Little vent about supid questions & actions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
I work at a retail store... I constantly run into people asking stupid questions... I know I have my moments but I'm talking about stuff that makes you really think... Like this one guy who bought a rechargeable batteries & yells at me because it didn't work right out of package when he took it home... I told him, "You know you have to charge these before using them..." And the guy thought I was trying to get smart with him... One lady thought she had electric range because hers plugged in... Well, she had gas range... Yeah, her clock & timer & ignition worked off of electricity hence why she had to plug it in but when you turn the knob & it makes few clicking noise then blue flames shoots out of the burner, then yeah, you have a gas range... I was at a grocery store & saw a sign that said, "Buy one at regular price & get 2nd one at 1/2 price"... One woman didn't understand why she couldn't just get one at a 1/2 price & kept pointing at the sign & saying, "It says I get one at 1/2 price"... I get a phone call... He asks, "Yeah, I saw an item on your website... Do you have it in your store?"... When I told him no, he asked me why the website says it's "available"... Then he goes on to say, "It says online order only & says available for shipping immediately"... Yeah, that means it's available "on line only" & not in stores...

List goes on & on but guess I'll stop now... Just wanted to vent a little cause today seems to be one of those days, again...!!!

Lol I know the feeling. When I was teaching before this, I deal with a lot of "duh" questions from my students and their parents too. One thing I've learnt from that job, is that never assume people know what you think they know - you won't end up feeling too surprised or frustrated dealing with them. Has helped me take it easy with this since.

This reminds me of the technical support line which had people phoning up asking which was the 'any' key on their keyboards as some procedures told them to 'press any key.'

Haha, accept that some people are not switched on. Also a lot of people are actually just lazy and instead of seeking the answer out themselves find it easier to simply ask someone else.

Tiina63 said:
This reminds me of the technical support line which had people phoning up asking which was the 'any' key on their keyboards as some procedures told them to 'press any key.'

That's kinda funny.. hehe.

9006 said:
Haha, accept that some people are not switched on. Also a lot of people are actually just lazy and instead of seeking the answer out themselves find it easier to simply ask someone else.

That's probably true too.

I'm constantly reminded of one of the stand up comedian... His name is Bill Engvall & he does this thing with "Here's your sign"... "I locked myself out of the car so I was trying to pick the lock with a coat hanger & someone asks, hey, did you lock your keys in the car? So I said, Nope...!!! Jut got my car washed & I'm trying to hang it up to dry for a while... Here's your sign!!!"... That's one of my favorite line of his... Sometimes I just wanna look at a person & tell'em, "Here's your sign!!!" & see what the reaction would be...

sk66rc said:
I'm constantly reminded of one of the stand up comedian... His name is Bill Engvall & he does this thing with "Here's your sign"... "I locked myself out of the car so I was trying to pick the lock with a coat hanger & someone asks, hey, did you lock your keys in the car? So I said, Nope...!!! Jut got my car washed & I'm trying to hang it up to dry for a while... Here's your sign!!!"... That's one of my favorite line of his... Sometimes I just wanna look at a person & tell'em, "Here's your sign!!!" & see what the reaction would be...

I must admit I don't think that someone asking such a question is necessarily stupid... but perhaps unsure what to say. I ask obvious questions a lot, too... so.. :p

Batman55 said:
sk66rc said:

I must admit I don't think that someone asking such a question is necessarily stupid... but perhaps unsure what to say. I ask obvious questions a lot, too... so.. :p

Like any stand up comedian, I guess he has a way of exaggerating things to make it funny... How's that old saying go? "There's no stupid people, just stupid questions"...

I always get a good laugh reading product reviews on Amazon bashing an item or seller because their own inability to operate or use a product correctly. Retail workers get the brunt of stupidity and ignorance that the general public has to offer. It's that "me" attitude and insatiable need to have everything now, coupled with their newfound ability to not use their brains because technology takes the need away. I swear things were never this bad before...I've met some people who I've wondered how they've gotten so far through life without accidentally killing themselves just living their daily lives.

Sometimes I wonder how society functions at all. It seems so surreal.

My theory is this: quiet awhile ago, our industrial civilization began to become too successful for our own good. The fossil fuel powered machines started doing most of the work. And because we stopped doing work and became so comfortable with all sorts of gadgets and entertainments, we are losing the ability to use language, to have coherent and logical thoughts, to be able to form a multistep plan and make it happen.

So even as our society is seemingly at peak, the reality is that we are supporting so many people who in earlier times would have been eaten by the first lion that came their way.

lonelydoc said:
So even as our society is seemingly at peak, the reality is that we are supporting so many people who in earlier times would have been eaten by the first lion that came their way.

Which doesn't necessarily exclude yourself, or anyone else, for that matter... :p

lonelydoc said:
My theory is this: quiet awhile ago, our industrial civilization began to become too successful for our own good. The fossil fuel powered machines started doing most of the work. And because we stopped doing work and became so comfortable with all sorts of gadgets and entertainments, we are losing the ability to use language, to have coherent and logical thoughts, to be able to form a multistep plan and make it happen.

Or you could say the opposite; a reduction in the need for manual labour forces people into other sorts of jobs that should in theory require greater communication and critical thinking skills.
Regarding stupid questions, without doubt some people are carried by the rest of society, but others are just out of step.

Of course it could be the case that the shy, sensitive cave persons sitting on their own by the campfire would be the ones to get picked off by the lions? And the muscle bound hairy arsed thicko cave persons in a grunting group by the bowl of fermented bat urine, might actually be the ones who would manage to escape lion mastication?

Possibly by throwing the shy sensitive cave person to said lion? Or at any rate, by being able to run faster....

Latest posts

Back