No purpose/motivation to live

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewastelands

Reaction score
Ever since some years ago I've been feeling increasingly empty. Last year I came to the conclusion that everything is pointless and that life is just a random assortment of molecules with no other purpose than reproducing itself, which will one day be extinguished and the universe won't even notice. I feel lonely but not in the simple social way, but kind of alone in the universe.
I've always been isolated and really I'm fine with that and I don't want to be with other people. But I still feel empty and modern city life sickens me. I admire hermits and it's a lifestyle I would really like but unfortunately I don't think I'd last a day alone, because of the food that is.
Then I thought about monastic life, which would be perfect to me since I am quiet and I could say I'm an ascetic,... except for the religious part. All my pathetic attempts of converting to Christianity have been doomed by my **** rationality. Every time I tried, I internally thought 'seriously?...religion?'. I wish I had the ability to believe, the people who do always have someone to turn to, or at least they believe they do.
I'm in my second year of college but I don't care about my career and I'm just passing because of inertia you know. What I would need is what some would call 'spiritual growth' I guess or actually anything to live for. I'm currently not suicidal, but very apathetic towards everything. As I've said, I can't find any reason to live or extend my life. I'm not interested in anything actually and every day is so **** boring.

Finding purpose/meaning in life can be very difficult, especially given that there is no inherent purpose/meaning in life - we each have to make our own meaning. It is a daunting task, no doubt, but unfortunately that is the way it must be - and probably how it should be. How much more rewarding would it be to have your own purpose/meaning and live that out? Seems like it would be pretty rewarding. Do you have any passion in life? If so, make that your purpose - whether it is something 'noble' like feeding the hungry, helping the poor, fighting diseases or something 'less meaningful' like always being the best dressed, being a sex god, reading all the Junie B. Jones books, etc. Hell, pick as many as you want.

If spirituality is what you crave - but you can't deal with the dogma related to most religions - I would suggest giving Buddhism a try. It is a godless religion that actually has some science backing in some aspects. Stephen Batchelor has a book "Buddhism without Beliefs" that is pretty good. If you want a copy, I can mail it to you.

I thought about recomending buddhism when I read your post then I saw that VeganAtheist had beaten me to it:) It might help you a lot.

The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of it is to give it away.
I really think everyone has ever something they always dreamed of, even the most of the deppressed people. Me for example. I really have social issues and all those shits but I've always dreamt of having my own life, my own payday, my own house, that's my goal in life (or at least one of the)
Hope it helps

thewastelands said:
Ever since some years ago I've been feeling increasingly empty. Last year I came to the conclusion that everything is pointless and that life is just a random assortment of molecules with no other purpose than reproducing itself, which will one day be extinguished and the universe won't even notice.

This is true. I don't really agree with the reproducing part though, many people thankfully don't feel this incessant need to breed like the majority do. I think for those people the purpose is to enjoy other things in life through our senses - see films, hear music, smell and taste good food and drink. Buy yourself a camera and get out the house on your own and take photographs of what the fresia ever... sunsets, countryside, urban decay, abandoned buildings, violence, concerts, parties, dead animals... really anything. I'm sure you could learn to see beauty in anything you photograph, even (or especially) in the middle of an existential crisis.

thewastelands,

This thread is akin to one I was thinking of starting sometime in the future, but I was not sure how it would go over. My viewpoint about this touches on some personal areas, not so much for me but for others here maybe, and I do not want to offend. I want to express my respect for everybody here even though I may disagree on certain basic issues with some; I'm sure this is true for everybody.

I am firmly convinced that any true fulfillment we are searching for can be found only in finding our purpose for existing, and I am firmly convinced that our purpose for existing is tied to the One who created us. I know that not everybody here believes in God, you seem to have concluded that He does not exist, but I do believe, even if I am a failure at following Him. I cannot find this fulfillment simply because I do not want what He wants for me. I wanted a normal life complete with wife and children to share my heart with, but I have been relegated to loneliness (some of that is through a few poor choices of my own, made in ignorance, but still...). Thus, I am in open rebellion (the church I helped with teaching in the past is trying to get me to come back; they can't understand why I left).

But, that is just me. Such a concept as this has to be a personal decision for each person, including you. I want to be faithful to God, I just don't want to be around others in some church building because it hurts to see the happy couples and families going around all smiles and glad handing. I can't listen to any more leaders talking about how they could not "make it" without their spouses, and then I am expected to succeed without one. I don't want to hear another lesson about how to have successful marriages and to raise children when I know I am going to live and die alone. While I have a problem with the direction God seems to have put me in (no doubt I am suffering some of the consequences of my own poor choices), my main problem is with the people.

I am not sure if my advice, as poorly given and demonstrated by me as it is, is anything you or anybody else wants to hear. Just because I am choosing to not follow it does not mean somebody else can't. Some people do seek out and live for God and are very content in life. As for how to get into specifics, I know that publicly on this site is probably a no-no (I hope my sharing up to this point is not one). In any case, these are my general thoughts about purpose and motivation.

Let me share this one specific thought. In my personal studies I had to conclude that one basic purpose God has for all people is to serve others in need (poor, hurting, weak, lonely, rejected, etc.). In all my life I have found no other fulfilling career than the one I found where I can help people who have developmental disabilities. Now I have a very fulfilling job where I feel like I have actually helped people who need it. While this job does not help with the loneliness, it gives a measure of general satisfaction.

All I can say is look out for opportunities to do something different that may end up bringing you some joy in your daily life. A career opportunity perhaps or some other activity that exposes you to people and places you have not been around before. Who knows, right?

You were created by Someone, only makes sense you should find your purpose by communing with that Someone and following his moral code.

Batman55 said:
You were created by Someone, only makes sense you should find your purpose by communing with that Someone and following his moral code.

...he should commune with his dad and follow his moral code?

I can fully understand that feeling. I agree that there really seems like no reason or purpose for our existence. I think part of the problem is that 'survival' is too easy now. In my opinion, cities are desperate places. Living in a city one is too far removed from our roots, the soil, nature, working your muscles to survive. All things 'real'.
I don't believe in the concept of a 'creator'. - I do think that our only reason to exist is to survive, and reproduce. The meaning or historical system of both of these things has been badly distorted with the frantic pace of development in recent years.
Have you tried getting out into the country and experiencing 'real' life?
There is a growing interest in living in a more natural way. There are places where you can go to live and learn about countryside things and more traditional ways of life.
It may not be the answer to everything, but I might rekindle a little of your interest in living.

Feeling emtpy is caused by cumulative loneliness in which one develops a feeling of lack of purpose in life and goal. When you're around people, conversation will flow and you you feel so busy that you don't notice time passing or life's meaninglessness. Overthinking things and getting philosophal might also makes you end up in a feeling of emptiness. I don't belong to any religion actually, but I believe ethere is a God, creator of everything who made hapiness possible and easily reachable, but people with their evil nature and selfishness turned this life into a struggle for survival and money. That made it so false and gray, where souls are errant spirits with nothing else in mind than having more than others do and showing off

VeganAtheist said:
Batman55 said:

Religious talk is not generally tolerated on this forum.. so I used "Someone" instead of that 3-letter word you know I'm alluding too, starts with "G."

Perhaps I should have used "Supreme Being," the creator of life the universe and all, etc etc, maybe that is allowed..?

Batman55 said:
VeganAtheist said:
Batman55 said:

Religious talk is not generally tolerated on this forum.. so I used "Someone" instead of that 3-letter word you know I'm alluding too, starts with "G."

Perhaps I should have used "Supreme Being," the creator of life the universe and all, etc etc, maybe that is allowed..?

I don't think the issue is the name of which you call your "God", rather that you are talking about it at all, and telling this person that this is what people should do. To say God, Supreme Being, or anything else along those lines in a sentence such as the one you wrote doesn't change what you're actually saying at all. The word "God" is not banned, but I think talking about religion is.

Personally I think you should be free to talk about it but some people can't play nice so, yeah. Although maybe it is slightly offensive how you assume that because you believe in God, then that's how the world was made and that everyone else should believe too.

It could be slightly more avoidable, just like with the men vs women threads we have, where if people were to just put "some men/women do this really stupid thing where..." infront of their generalisation, it saves a lot of users getting redbutt about it. If you were to put for example "I believe that everyone was created by someone, only makes sense you should find your purpose by communing with that Someone and following his moral code." Then I find the statement a lot less aggressive, like you are offering some advice from your perspective, instead of telling the OP how the world was made, where we all came from and how we should follow a code which was written long ago that, for the most part I think is great, but weren't we taught from the followers of this code, if not the code itself, that homosexuals are going to burn in Hell for eternity? If the OP was a homosexual he may not want to follow this code or have anything to do with it.

So I think a few extra words can make a lot of difference in impact.

painter said:
Then I find the statement a lot less aggressive, like you are offering some advice from your perspective, instead of telling the OP how the world was made, where we all came from and how we should follow a code which was written long ago that, for the most part I think is great, but weren't we taught from the followers of this code, if not the code itself, that homosexuals are going to burn in Hell for eternity? If the OP was a homosexual he may not want to follow this code or have anything to do with it.

So I think a few extra words can make a lot of difference in impact.

Sure, I could have softened the statement to make it more agreeable and such, but I definitely feel a kind of righteous power in using a definitive statement--as in, I know I'm right, you know you're wrong (if you don't believe) etc etc.

I'm also on the far Right, and therefore believe these things go together: the Good Book defines the optimal moral code, climate change is false, and you can ignore or skirt any kind of morality so long as money-making is involved, etc etc.

:D

I feel the same. Though maybe that a pointless collection of molecules could find existence pointless, conceive of, and require a more meaningful, subjective value to make life worth living(something which is completely unnecessary for further reproduction), indicates that the collection of molecules itself, has transcended aimless reproduction. Maybe the answer is the question.

Latest posts

Back