Another reason why people are lonely.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alonewith2cats

Reaction score
Pay close attention to this one. It's a love story. It's about how we're so addicted to our phones, technology and social media that we're so disconnected from others and not paying attention to what is happening around us. In this video it shows a story of a man who let the love of his life pass him by because of this problem.

People seem to forget that things we use on daily basis are only tools after all though they make our lives a bit easier... There are times we do need to put things down & as it said in the video, "look up" once in a while... I got my cell phone the day after I turned 18... But for 25 years I've been using it, and 10+ years I've used a smart phone, it has never been anything other than a "phone"... I've gone through few jobs since then & even few different positions within a same job... I refuse to let a simple tool to take over my life... I personally like solitary life... Granted that just like a lot of people out there, every so often I do hang out with few friends & hang out at a crowded place... For me, it's never been about human contact... It just seems silly to me that a phone, or any other form of tool, would take over someone's life...

I've seen this video before,it's amazing but sad at the same time.

It's kinda funny how all the tech we create to enhance our lives and make things easier take over our lives.

Smartphones are great and so are computers but.. just take a look at this

http://tbo.com/news/crime/homosassa-man-killed-son-to-play-video-games-deputies-say-20140417/

Guy suffocates his baby to death by wrapping him around with multiple layers of bedding because he was playing XBOX and it "annoyed" him.

So he played xbox and watched tv and didn't check on his son for 5 hours,when he came back the baby was blue.

Just wow.Reading through this makes me sick.

Jazzbird said:

It's kinda funny how all the tech we create to enhance our lives and make things easier take over our lives.

http://tbo.com/news/crime/homosassa-man-killed-son-to-play-video-games-deputies-say-20140417/

Guy suffocates his baby to death by wrapping him around with multiple layers of bedding because he was crying and it "annoyed" him.

So he played xbox and watched tv and didn't check on his son for 5 hours,when he came back the baby was blue.

That's just bad parenting... Pretty sickening, though...

I saw a bunch of kids on the bus today laughing with each other, apparently having skipped a portion of school. It was kind of nice to see people talking for once even if they'd been missing class.

sk66rc said:
Jazzbird said:

Guy suffocates his baby to death by wrapping him around with multiple layers of bedding because he was crying and it "annoyed" him.

That's just bad parenting... Pretty sickening, though...

Yup.. who'd kill a baby to play xbox? ..

Alonewith2cats said:
Pay close attention to this one. It's a love story. It's about how we're so addicted to our phones, technology and social media that we're so disconnected from others and not paying attention to what is happening around us. In this video it shows a story of a man who let the love of his life pass him by because of this problem.

Actually, we're just spoiled brats who prefer playing with electronics if the people around us don't do what we want them to do. Of course, we won't admit to that, and we'll just say people are mean.

Jazzbird said:

Guy suffocates his baby to death by wrapping him around with multiple layers of bedding because he was playing XBOX and it "annoyed" him.

I don't even...ugh. What the hell was he thinking? That breathing is optional for babies?
The only consolation here is that he'll most likely never reproduce again.

well to be fair I can't really think of another way to silence a baby than to muffle the sound directly. I'm pretty sure the baby dying wasn't the intended effect. With a little forethought he could have made the place with the crib a soundproof room by cutting up egg cartons and glueing them to the wall. This causes the sound waves to break up and dissipate instead of travel over to where you're playing your xbox.

Limlim said:
well to be fair I can't really think of another way to silence a baby than to muffle the sound directly. I'm pretty sure the baby dying wasn't the intended effect. With a little forethought he could have made the place with the crib a soundproof room by cutting up egg cartons and glueing them to the wall. This causes the sound waves to break up and dissipate instead of travel over to where you're playing your xbox.

That joke was... infantile.

(Guess I'll be joining you in hell, Limlim. I hope you brought chips.)

Well the egg carton thing really does work. Problem is then you've got all these ******* egg cartons on your walls.

^Use your Debbie Gibson and Back Street Boy wall hangings that you bought at the fair to cover them up and add style ;)

I remember a while back being in a doctor's office waiting room with a total of eight people and each of us had a device in our hands and it was so quiet...no conversation. I brought that point up out loud and a few people smiled and chuckled, and then we were back at it.

How sad. :(

Jazzbird said:

You know, I would never want to believe things like this actually happen... But... I know people like this do exist. And it make me sick, because it puts a horrible name to gamers.

The man's accent was a little irritating & the rhyming was corny. But it is still the best Youtube clip I've seen in a while, & the message is dead on target. I am also guilty of it, ever since I got my smart phone....though not as much as some. (I've managed to either turn the **** phone off when in public, or just leave it at home.) The discouraging thing is, when I used to ride the bus I'd not text or surf the Web (if only to be aware of people getting on--some homeless people can be dangerous), so many of those texting away with earbuds stuck in their ears were children.

Like the narrator said, our kids are learning to be Net zombies & they think it's normal.

I am tempted to share the vid on my Facebook page, but I realize that to do so would make me look like a hypocritical jackass. Even so, the message is an important one...

One book to read about our high-tech mass delusion & what it's doing for us:
The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. I bought it a while ago & highly recommend it. At least reading it won't give you screen burn.

We're all guilty of this to some degree but really people dont want to talk in public. Whether I'm in a coffee shop reading the paper or sketching almost half the people there or more are glued to their phones. Its the society we live in people want to stay connected but it just ends up making them more socially inept. I'd like to think attitudes will change but they really wont as the next device will replace the last one and so on. I'm amazed people even have time to do anything else these days. The amount of people walking and looking at their phones is astounding in any major city. Almost feel like bumping into them and saying watch where you're going because it might save some of their asses when a bus is oncoming and they're too busy liking statuses.

Latest posts

Back