Do you consider yourself a strong person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FPL2014

Reaction score
I was just yesterday having a conversation about extreme metal with an acquaintance...the usual honeysuckle when one of the two guys like "soft" music and consider extreme metal to be "random noise" and the other tries to explain that his friend simply doesnt "get" heavy music.

I ended up arguing him that extreme metal is a genre for strong minds, people who are able to deal with the darker aspects of life, which are the themes of extreme metal bands.

No turning this point to the general posts you make here on ALL, do you think you are generally able to accept such dreary things as solitude, loneliness, with a clear, sane mind? Do you think you tend to 'run' from scary thoughts and ideas with the help of self-indulgence? Do you find comfort in the idea of being "the only one in the world" who faces ingratitude, lack of comprehension, solitude, and so on?

Or are you strong enough to accept life as it is, when solitude is a universal rule and friendship, companionship and even truthfulness are rare gems very very hard to find in a single lifetime??

The argument you had with your friend is an interesting one, I don't agree with your analysis that heavy metal is for strong minds. I've always enjoyed heavy metal/ death metal I listened to it a lot more when I was in a darker place and wasn't as strong as I am now. When I listen to metal now it's more of nostalgic look back of my teens.
Sometimes heavy metal is just not people's taste.
I know I'm a strong person, even in my darkest moments I was strong enough to continue living, when I tell people how I grew up I normally get the response 'how are you not messed up?' Because that would be so easy and deep down I know I was lucky even when things were honeysuckle!
I could live my life alone, never falling in love, living in solitude!
It wouldn't be a happy life but I know I'm strong enough to do it! Everyone has there moments in life where they feel weak but I believe most people at their core are strong.

I've worked with bloody meat, seen corpses, survived a dysfunctional childhood, lost a friend to suicide, and overcome shyness and anxiety, and I don't like extreme metal.

I don't think I have endured enough 'punishments' in life to rightfully call myself a strong person. And I don't even consider solitude/loneliness as a punishment anymore. Maybe that's the reason why I kept my sanity. At least I know how to look strong when the need arises.

But I don't think it really matters. Both the weak and the strong are ultimately united in death...

I would never draw a line between musical taste and strength of the mind or body though. I enjoy Synthie-Pop and classical music just as much as abrasive No-Wave music and Abstract Industrial...depends on the current mood.

FPL2014 said:
Or are you strong enough to accept life as it is, when solitude is a universal rule and friendship, companionship and even truthfulness are rare gems very very hard to find in a single lifetime??

nonono, my little friend. Friendship is everywhere, friendship is magic!

[video=youtube]

Depends how you define strong. I'm weak and pathetic because I've had to fight against things that most people don't have to deal with. Ghosts and demons (metaphorically) and other things that don't really exist. I doubt that I'm the only one here who's had to fight against depression, you feel like you're just fighting air, it's not real but it takes effort, the thing about running just to stand still. The strength it's taken not to just give up.

I do consider myself resilient and persistent. but also complacent. Or else I would be quite a over-achiever.. Without going into personal details.

I really doubt heavy music fans are particularly 'strong minded' a lot of them I know personally are pretty dingy.

I like all kinds of tunes. I was a big metal-head as a teenager. A lot of it I can't really stand anymore. Or I'm more discriminatory with my heavy music selection. The subject matter of the music, whether or not sounds like every other band, the vocalist isn't too obnoxious etc.

Strength doesn't have anything to do with the music we like.
Strength is not defined by the amount of dark things we enjoy in our entertainment.
Strength is defined by how we live, how we react, and how often we rise when we fall.

EDIT: I like some heavy metal, but I never saw it as a definition of my strength.

Peter.EU said:
nonono, my little friend. Friendship is everywhere, friendship is magic!

[video=youtube]

+1 unicorns!!

Case said:
EDIT: I like some heavy metal, but I never saw it as a definition of my strength.

I was gonna mention this earlier in my post but meh. Just don't feel like it.
I like listening to some metal music sometimes.. but I'm not a very hardcore person lol.

I listened almost exclusively to Heavy/Thrash/Death/Grindcore music during my teenage years and early 20s. I spent a lot of my time reading about satanism and serial killers. I watched loads of Italian, Spanish, HK and Japanese gore flicks.

I had hair down to my waist and I looked like a psycho. Almost everyone I knew thought I was dangerous.

I'm about as dangerous as a sack of bunnies. I dislike conflict and I'd rather everyone was nice to one another. I save flies/moths/spiders etc. I've also spent most of my life giving up whenever things got tough. I wouldn't say I was a strong person at the time - I'd say I was an immature one.

Your taste in music has, in my opinion, absolutely nothing to do with whether you're a strong person or not.

'True strength is keeping everything together when everyone else expects you to fall apart...'

Latest posts

Back