What should I add?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does this site need the most?

• A new proper chat integrated with your login

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Switch to run on SSL ( https://www.alonelylife.com ) for maximum security and privacy (encrypts info

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Something else? Please specify

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjarne

Reaction score
Wondering what changes you think this website needs the most?

In case you're wondering about the recent speed increase, I just moved the site to a less populated server at linode, which practically only runs this site now.

Other ideas noted so far:
More smilies
An option to hide the banners (could be a bonus feature after x number of posts?)

Like you suggested, integrated chat with login options to avoid more trolling and difficulties.

Also, an option to hide the banner maybe? :D because now it's so frustrating that if people stare at my screen they can see the header..

HGwells said:
Like you suggested, integrated chat with login options to avoid more trolling and difficulties.

Also, an option to hide the banner maybe? :D because now it's so frustrating that if people stare at my screen they can see the header..

If you have Adblock Plus you can right click on the logo and choose block element to get rid of the header logo :).

Or if you use Greasemonkey this script should work. Haven't tried it though.

Code:
document.getElementById('header').style.visibility='hidden';

Edit- Ok that gets rid of the whole header. This greasemonkey script will just get rid of all the mentions of "A Lonely Life" from the top of the page. Just set the @match to http://www.alonelylife.com/* to get it working on the whole site :O

Code:
var xpathResult = document.evaluate('//*[@id="header"]/div[1]/a/img', document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
var node=xpathResult.singleNodeValue;

var xpathResult2 = document.evaluate('//*[@id="content"]/div[2]/span', document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
var node2=xpathResult2.singleNodeValue;

var xpathResult3 = document.evaluate('//*[@id="content"]/div[2]/a[1]', document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
var node2=xpathResult3.singleNodeValue;

node.style.display='none';
node2.style.display='none';
node3.style.display='none';

Or you can just install it from here http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/479766

kamya said:
HGwells said:

If you have Adblock Plus you can right click on the logo and choose block element to get rid of the header logo :).

Or if you use Greasemonkey this script should work. Haven't tried it though.

Code:
document.getElementById('header').style.visibility='hidden';

You're a honeypie. Thank you <3

I´d like to see if someone replied to something I wrote. When one posts in some large thread, and doesnt not come back for a few days, he is often unable to find if someone replied...
I´d like this to be added, if possible.

Mr.YellowCat said:
I´d like to see if someone replied to something I wrote. When one posts in some large thread, and doesnt not come back for a few days, he is often unable to find if someone replied...

If you click the little green arrow, it will take you to where you were the last time you were in the thread.

Mr.YellowCat said:

Do you mean when someone quotes your post like this, or just the thread in general? Replies to threads you can turn off and on by clicking "Subscribe to this thread" down to the bottom left of your screen. Not sure if it works for quotes, never tried that before.

Sci-Fi said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

Do you mean when someone quotes your post like this, or just the thread in general? Replies to threads you can turn off and on by clicking "Subscribe to this thread" down to the bottom left of your screen. Not sure if it works for quotes, never tried that before.

Yes, I mean just like this. If I didnt come back to this thread, I would have never knew you replied.

Mr.YellowCat said:

This could be a good idea, but like Sci mentioned that would only really work if someone quoted what you said. Otherwise you physically have to go back and check.

EDIT: Just remembered why I was responding in the first place, maybe some more smileys and an updated ALL picture :)

Maybe a way to elect moderators once a year or so? If anyone feels that this forum needs that?

I voted for the chat option.

But some new smileys would be cool too.

Rosebolt said:
Maybe a way to elect moderators once a year or so? If anyone feels that this forum needs that?

I definitely think something needs to be done about moderation here. But I fear some kind of election process would only make things worse, adding to the problem. I'm not really sure what the answer is. Perhaps just a re-evaluation.

It would be cool if we could have the youtube/quote etc buttons on top of the quick reply box.

And ability to see reputation from our profiles.

Another forum I post on has facebook-style notifications when someone quotes you or replies to a thread you have posted in. They can also tag users by doing for example "@Rosebolt" in their post and it will give them a notification they were mentioned. I'm not sure if we are running on software that can do this, and I'm not even sure I want it! But it's an idea.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Today I have made the following tweaks:
* disabled shout box 60 second auto-refresh on the front page (annoying and stupid imho)
* guests are now able to see who's online (not including invisible users)

I am currently looking into what a good chat solution would be like. I got a local test version of the forum running now to test plugins before using them on the live site.

Also I am still planning on switching the site to run on SSL/https eventually.

Might sound cheesy, too much like facebook. How about Like and Dislike Buttons.

Please don't throw things lol :).

GraceBlossom said:
Might sound cheesy, too much like facebook. How about Like and Dislike Buttons.

Please don't throw things lol :).

Actually, it's not cheesy at all, it's actually a good idea, IMO. I don't know about the dislike button, I think that might be too negative for a forum of this nature. But a lot of forums I've been on have a like/thank you button. So, if a post isn't quite enough to rep someone, you could still show them your support.

Hi Bjarne, I would like to say that the way the chatroom link is setup right now is inefficient from a mod's perspective. A little while ago the link was changed so that it directed people to the chatroom thread where they could see the list of official guidelines and get instructions on how to register. Making the link go directly to the chatroom circumvents this and only creates a need for mods to direct people to the thread manually.

bjarne said:
Today I have made the following tweaks:
* disabled shout box 60 second auto-refresh on the front page (annoying and stupid imho)

Oh, thank you so much for that! It was indeed quite annoying. It always made me paranoid whenever posting in the shoutbox that it will refresh on me (though I realise I could've turned it off but I don't want to turn it off...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back