Does it seem to you that we're like characters in a play?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alonewith2cats

Reaction score
We all have our own made up user names and our own characters and I believe we do come across as very theatrical in our threads and it's an ongoing story. Only we're not actors, it's all based on our real lives. And we're all an audience and well as real performers and we all stay tuned to what happens next.

I believe we are often actors in our real lives as well. A person who has a job as a cook, acts as a cook. He might say or do thinks he would not do at home, where he acts as father, for his 6 year old daughter. She acts as a student when she goes to school, and acts as a younger sibling when argueing with her older brother. This older brother, being 15 years old, acts as a rebellious teen.

I guess the question would be what the fundemental base is of personality and life phases. And to sketch a clear line between those. It may not be pure acting in the tradional sense, but we're still acting in a certain way. The internet is actually good evidence for this, as the majority has more space to act stupidly on the internet, because it's anonymous. It's also a welcoming place for those "stupid thoughts" that everyone has once in a while, and keep to themselves in real life.

As a result, this acting takes a more prevelant role on the forum here, or any forum for that matter. Theoratically speaking. As you say, here you have the user names as well that can add to the acting. Of course the "act" focusses more, and only, on what we choose to share here. I might act like a whiner by posting many threads where i whine, but in real life i might be a balanced person.

Yes, it does. This reminds of me of the monologue from Shakespeare's As You Like It.

When I was 18 I had to partake in a play we did in English class. Afterwards we had to write a short commentary about the acting experience, standing on a stage and all that. Mine was a rather depressing one titled 'All the world is a stage' which dealt with the aftermath of the play. We were a team for the moment, but everybody returned to his regular role in real life afterwards, playing his/her part as usual...that's just how it is.

To add up to the irony, I had to play Shakespeare himself in one scene of that play. Why me...the most quiet person with the least amount of self-conscience.

Oh yes, Alonewith2cats! You described that brilliantly and I often think it. <3

Latest posts

Back