I don't like people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stork_error

Reaction score
There are things I don't like about human beings. I feel like an alien. I feel that I think so greatly differently than most people, that I cant relate to anyone.
Im alone by choice though Im not terribly lonely, but I'm definitely starved for a mental connection with somebody. Anybody feel like this? Like an alien?

I have felt like an alien for many years, so you are not alone. I think part of it is that people generally put on a social mask when they meet others, and don't let people see what it behind the mask. We tend to believe what other people show us of themselves and as most people hide their insecurites, loneliness and pain, we assume that they ARE the competant and happy mask which they are wearing.

Tiina63 said:
I have felt like an alien for many years, so you are not alone. I think part of it is that people generally put on a social mask when they meet others, and don't let people see what it behind the mask. We tend to believe what other people show us of themselves and as most people hide their insecurites, loneliness and pain, we assume that they ARE the competant and happy mask which they are wearing.

Very true, and even more so with social media

But then why doesnt the rest of the population feel like an alien? Nobody i know has ever expressed this same feeling to me

stork_error said:
Tiina63 said:

But then why doesnt the rest of the population feel like an alien? Nobody i know has ever expressed this same feeling to me

The problem is (IMO) that people are too busy trying to follow along and fit in with everyone else, that they don't realize they are different.
I wouldn't say I feel like an alien, but I do understand what you mean. I don't follow the norm, I don't follow just to be included. I'm perfectly content with being myself. Even if that means no one gives me a chance and a lot of people misinterpret what I say and do to benefit themselves and make me out to be the bad influence or the bad person.

Personally, it's helpful, as it weeds out those I wouldn't want in my life anyway.

TheRealCallie said:
stork_error said:
Tiina63 said:

The problem is (IMO) that people are too busy trying to follow along and fit in with everyone else, that they don't realize they are different.
I wouldn't say I feel like an alien, but I do understand what you mean. I don't follow the norm, I don't follow just to be included. I'm perfectly content with being myself. Even if that means no one gives me a chance and a lot of people misinterpret what I say and do to benefit themselves and make me out to be the bad influence or the bad person.

Personally, it's helpful, as it weeds out those I wouldn't want in my life anyway.

and then the weeds are gone and the garden is empty lol

I don't feel like an alien so to speak, but I never felt I belonged in society. I don't like the society in which I live. I hate that people won't accept that I love being alone, that being with my bf is all I need, I hate forced social situations, I find them totally exhausting and I prefer the solitude of my home in the woods. I'm not into anything modern really, although I do appreciate the internet, I'm not into social media either. I guess I'm old fashioned and don't really fit into the modern world!

I'm vegan, environmentalist, I believe in some conspiracy theory. Like once I dreamed that our government was trying to poison us through food to solve overpopulation issue.

Yes I'm crazy, yes I feel like an alien, so what?
Come put me a straitjacket or leave me alone, living the way I think life should be lived. In harmony with my mind and everything around us, such as plants, trees, water, animals, etc.

People disgust me. Specially when they talk about nothing, or gossip about someone. When they think they are the master of the world, when the reality is, if we send them in a wild forest, they couldn't survive 1 day. When they are 24/24h on their cellphone, not talking to anyone around them, like freaking zombies, even at restaurent with their family with them.

There is so much more to say about what I hate bout people.

But there is also some stuff I love about them.
To describe what it is, just imagine a thousand image per minutes, showing pictures about loves, compassion, freedom, happiness, empathy, and much more.

I don't like the effects insatiable greed has on the world. I don't like the people who know they have something that you need and/or want to the point that it is basically a need....I don't mean toys here, I mean things that are pretty much essentials....and these people know what they have and they use that to just bleed you. Like, they could sell it to you fairly, but no, they have to gouge you into the ground. I hate that. I know the answer people usually give to that is just "work harder/smarter" and while I'd say that's true in the case of something like wanting a bigger house or a newer or fancier car, I wouldn't say that's true at all for something like medical care. If you don't have money you don't get access to the best services. To me, that's horrible and the ones who make it that way are horrible. There may not be enough McMansions and Corvettes for everyone, but I do feel that everyone at least deserves their health.

Then there is the certain type of people I don't like at all. I'm talking about the "tough guys", the "rebels", the posturing douchebags. I hate them because no matter how shallow or stupid they are, they still get a free pass from the world, especially with women. Their image and "badass" status is valued higher than whether or not they are a good person. I hate these people and wish I or someone could put them in their place.

But as far as most people go, I find that it's not so much I dislike them as I'm just disinterested. It's like, how I look on the dating sites, for example. I see page after page of women who all they really do is go to their job and then go to the bar to watch the big game or go home to the couch and watch their favorite TV show. I feel like they don't have anything uncommon or unique about them because there are so many whose interests are pretty much the same thing. It's not even that I dislike their interests either - I can see the appeal of sports or of shows, but I just don't watch them myself. But anyway, yea. I don't even know what I'd talk about to such a person. We have nothing to build a conversational foundation on.

I've always felt a little 'different' to others, I'm comfortable with being who I am, knowing that I don't have to conform to other peoples beliefs in order to have a place in the world.
I find it's possible to accept other people as they are, & have respect for their ideals & beliefs.

I don't generally find social situations difficult, I'm happy to talk to most people about their interests & experiences, I do find it difficult, however, if I find myself in a room full of women that only want to talk about babies & washing powder.

I've been a black sheep most of my life. Doesn't bother me though because I realize now that's just how my life is. I will always see things differently. Some people are just the muse and the artist, and there's no getting around that.

Nope, I feel exactly the same way.

I think it's also a big part of depression. I'm not diagnosing you, but I certainly have it and it's a characteristic of it.

Life blows. Can't wait to die.

I feel the same way as you do. I understand what you mean. I have seriously often considered that maybe I'm an alien. I think differently than most people. I also hate socializing these past few years. I have different interests than most people around me. I hate how most people are materialistic, and how they're portraying a different image of theirselves on social media. I want something real, something simple. I guess the world is just changing. Though I grew to hate people, I still want to find at least one person I can truly connect with.

I don't like people either, stork_error.

I often look at people my own age (twenty plus) and wonder if I'm some kind of genetic aberration. Everyone seems to be leading blunted, distracted lives, enslaved to smartphones and social media and blatant consumerism without any kind of guiding principles or codes of behaviour.

lifestream said:

I often look at people my own age (twenty plus) and wonder if I'm some kind of genetic abberation. Everyone seems to be leading blunted, distracted lives, enslaved to smartphones and social media and blatant consumerism without any kind of guiding principles or codes of behaviour.

Yay. I'm not alone.

Damrod said:
lifestream said:

I often look at people my own age (twenty plus) and wonder if I'm some kind of genetic abberation. Everyone seems to be leading blunted, distracted lives, enslaved to smartphones and social media and blatant consumerism without any kind of guiding principles or codes of behaviour.

Yay. I'm not alone.

"genetic abberation "
I've actually described it as "mutated", sort of like a bacteria does, and suddenly the new species is just a little different than the colony which surrounds it, having different behaviors, needs and relationships.

Me too. I don't know if you have seen "Ghost World" but the Seymore says I don't relate to 99% of people. That is me.

- I hate sports.
- I hate drinking

This alone wipes out 99% of what other people like and want to do. Also, what gets me is that they absolutely refuse to do anything else. I seriously wonder if there isn't some disease that we don't know anything about that turns people into sports / drinking losers... like zombies.

That's a really interesting way of putting it, stork_error. Did you have a particularly difficult childhood and/or adolescence? I did, and I think that it changed me on some kind of deep mental or cellular level. I feel like it gave an almost preternaturally keen perception of humans. I very much still try to form connections with people but I find that my initial impressions about them are usually quite correct. Maybe that's why we don't like people? Because we can peel back the curtain a little bit and what we see disgusts or depresses us.

Ghost World is one of my favourite films. :) I think I'm more like a male Enid, though.

It disheartens me sometimes how true to life that film is. :/

LonelySutton said:
- I hate sports.
- I hate drinking

This alone wipes out 99% of what other people like and want to do. Also, what gets me is that they absolutely refuse to do anything else. I seriously wonder if there isn't some disease that we don't know anything about that turns people into sports / drinking losers... like zombies.

You know, I found that this was accurate when I lived in the city. It was a pub/bar culture...that's all people did was get together at pubs/bars and watch hockey all winter and baseball all summer. I did that as well when I was younger, but as I got older, I found that was all a waste of time. When I moved away from the city, I started to appreciate nature more, and when I got rid of my television/cable, I started to read more and play parlor games. But these things are kind of kith and kin with living in the woods I think, at least for me that's how it progressed.

I still enjoy wine and spirits though, but it's more of an appreciation now than a race to get drunk and act like a fool. I don't have friends, but my bf does and when he invites them over, our main activities are going to the lake, building campfires, having a nice dinner and talking outside watching the stars at night. We couldn't do all that in the city. But I know that these days we are in the minority.

We invited his younger sibling over for a week, she lives in another country so she was happy to visit us. The entire week she was glued to her smart phone...she even gave up swimming in the lake to stay home, smoke and drink rum and cokes. In most cases...not all...I think age/maturity has a lot to do with what activities people find attractive.

Not really XD. Here in Quebec, old or young, they all love beers and hockey (99%). I'm the 1% who hate sports and alcohol. When people talk, I'm never in the conversation cus it's always about party and hockey.

I've began college since 2 weeks. I noticed, everyone is on their smartphone, even while teacher is speaking. I'm probably the 1% again who don't have a cellphone. It's a waste of money and time if you want my opinion.

So yeah, I don't have any friends in this world.

Latest posts

Back