loneliness led to mass murder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayme89

Reaction score
There was a shooting on the UC Santa Barbara campus on Friday Night. Elliot Rodgers, the son of the director (or a "second unit director" as i've been corrected) of the hunger games, is the suspected shooter. He left 7 people dead and 13 others injured before turning the gun on himself. In this very disturbing video he posted on his youtube page days before the shooting, he spoke of how loneliness, constant rejection, and being a 22 year old virgin is what lead him to his "day of retribution". My heart is so heavy. As someone who relates to his struggle I find myself feeling somewhat bad for him, listening to his words and truly understanding his feelings but feeling more so absolutely shocked, angered, and sickened by his actions. Thoughts?

Here's the original story so nobody thinks i'm making it up: http://news.yahoo.com/videos-show-s...-013516321.html;_ylt=AwrBEiG0AIJT0HQAhqPQtDMD

P.S.
Now on a side note, watch this other video he posted where he speaks of the blonde hair blue eyed, model types of women he feels he "deserves" ( ). Is one of the causes of his rejection and loneliness unrealistic expectations? I've read dozens of post here by men who talk about how they go after women with certain looks and get rejected, thus leading to anger and loneliness. I understand that on this planet men are taught to worship women who look a certain way and see these women as the ONLY standard of beauty and the type of women they MUST have to feel any satisfaction in life. And I feel thats one of the biggest problem with this guy and many other guys. This is not a bad looking guy at all. In fact, he's someone I would have saw as attractive if I saw him in passing. But he would have never looked twice at me. He wouldn't notice me because he was having his "eye on the prize". (To note, I'm FAR from being blonde haired, Caucasian, or blue eyed). Maybe his loneliness, his isolation, could have been resolved if he stopped chasing after women of certain looks and focused more on the inner beauty? Just my two cents.

I don't feel sorry for him at all.
First of all, that video as an EXTREMELY rehearsed tone to it. You could try to say that he's detached or whatever, but I don't buy that.

Second, I don't buy that the son of the guy that directed Hunger Games couldn't get a girl to at least pretend to show him affection or have sex with him. If nothing else, he would get a gold digger trying to get daddy's money. Either way, I don't buy it.

Third, getting "revenge" and dishing out retribution for those who supposedly made him lonely and rejected....no. There is NO excuse I will ever understand for killing a bunch of people just because you feel bad. Get help, find another way, do whatever, but there is no way I would ever feel sorry for someone that would do something like that. It's not your (general you, not anyone in particular) to judge, condemn and carry out a death sentence just because you feel like you were excluded. EVERYONE gets excluded, rejected, even bullied at some point in their lives....it's a part of life and you just have to learn how to deal with it.

For those that want to tell me "it's not that easy," no it's not. Still needs to be done though, if you want a chance at being content with, not only yourself, but also with life.

A couple of things:

Just to be clear, the true director of "The Hunger Games" was Gary Ross. The murderer's father was one of four or five "second unit" directors, which carries much less responsibility.

Second, any compassion I might have had for this boy's personal life was erased the moment he chose to kill. His video was bizarre, like a spoiled child saying that "If I can't have love, then no one will." I have nothing but contempt for this murderer's choice, and I don't see why his video link belongs in this forum. What can we learn from this? Don't murder people because you feel lonely? I think I got that already.

I don't feel sorry for him. I do feel bad for him..i don't know if thats the same thing. Part of me is like "****, couldn't someone just be his freakin friend!". IN NO WAY AM I EXCUSING HIS MASS MURDER PSYCHOPATHIC BEHAVIOR. Go back and look at my P.S.

TheRealCallie said:
Case said:
and I don't see why his video link belongs in this forum. What can we learn from this? Don't murder people because you feel lonely? I think I got that already.

I also agree with this....

Uh it was just to add a discussion...

jayme89 said:
I don't feel sorry for him. I do feel bad for him..i don't know if thats the same thing. Part of me is like "****, couldn't someone just be his freakin friend!". IN NO WAY AM I EXCUSING HIS MASS MURDER PSYCHOPATHIC BEHAVIOR. Go back and look at my P.S.

You typed the P.S. after I posted my comment. I don't feel bad for him in the slightest. He chose to murder people because he was lonely and jealous of the attention other men got from the women he prized. His decisions were psychotic. His video did not elicit any emotion from me but anger. I have no interest in delving into the psyche of this murderer.

Why did you feel it necessary to post a second video of this idiot?

Case said:
jayme89 said:

You typed the P.S. after I posted my comment. I don't feel bad for him in the slightest. He chose to murder people because he was lonely and jealous of the attention other men got from the women he prized. His decisions were psychotic. His video did not elicit any emotion from me but anger. I have no interest in delving into the psyche of this murderer.

Why did you feel it necessary to post a second video of this idiot?

"Maybe his loneliness, his isolation, could have been resolved if he stopped chasing after women of certain looks and focused more on the inner beauty? " ...trying to drive home a point here. Most men are perfectly decent individuals but only want what they "want" and think they "deserve" then claim their bitter and lonely. Well i'm a women on the opposite side of the spectrum who gets passed over by you men who only want one type of women. And thats ridiculous.

The second video you posted was just as rehearsed as the first.

IMO, he's nothing but a terrorist and nothing will ever made me feel bad or sorry for terrorists. Now, everyone will see him in the news and make whatever comment about him, but it's likely that you will hear very little about his victims. Stop making people like this important by giving them attention. (That's a general statement, not just aimed at the OP) Give the VICTIMS the attention and sympathy, they are the ones that deserve it.

Case said:
What can we learn from this? Don't murder people because you feel lonely? I think I got that already.

The only thing I feel can be learned from this man is how ridiculous some men look to the outside world when they are worshipping certain women and ideals of what a "good" life is. Why couldn't he give someone else a chance himself? Instead of begging the victoria secret models to look twice at him. Who's really in the wrong here? The outside world wasn't the problem he was the problem. He wanted what he felt he deserved based on societal standards and thus left him lonely and rejected. No, I don't feel sorry for him. Only feel he is an idiot psychopath and coward for turning the gun on himself.

TheRealCallie said:
The second video you posted was just as rehearsed as the first.

IMO, he's nothing but a terrorist and nothing will ever made me feel bad or sorry for terrorists. Now, everyone will see him in the news and make whatever comment about him, but it's likely that you will hear very little about his victims. Stop making people like this important by giving them attention. (That's a general statement, not just aimed at the OP) Give the VICTIMS the attention and sympathy, they are the ones that deserve it.

That wasn't my intention but whatever. Lets just get a moderator to just close this thread because I can see where this is about to go. My apologies for whoever is now offended. I was just trying to have a discussion about this guy in this video who shares many of the feelings many of YOU/WE talk about here all the time. Also wanted to add my commentary on how his expectations based on societal standards have led him into his OWN loneliness. At least thats what I think. But yeah. My bad if anyones offended. Trust me, I'll never post a thread here again

jayme89 said:
Most men are perfectly decent individuals but only want what they "want" and think they "deserve" then claim their bitter and lonely. Well i'm a women on the opposite side of the spectrum who gets passed over by you men who only want one type of women. And thats ridiculous.

Whatever you may feel about your own state of affairs, it cannot possibly be compared with that of a psychotic murderer with a revenge complex.

he was obviously very disturbed. I only feel sorry for his victims and their families !

Case said:
jayme89 said:
Most men are perfectly decent individuals but only want what they "want" and think they "deserve" then claim their bitter and lonely. Well i'm a women on the opposite side of the spectrum who gets passed over by you men who only want one type of women. And thats ridiculous.

Whatever you may feel about your own state of affairs, it cannot possibly be compared with that of a psychotic murderer with a revenge complex.

Ok so I'm a woman so no, I can't compare to this man who decided to kill the WOMEN who he felt "wronged" him. Nothing to do with me.

There are indeed a lot of men on this forum who are .. disappointed .. that they cannot find someone, and maybe chase after women who are wrong for them.

The big difference is that they haven't posted nasty videos and then taken a gun and decided to go and shoot a bunch of people because of it.

I doubt what he said was the whole reason for his actions. Just an excuse. A ridiculous, pathetic excuse.

jayme89 said:
Case said:

Ok so I'm a woman so no, I can't compare to this man who decided to kill the WOMEN who he felt "wronged" him. Nothing to do with me.

You miss my point. Are you planning to gun down men at a nearby college because you want humanity to pay with our "annihilation?" My guess is that you are not. That is why you cannot be compared with this kid. I am guessing that whatever pain you have experienced has not brought you to the point of murder.

You may feel anger or frustration at men and that would be understandable, given your comments. I feel compassion for YOU. But to discuss this kid in the Santa Barbara shooting (which is not very far from where I live,) and compare his plight to that of ANY of us who feel lonely and passed over by the opposite sex, I feel, gives unwarranted and unearned sympathy to a mass murderer.

Case said:
jayme89 said:
Case said:

You miss my point. Are you planning to gun down men at a nearby college because you want humanity to pay with our "annihilation?" My guess is that you are not. That is why you cannot be compared with this kid. I am guessing that whatever pain you have experienced has not brought you to the point of murder.

You may feel anger or frustration at men and that would be understandable, given your comments. I feel compassion for YOU. But to discuss this kid in the Santa Barbara shooting (which is not very far from where I live,) and compare his plight to that of ANY of us who feel lonely and passed over by the opposite sex, I feel, gives unwarranted and unearned sympathy to a mass murderer.

Ok great. Nice to know your opinion on the subject.

I'm lonely. I've been rejected a lot. I'm still a virgin .... but I don't feel like going out and killing anyone. Or even hurting anyone over it. Not even those who have rejected and hurt me.

I think he had deeper problems than just the loneliness and rejection. As someone else has said, they were just the excuse, not the reason.

But I also sort of fear that this will now place even more stigma on loneliness.

Cucuboth said:
I'm lonely. I've been rejected a lot. I'm still a virgin .... but I don't feel like going out and killing anyone. Or even hurting anyone over it. Not even those who have rejected and hurt me.

I think he had deeper problems than just the loneliness and rejection. As someone else has said, they were just the excuse, not the reason.

But I also sort of fear that this will now place even more stigma on loneliness.

I agree.

jaguarundi said:
There are indeed a lot of men on this forum who are .. disappointed .. that they cannot find someone, and maybe chase after women who are wrong for them.

The big difference is that they haven't posted nasty videos and then taken a gun and decided to go and shoot a bunch of people because of it.

I doubt what he said was the whole reason for his actions. Just an excuse. A ridiculous, pathetic excuse.

yes I agree and he was only 22 which is no age to be bitter about anything.

Case said:
I don't see why his video link belongs in this forum..

I don't see why it doesn't. Dude says he was lonely, this is a loneliness forum. It's one very extreme case of what loneliness can do to a person - even if he was using it as a scapegoat, that is his logic and it's relevant to this forum.

I can understand an amount of empathy for him, as I can for anyone who has ever felt alone, no matter what they decided to do about it. Anyone who has ever felt anything at all negative or unpleasant I have at least some empathy for. Of course this stops when they cross a line, but it's still there.

I don't see any harm in discussing this. When people go nuts and killa bunch of people it'll be talked about, you can't stop that ever. Yeah some killers get off on the fame and attention but no matter what we do in life people will find a way to be shitty to each other. How exactly do we give the victims rather useless "attention and sympathy" without also giving the killer attention? And what good will it do?

Also I'd like to be cheeky here and say

(To note, I'm FAR from being blonde haired, Caucasian, or blue eyed)

hi 2 u :D

I watched only the first minute of the video. He is a whiny faced egomaniac. I join with everybody else when I say that I feel no sorrow for somebody who would choose to actually harm others because of perceived societal rejection.

I feel generally rejected nowadays, felt rejected all my life, but I choose to just withdraw from people and seek ways to improve myself and change so as to try and gain more friendships and maybe even love someday. I admit that I had thought of what my life might have been like if I had harmed those who were supposed to love and support me in childhood but did the opposite, but I have never gone beyond wondering about it. To actually carry out such harm takes a state of mind I cannot begin to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back