Trying to make friends (advice desired)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyBoy

Reaction score
Welp, another year is here and I've once again worked up the force of will to to make another (likely futile) attempt to form relationships outside of my immediate family again. I was hoping somebody here might have some advice on a few issues I've had in the past.

1. People have told me that the best way to make friends is by joining clubs, but I've had a few problems in the past. First, I don't have...deep interests. What I mean to say is, I like things like Anime, Video Games, and Music, but I like very specific and sometimes obscure examples for each. In Video Games, for instance, I don't particularly care Shooters or Nintendo Game, I like Bioware RPGs and strategy games. A Video Game club would likely be more generalized, and to relate to anybody there I'd probably have to have a wide knowledge of everything Video Games. I don't know, should I just pick a specific interest and then research it to the point that I know everything about it? Should I fake interest in mainstream thiings so that I can talk to people?

2. I'm in my senior year of College ( I know, how pathetic is that, a 21 year old without any friends :p ) and I'm wondering if I should join a club at school even though I'm only going to be there for a year longer. Should I just stick to outside clubs, even if they're harder to find?

3. Is it a good idea to join a club based on a hobby you don't know much about, but would like to know more about? For instance, I've thought about joining a local hiking club, because I enjoy hiking around the mountains, but I'm far from an outdoors man with intimate knowledge of nature and such.

4. After you join a club, where do you go from there? Two years ago I joined a reading club on my campus and, while I liked the group and they seemed to like me okay, I never made any friends there. Typically I'd spend the meetings sitting quietly at the table, occasionally making jokes at opportune moments, which usually got a good laugh.

I think that it would be a good idea to join a club at college despite your only having one year to go. It will help your social skills in a safe environment and may lead to friendships.
Joining a club based on a hobby you don't know much about but would like to know more about is a good idea as well. Most people like to share/display their knowledge with a beginner and, by asking questions, you will come into conversation with people and might find a friend or two.
I understand your fourth point though. Although joining things may lead to friendship, there is no guarantee. I go to some groups and while I get on generally with the people, I would say that most of them were 'group friends' only and that if I left the groups, contact would be lost. I have made one or two friends through groups, but for for the number of groups I have been to and the ammount of time I have gone to them, if I had gone there solely looking for friends to meet up with outside of the groups, I would be disappointed. If you can, I think it is best not to go to groups with any great expectations of finding true friends. Choose activities you enjoy and see what happens.

Just try to act like everyone else while stifling all that is unique about you and you're sure to make friends.

Joining clubs sounds like it might work but seems like you might have to force it a little. I worked at a sub sandwich shop just off campus for over 4 years during college and even though I'm quiet I made tons of friends through work. Also played basketball at the gym and met people that way. Just things that worked for me. I also drank a good amount in those years which wasn't healthy but helped with the meeting people thing.

I think you are making a lot of pre requisites before joining a club.

You don't have to be expert at anything to join a club you are interested in...just join!

The more often you go the better the chance at making a friend and forming connections. However, I would go in with the attitude of having FUN and enjoying the activity as the first goal with connecting with others the second (have it come naturally).

Join the clubs if they inspire you to join but don't not join because you are afraid you don't know enough. Just do it!

Latest posts

Back