Even on the internet, I am hesitant to make friends :( anyone else feel this way too?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
For some reason it's hard for me to break the ice. When I was younger though, I didn't give a crap about offending anyone. On this old site I use to go to, I'd say all sorts of ridiculous things just for the fun of it.

But I guess I grew out of it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Idol Minos said:
For some reason it's hard for me to break the ice. When I was younger though, I didn't give a crap about offending anyone. On this old site I use to go to, I'd say all sorts of ridiculous things just for the fun of it.

Congratulations - sounds like you are an adult!

I know how I feel - I feel glad that you are no longer an immature twit who might not care if he offended the good people of ALL, or who would spout a load of crap just for the hell of it :rolleyes:

Never too old for a spot of trolling :club:

As long as no one's getting really hurt it's all good! Many offended people are counter-productive hypocrites anyway. Negativity has given us some of the best things in life, but that's another topic. It's OK to grow up and realise a lot of people aren't worth opening up to. It might not be any easier for us, but it's OK.

I'm actually more open online than I am offline. IRL, I'm more hesitant because they can see me and judge me that way. Online, I am not judged by how I look or what I do (as in them seeing me talk or whatever).
Online I can be who I am and quite honestly, I don't care what people think of me.

Just try to keep the ice breaking simple and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Also, there's nothing wrong with just saying what you want for the fun of it sometimes, as long as it's tasteful fun....which I suppose is a matter of opinion by the individual.

Rosebolt said:
^ I think he was reffering to some other website, and not to ALL forums.

Judging by the "this old site I use to go to" part...yeah, I'd say so

Online friendships don't seem to click for me the way they do for other people. For some reason I never get to the "PMing each other, inside jokes" stage.

I think it's because I try too hard to be 'nice' and not hurt anybody's feelings. I suspect that makes my posts feel too prissy, not like a real person.

I am an anti-troll.

I am definitely anti-troll. One of the reasons I post on here and don't just lurk is that it seems like a more respectful forum than some of the others out there.

I would hate it if that sort of thing were encouraged here. I would be afraid that I would be the target of some joke I didn't understand, and its bad enough being lonely without being made to feel stupid as well..

StormChild said:
I think it's because I try too hard to be 'nice' and not hurt anybody's feelings. I suspect that makes my posts feel too prissy, not like a real person.

I am an anti-troll.

Snap.
That's exactly how I feel

I also agree with Anahita, I thought this site was far better than anything I'd encountered before. Why on earth would you want to troll on here. Your troll comments might just push somebody over the edge.

My comment was an answer to his thread question. I experience the same problem because I am the opposite to a troll.

StormChild said:
My comment was an answer to his thread question. I experience the same problem because I am the opposite to a troll.

I know you did. I wasn't really referring to you specifically with my post.

It just seems that the focus is being taken away from what the OP is looking for based on the fact that he may or may not have been a troll on other forums when he was younger.

However, saying what you want for fun does not always equate to being a troll. Not caring if you offend someone also does not always equate to being a troll. IMO, words can only be offensive if you choose to take offense, not just because someone said something.

I wasn't really sure what the thread was about, as the title and opening post don't seem to match so much, and "I didn't give a crap about offending anyone. On this old site I use to go to, I'd say all sorts of ridiculous things just for the fun of it. " sounds like typical trolling, to me. But of course it's a broad term, often misused these days as a blanket term in place of general bullying. Lilmlim (does he still post here?) was a self-proclaimed troll here but I never saw him cause harm to anyone or say anything out of spite... why people would want to be "anti" this I really don't know. Trolling doesn't have to mean some abrasive and bored brat telling lonely people to kill themselves or telling a woman to go back to the kitchen. It can be fun too.

I don't set out to offend anyone but if I do then, well, I'll try and think about it rationally and if I feel I was wrong I will apologise but if not then they can fresia off tbh. :D Depends who, what, where, why etc. I don't think it makes me more hesitant to open up to people, but it might make them more hesitant to open up to me.

Idol Minos said:

I think a lot of people have trouble of breaking the ice, it's much easier if there's a common ground. Though initially it's something that people do struggle with so it's not unusual.

Its hard to break the ice in a group when it seems like everyone in that group are long time friends. Like going to a party where you don't know anyone.

Latest posts

Back