "being alone" can be a bad thing, especially if it's not by a choice... For the most part, I like being alone... I grew up in a normal house with normal family... No problems other than what other normal families go through... I have a normal job & few normal friends... Recently, I've been told by more than few people, co workers & others, that I'm very hard to approach... I didn't know I gave off that type of "vibe"... I do enjoy alone time more than what most people would consider normal... I can only deal with people, weather it's a family member or close friend or people in general, short period at a time... Of course my close friend know that about me & he doesn't take it personally when I eventually wanna end the night of hanging out... I guess that makes me a loner? Anybody else a loner?

sk66rc said:
I do understand how a "Loneliness" or "being alone" can be a bad thing, especially if it's not by a choice... For the most part, I like being alone... I grew up in a normal house with normal family... No problems other than what other normal families go through... I have a normal job & few normal friends... Recently, I've been told by more than few people, co workers & others, that I'm very hard to approach... I didn't know I gave off that type of "vibe"... I do enjoy alone time more than what most people would consider normal... I can only deal with people, weather it's a family member or close friend or people in general, short period at a time... Of course my close friend know that about me & he doesn't take it personally when I eventually wanna end the night of hanging out... I guess that makes me a loner? Anybody else a loner?

I prefer to be alone as well. I don't like groups, there is always somebody with a big mouth. I always take some honeysuckle from somebody. I like work when there is 3 or 4 staff. I play golf in a group of 4, I don't mind that. I won't go anywhere crowded.

I'm here because I miss having a woman in my life. I just love women and everything about them. I haven't been lonely for about 20 years to be honest.

I suppose I'm a loner, not anti-social, but someone who likes my own company and own space. In a perfect world I would have someone to enjoy it with. I like the idea of having another independent loner as my SO.

Grackle said:
I suppose I'm a loner, not anti-social, but someone who likes my own company and own space. In a perfect world I would have someone to enjoy it with. I like the idea of having another independent loner as my SO.

This is how I am too and how I feel as well.

ladyforsaken said:
Grackle said:

This is how I am too and how I feel as well.

Yeah, it’s almost the same for me too. Too bad that our SOs are just that: a fantasy.

I'd say I'm a loner, yes. For the longest time, I felt horrible for not having friends and doing activities with those friends like others seemed to do so often. I realized, though, that I didn't really have a personal desire for those things so much as I was preoccupied with how people would view me if I didn't desire those things. I had a pseudo-desire for friends, fueled by an irrational preoccupation with what others thought and expected. Then, I got sick of it and just stopped giving a **** about what other people thought. I started walking around town by myself, stopping at coffee shops by myself, etc, and I felt more comfortable than lonely. I don't even really feel lonely in a negative way anymore; I feel as if I'm living a pleasantly reclusive life. Without feeling pressured, I've decided to become active on some old forums again, including this one, to sate what little desire I may have to interact with others beyond my usual routine.

Grackle said:

+1 this. :) It's nice to be ''a loner'' and just very small circle of people around (only sometimes).

Im a loner who sometimes becomes a social loner. Last nite I went to the bar smoked up before I went. It was pretty crowded. But I felt comfortably numb like I didn't give an f.

So I go in the first thing that pissed me off this guys blocking the aisle with his stool. Im a low talker so I say excuse me and of course he dosent hear me. So I move it and go sit down and he gives me this ignorant look, the look that a 40 some drunk gives and I just ignore him. Screw him

I order a draft and a girl across the bar who I sorta know buys me a shot which is cool. She has a boyfriend but we had a little small talk across the bar. Im still pretty chill just doing my think lighting up smokes and then I notice this couple. Now empathys a blessing and a curse for me. Usually a curse and I realize their talking their little smack about how messed up I already am. I just knew and it pissed me off.I wasnt even that bad just dazed.

I order another one and my shot and the bar girls really cold to me rolling her eyes at the old men next to me. And that dude who had the stool in the way keeps glancing at me cause he has nothing at all better to do obviously. I drank up and just left.

I guess the point is im not always happy when im alone but theres a lot of people who think life's still a popularity contest. And those people aren't gonna break me.

I prefer to hang out with a few friends and have a laugh, however I don't mind spending time by myself. More often than not I do need people around me though.

I haven't seen many of my friends these days though partially due to how I have been feeling since the latter part of last year.

lonelyfairy said:
Grackle said:

+1 this. :) It's nice to be ''a loner'' and just very small circle of people around (only sometimes).

+2 :)

Hi all..first post. I've read this site, off and on, for a couple of weeks and decided to join. I thought I was the only one who enjoys being alone. Oddly, I have in the past had a bunch of friends and people are usually asking me to join them or their groups, but I usually decline. I just don't care to go out and about that much. I do like going to thrift stores/flea markets/yard sales and I love to fish, but those I enjoy by myself.

As for a relationship, I honestly feel I'm meant to be alone. Yeah, as much as I crave being with a woman from time to time, a lot of times it wouldn't be just for the sex. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone to grab a bite to eat or see a movie or go on a roadtrip, but overall I do like being alone. A friend with benefits and tag along partner would be great, but only for the weekends. M-F I want my alone time...lol

beautiful loser said:
Hi all..first post. I've read this site, off and on, for a couple of weeks and decided to join. I thought I was the only one who enjoys being alone. Oddly, I have in the past had a bunch of friends and people are usually asking me to join them or their groups, but I usually decline. I just don't care to go out and about that much. I do like going to thrift stores/flea markets/yard sales and I love to fish, but those I enjoy by myself.

As for a relationship, I honestly feel I'm meant to be alone. Yeah, as much as I crave being with a woman from time to time, a lot of times it wouldn't be just for the sex. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone to grab a bite to eat or see a movie or go on a roadtrip, but overall I do like being alone. A friend with benefits and tag along partner would be great, but only for the weekends. M-F I want my alone time...lol

Yeah, I know what you mean... I thought I was the weird one growing up because I really didn't like being around people... Even when I went on a vacation or trip with the family, I'd find some excuse to spend as much time alone away from the family... Like I said, it's not like I had odd family situation... My family was as normal as any other family you would see... I guess it was just me, or at least out of my family... As I grew older, I did notice more & more people, of course at a different degree, that liked to be alone & I thought to myself I'm really not all that unusual... I've been at my current job long enough to get 3 weeks of vacation per year... Even when I was in a relationship, I've always reserved 1 week of vacation to go somewhere by myself... That was the first thing I brought up on my first date with my now ex-girlfriend... Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way...

There are times when I also enjoy my loneliness. But that's because I get tired of all the socially inept people I regularly encounter and say f*ck it, I'm better off alone.

I prefer to be alone too but (there always is a but) I haven't enjoyed being single this past 2years. I miss having someone to share my life with but I think that's completely different than being an unhappy loner. I'm not interested in friends but I definitely would like to find my soulmate.

Seems like majority of people, though they would value their space, are looking for someone to be with... Which in itself is completely understandable... I guess, like myself, most people here would rather have a very small intimate group of friends rather than large circle of friends... Either that or I'm seeing more & more of people who are looking for that 1 special someone...

Latest posts

Back