Terrible Life Thus Far

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravely

Reaction score
Guys, I need to let this out. What you're about to read is private, though perhaps not anymore. I've never told anyone the full story. Everyone just has snippets of information, but never all of it. No one really knows how bad my day to day life is. I just need to say it knowing someone will read it, and hopefully someone will understand. I apologize if this is long, but it is my life.

My childhood was bad. I was adopted and told later that my parents didn't want me. My adoptive dad was a Vietnam vet who struggles with depression and alcoholism to this day. My adoptive mother was very manipulative, and though she had some comforting moments in my early life, she later became the kind of person I despised. I wasn't a happy kid. I was in a bad home environment and was depressed, although I was never diagnosed with anything seeing as I've never seen a psychologist. In my teens, I had a bad relationship at fifteen and grew inside of myself after that. I loved her, and had relationships after that, but never had that wide-eyed stare again. One thing also worth mentioning is that, because of my dad's veteran status, I had money coming in that was saved for my adult life. I didn't get to touch it until I was eighteen.

At eighteen, I moved out on my own. I had all this money saved up and had no idea how to save anything. I had worked since I was sixteen, but always spent whatever I had quickly. I spent all the money my dad saved within a year of being on my own, I didn't work in my new city, and found myself broke. The economy was worse then than now, so I just worked odd jobs and fast food to pay for rent. Part of my VA benefits entitled me to a free ride in college, though, and I squandered that. I ended up at the point where I was living in a one-bedroom apartment, sitting online all day, and skipping class. I had no friends, and I was lying to my dad and step-mom about how I was living. I grew inside myself so much then. My step-mom and my dad were supportive as long as I didn't depend on them. My dad wasn't as depressed by then and really becoming more laid back. He didn't drink as much either.

Then came four years ago. I had, in broke desperation, written about $500 in bad checks and found there was an arrest warrant. I packed up everything and moved home. Two days later, I wrote a note coming clean about all I'd done and turned myself in at the jail while everyone was in bed. The next day, my dad bailed me out. I filled in the gaps and started a clean slate. I started living with him and my step-mom. For awhile, it was good. My dad is just laid back now, but my step-mom showed me her true colors. She's a very hypocritical religious person, and I knew that before, but after I moved in I saw the personality she had been hiding all along-- she is flat out hateful and a classic control freak. It wasn't anger just at me for any reason, it was anger at everyone and everything. It was very stressful to deal with her and to get her to do my thing, but I was able to work around it for awhile.

Then she broke me down. I became very stressed out all the time, and I couldn't avoid her. But then I just started accepting the situation and failed to see a way out. My spending habits had improved, but I was working a very low-hour job and couldn't sustain myself even if I had moved out. I felt so stuck. I had no real friends outside work, I had given up on girls, and was deeply depressed. Then at the very lowest depths, I found another job that gave me more hours. I was in the process of saving money, and then she backed me in the corner with more of her angry a paranoia and I finally felt I had to leave. Temporarily, or so I thought, I would spend a week in a hotel and spend a week sleeping in my car. It was just a minimum was fast food job, so I couldn't afford to stay longer in a hotel. But living in a hotel is expensive and I had very little money left over after I paid for my week in a hotel. I couldn't save a dime to find an apartment. A couple of weeks turned into nine months, and I'm still doing this.

Half of last winter, which was absolutely brutally cold, I spend freezing in my car every night. How I didn't get hypothermia from the constant snow and terrible freezing winds is beyond me. I was constantly suffering, and I just couldn't find a way out. And now, yesterday, I lost my shitty fast food job and I'm totally broke apart from the check I've got coming next week. My tired of living like this, I'm so physically and mentally tired. I'm homeless and broke and I've been so for close to a year now. I'm afraid of going hungry, I'm afraid of sleeping in my hot car all summer. I'm so depressed and lonely and I have nowhere to go and no one rto talk to. I haven't come clean to anyone because I don't think anyone I know would understand.

I know this is a baffling situation, but I have two nights left before I have to leave this hotel. Is there anything anyone can say to comfort me? Is there anyone I can talk to? I'm not suicidal, I just feel so hopeless. I've being clinging to scraps of hope for so long, and I just feel like I have nothing left to fight with. Please, somebody talk to me. I hope someone understands.

I know there are gaps in the story above, but it would all just lead to a longer story I doubt anyone would read. I doubt anyone will even read what I just wrote. This is just me trying to scrap away the bottom of the well to look for anything.

I'm not really sure how to advise you, I'm mainly posting so you know someone had read this.

Are there any shelters you can stop in? I'm not well versed on USA benefits like unemployment benfit - are there any advice centers you can try? (The UK has Citizens Advice Beurau - I don't know whats in the USA)

I'm sorry all of this has happened.

Can you go to a shelter? I know the ones in my town offer work and programs for people to get them better jobs on their own. Not trying to be sacrilegious, but what about local churches? I just ask because my grandma runs the shelter in hers and she tels me about success stories all the time. They have even helped out entire families.

I do hope things get better.

First of all, I would have read more if you decided to include it.

Second, I am sorry to read such an articulate person is experiencing bad times.

If I were you, I would look for a shelter. I'm not a spiritual or religious guy, but I'd even check local churches to see if they know of a place for me. I would even attend services if it meant an opportunity for a job or a better life. (As a non-religious person, I would willingly bury my natural aversion to spirituality in favor of the possibility to get back on my feet.)

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

That's a much worse life than i've had, i can't even imagine how that must feel for you, i'm sorry about this.

I don't have any idea on how to advice you either, i've never been in such a situation. But likewise, i would've read alot more if you wanted to share it.

You are not alone. Many people are suffering just like you. PM me and I can steer you in the right direction for help.

A lot of advice to homeless people I've found online suggest shelters, but I stayed in one my first night homeless. There is a lot of violence and robbery with no security-- it's just not a good option. Plus it's depressing because a lot of the people there have been homeless for years and are messed up on drugs. I've been employed the whole time up until now, so I've always had one foot out of the abyss. I've always had a way to keep clean and appear that I have a home to go to up until now. After I have to leave this hotel tomorrow night, though, I don't know how much longer I can keep it up without falling into the abyss. At the same time though, a shelter would be the very bottom. What other homeless people do is part of a world I don't want to be in, and I'd rather be alone in my car than risk getting stabbed and robbed. It's messed up that a service meant to help people in my situation is so dangerous, but unfortunately it's just what it's become. Fortunately, I do have good hiding places to sleep though.

I haven't had great experiences in the past with career centers-- they mainly just give you a password to an online job board (the same as Monster) in which mainly pyramid scheme postings are generally found. All counselors say is 'apply'. Nothing really constructive. Even government workforce centers are more of a business than serious route to employment. I've had better luck just applying myself to local businesses in person, which is what I'm doing today (I just lost my job yesterday). Churches aren't a route I'm interested in going down. I'm Atheist and don't want to become anyone's religious project just to eat. I'll suffer a lot longer before going that route here in the Bible Belt. It sounds angry, but it's just not a price I'm willing to pay. The shards of my pride are all I have left apart from distant hope.

Thank you guys for replying. It helps to know someone knows my story. If anyone has any more advice, I'm very interested.

Gravely said:
Churches aren't a route I'm interested in going down. I'm Atheist and don't want to become anyone's religious project just to eat. I'll suffer a lot longer before going that route here in the Bible Belt. It sounds angry, but it's just not a price I'm willing to pay.

I am an atheist, as well. However, if a church could help me, I would deal with the God talk if I got the benefit of kind people helping me. You are rapidly approaching a position where you cannot afford to turn away an opportunity. If this were me, and my situation was becoming desperate, I would play ball with a church if I felt that I could gain a job or a place to live. Only after I found my footing again would I move on and get a place of my own.

This is not the time to be angry about religion. You cannot afford to turn away a helping hand at this point unless you believe it will lead to personal danger.

Case said:
Gravely said:
Churches aren't a route I'm interested in going down. I'm Atheist and don't want to become anyone's religious project just to eat. I'll suffer a lot longer before going that route here in the Bible Belt. It sounds angry, but it's just not a price I'm willing to pay.

I am an atheist, as well. However, if a church could help me, I would deal with the God talk if I got the benefit of kind people helping me. You are rapidly approaching a position where you cannot afford to turn away an opportunity. If this were me, and my situation was becoming desperate, I would play ball with a church if I felt that I could gain a job or a place to live. Only after I found my footing again would I move on and get a place of my own.

This is not the time to be angry about religion. You cannot afford to turn away a helping hand at this point unless you believe it will lead to personal danger.

I know it's not the same everywhere, but the churches around here don't push the God talk on you. They simply want to help. Yes, you will find some places and some ministers or whatever that want to push you into finding God, but there are many out there that won't even go there.

If you go to your local office for Job and Family services (welfare), they may be able to help you. It's not just about food stamps and cash assistance. They usually have training programs and also people who will help you find a job. I don't know how it is where you are, but it's worth a shot.

I do hope you find something to help you, I'm sorry you have had to go through all of that :(

I'm sure its the last thing you want to hear but i think you really should go back to your dad and step moms house. I know you don't want to be a burden to them, and you want to be independent but this is exactly what family is for! your stepmom may be unbearable (and i relate to that) but you need to grin and bear it because dealing with her and her antics i'm sure is 1000% better then being homeless. Your dad seems to care. Your problem is pride and i get that. You don't want the help. you don't want to admit defeat but there IS a human being on this earth that loves you and doesn't want to see you like this, and thats your father. Stop keeping this from him! Someone who doesn't care about you and doesn't want to help you would never bail you out of jail. Someone who wants to see you homeless on the street would never have adopted you in the first place!

Sorry if I seemed kind of defensive in the last post. I've been very stressed out since yesterday and I apologize if anyone was offended.

If I grew desperate enough, I suppose I would go to church. I'd actually do a lot worse than that. Up to this point, though, I've never begged for money. I've never stolen to get ahead. I've been tempted-- this winter was miserable and my hours were cut in half. I went to work and cooked food all day, and then I'd sit in my car and starve for days at a time. Nobody cared and I lost faith in humanity, but because of my pride, I didn't scrounge for spare change in unlocked cars even though I knew I wouldn't get caught. Pride protected me then, but my situation always had an end date. I'd starve until my next pay date. But if my government assistance (which I applied for today) doesn't come through in time, I don't know what I'd do. I'd like to say I'd beg before I'd steal, but after the three day mark with no food, you change your perspective a lot. I just don't know.

As for going back to my dad and step-mom's, I really don't know if that's an option. I broke down crying on the phone with my dad yesterday and he assured me it would be okay, and then he called me a few hours ago to see how I'm doing. I don't think he would let me be stuck in the situation I'm about to be in, and would probably have a fit if he knew what I've already been through, but I left on bad terms. There's no changing that. It's not just that I don't like my step-mom-- it's that she's a ******* sociopath. When I moved in, I wanted a mother figure, and was very emotionally vulnerable. She broke me down, and when I left, I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. I wouldn't have gone through all I have knowing I had a nice home to go to-- I did it for my own sanity. I left to save what is left of my mental stability, and I felt the whole time that homelessness is better than is being in an emotionally abusive home. I still do. My dad is supportive, but she gets under his skin too. That's why he drinks now, Vietnam is forgotten. He just can't handle it, so he drinks. But when dealing with me, he's always sober and calm now. That wasn't the case growing up, but it is now. And now that I understand why he drinks, it no longer bothers me.

If I'm welcome back, it's choosing between two endless pits. Both have pain waiting for me. But I just don't know that I am welcome. My dad holds no ill will toward me, but my step-mom? I have a feeling she'll deal the fatal blow to my psyche. I've just been fighting this war against loneliness and hard times for so long. I'm tired of fighting. I'm not suicidal, but I'm halfway expecting for my body or mind to give out before I see better days. I hate fighting this war alone. People say I'm never alone, but I look around me on the battlefield, and there is no one at my side. People are with me in spirit I guess, and I'd never wish this lifestyle on anyone, but unless someone is facing the exact same situation as you in their own lives, you truly are alone.

I'm sorry if I'm depressing, I just have no other way of venting honestly. I'm sorry if I've ruined anyone's day.

I'm sorry guys. You are giving me honest advice and believe me, I am getting it. I know it sounds like I'm shooting all of it down, but I'm just venting. I'm not sure that my true intentions are coming through. I'm sorry, I feel like an ******* for how it's coming across. I am hearing you. It's not all advice I want to hear, but what I don't want to hear is what I need to hear.

I know you probably don't want to hear it, but I too would go home. At least there you have your dad on your side, not to mention food and shelter. But by yourself, you're on your own. And like you said, the shelters are full of crazies. Sleeping in a car too is very very risky. You could be attacked, or you could simply die of the heat. I'd go home. Even if it's not that great, it seems to be your best bet at survival, and eventually you can get back on your feet again.

I think you're right. It's going to be hard on me, and I don't want to, but it gets hot here in the summer. Last week I woke up drenched in sweat everyday, and it was difficult to get cleaned up for work. The summer is only going to get worse.

My dad said he's going to call again tomorrow. I don't think I have any choice but to ask if I can come home.

Gravely said:
I think you're right. It's going to be hard on me, and I don't want to, but it gets hot here in the summer. Last week I woke up drenched in sweat everyday, and it was difficult to get cleaned up for work. The summer is only going to get worse.

My dad said he's going to call again tomorrow. I don't think I have any choice but to ask if I can come home.

I think you're making the right choice here. Summer hasn't even started yet, and by me, it's already very humid out. Home may be bad but it's better than taking chances with your life.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out though, so we're not left wondering what happened to you. Wish you well!

Well, I don't have anything new to add, basically quite a number of suggestions were given to you but you have the final decision ultimately and it seems that you might be leaning towards going back home? If that's the decision, I do wish you all the best and hope that things will work out for you. I always believe things happen for a reason, maybe going back home will open up a new opportunity for you, who knows. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I've got to leave in a few hours, but I'll still be able to check in hopefully everyday.

I talked to my dad earlier. I'm questioning what the true situation is. One piece of information I don't think I mentioned is that the house he lives in isn't his-- it's my step-mom's. He just moved in after they got married. The part I'm questioning is how he sees the situation. I don't know if he's waiting on me to ask because I'm too proud, or if I'm really not welcome. What I've really been doing is feeling him out to see if I am welcome. I don't know if it's assumed on their part that I am or not. Since I got nothing earlier, though, I didn't ask. He said he's going to call me in the morning, though, which is a weird time. I don't know what that means.

I've been having intense anxiety issues all night, and I haven't gotten more than two or three hours a night since Monday. I'm just so afraid of the nothingness I'm about to face, and in the case that I'm not welcome, I have to live under the assumption that I have to ride this out myself. I want to thank you all for helping me, reading my posts, and talking to me the past few days though. I don't feel very comforted right now just because of the stress I'm feeling, but at the same time I'd hate to see myself right now if I had never come here.

I also want to thank Giggles86. She PMed me before anyone ever posted in this thread and I've been exchanging PMs with her for the past few days. Thank you. You've kept me distracted and gave me someone to vent to directly, and I am so grateful.

Thank you all.

Wish I could help... But I don't have a better life than you do... I too don't have friends...

I just saw this. No need to thank me, I haven't done much except provide company. But hopefully I've been good company, and your not just replying to be polite haha. :) your a really good guy who deserves better. Remember that.

You have been good company. Trust me, I haven't had the decency lately to put up with people I don't want to. You've been there for me as a caring stranger when no one else in my life has been a friend. You're a good person and a good mom, just as long as you have the good sense not to feed your child Vegemite. My ex from Oz loved the stuff, but I nearly barfed when I tried it. :p :D

I hope to someday repay you somehow for being there for me in this dark time.

Good news, though. I just got off the phone with a shelter in my area I didn't know of (because it isn't listed as a shelter). It's a live-in situation, you're free to come and go as you please, and it's pretty nice too. The only price is mandatory church and Bible study meetings and you get a cleaning job once a week. By the time my dad called, I was able to give good news, and he said he'd cover my first month's rent when I'm back on my feet. This gig is pretty hands off, so my fears of dealing with religious psychopaths I expressed is something I don't have to face. I'll sit through three hours of bible talk per week, sure. If it's Old Testament or Revelation, it won't even set my black vampire heart ablaze and I'll actually enjoy it. :D

I'm just so relieved right now. The only bad part is, they won't have a room ready until six days from now. But hey, what's another week in the heat? I've been living in hell all winter. I can wait that long. I have an end date to misery, and more importantly, I have hope again. I can actually visualize myself climbing out of this pit within a month or two and seeing a time of potential that hasn't been before me in nearly four years.

Anyway, seeing as it's been over 24 hours since I've slept and my stomach no longer feels like it's being corroded by toxic acid, I'm going to try to get some rest. Thank you all.

I have been homeless. Mom wanted me gone. Had husband beat the snot out of me everyday. I don't want to compare tragedies. I just want to add I have been there.

You want a friend contact me.

Latest posts

Back