Fitting in in the year 2014

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnny196775

Things seemed to have changed a lot since the 70s when i started drinking and went into my 30 year or so drunken coma. I have recently woken up and found that I feel lost amongst people other than my fiance. Okay anyway here is my question.

Do i need to watch the news or try to find out what is going on in the real world in order to have things to talk about?

I am very sorry if this is too strange.

And thank you. :)

johnny196775 said:
Do i need to watch the news or try to find out what is going on in the real world in order to have things to talk about?

Only if you want to be depressed IMO. I guess you should be aware generally, but it's always doom and gloom.

Oh and they made some new Star Wars movies, but the originals are still better so thats kinda optional!

Edward W said:
Only if you want to be depressed IMO. I guess you should be aware generally, but it's always doom and gloom.

Oh and they made some new Star Wars movies, but the originals are still better so thats kinda optional!

I agree on the news part. The news is all doom and gloom, and it's the kind of doom and gloom stuff that you can't even do anything about anyway. To be interesting, well, I don't know because I'm not very interesting myself. I imagine you have to read more, fiction and nonfiction. Watch movies - again, fiction, documentary, history, whatever. And you have to do things. You play guitar. I think that's pretty interesting. Do you just play covers, or have you ever composed original songs?

johnny196775 said:

In a word? Yes. It's always best to be informed about the things that are happening in the world, but you don't have to be an expert on everything. Skim the headlines every day. It takes 2 minutes. Also, don't be afraid to say you don't know about a news story. If someone is passionate enough about it, they will tell you all you need to know.

Also, (and I say this knowing that some people would be highly opposed to this,) try and know a bit about celebrity gossip and what's happening in pop culture. This is a gold mine of small-talk opportunities because people love to see celebrities in relationships, getting into trouble, and it's an easy way to start a conversation. You don't have to know Katy Perry's entire dating history, but knowing the latest story on her, or any high-profile celebrity, will be good for light conversation.

For example, last night, the CW Network (in America,) had their own awards show called "Young Hollywood Awards" where a bunch of people got awards for being in films or TV or being You Tube celebrities. On the show, which airs tonight actually (Monday,) Justin Beiber was given an award for being (shockingly) a "Champ Of Charity." Knowing this, you could start a conversation with someone you know who loves gossip magazines by saying, "Did you hear that Justin Beiber just got an award for his charity work? After all the trouble he's gotten into lately, doesn't this smell of a desperate celebrity retooling his image?" And people will chime in with their own, passionate opinions.

Keeping yourself aware of what's happening in the world, either in the military, or in politics, or in entertainment, will help you become a well-rounded conversationalist.

Fitting in is highly over-rated, I kind of prefer swimming against the current myself.

Is there anyparticular issue /any country or part of the world which interests you more than others? If so, you could read up on it.

WildernessWildChild said:
Fitting in is highly over-rated, I kind of prefer swimming against the current myself.

I have to agree with this. (hush, WWC :club: )

Why do you have to fit in? Life shouldn't be about conforming to every else. Life should be lived for yourself and the people you care about and those who care about you.
Now, don't get me wrong, yes, you should always try to meet new people, but if they can't accept you, as you are, they aren't worth having in your life to begin with.
However, you could always try a new hobby, something you are at least mildly interested in, but haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet. :)

TheRealCallie said:
WildernessWildChild said:

I have to agree with this. (hush, WWC :club: )

I am SOOOOOOO marking this one on the calendar :p

*fistpump*

If being me means having no friends then that is the way it is. I do not want to try to be something i am not. Thank you for the advice. And have a nice day everyone. :D

Ummm... People who call themselves my friends, they're freaking crazies & nuts, too... So I guess I fit in just fine... Or is it, they fit in with me...(?) No wonder I don't have too many friends... There can't be that many people who are screwed as I am...!!!

Latest posts

Back