Is it possible to enjoy loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinTrevize

Reaction score
This might sound odd but I have been thinking about it and I really enjoy my own space and not having to concern myself with other people however...

It has become slightly odd in my head and I don't know if it's loneliness that I'm enjoying or not. But I wondered whether there is an element of enjoyment that could be taken from loneliness, or not specifically loneliness but the elements of independence that go with it and whether those small benefits could potentially begin to outweigh the drawbacks.

If not all the time, then at certain times.

I agree with ardour. Someimtes I need space, but I hate my loneliness.

I don't think it's very healthy going days or weeks without talking to people.
However there is nothing wrong with spending some time by yourself.

Sometimes I hope it is. For some people loneliness will remain an unavoidable condition, and the possibility of finding ways to make peace with it, or even enjoy it, is worth anything.

I 've had loneliness for about 2 months, no social contact AT ALL, after few weeks it will start to kill you, like decay..

There's a difference between solitude and loneliness here. Solitude is learning to better yourself and learn about who you are in your own company, without any outside influence. I enjoy solitude when I can appreciate it like being far away from people and appreciating the world around you...then there's loneliness. Loneliness is when you're not happy with being on your own, when it kind of slowly hollows you out and you're sad or empty when you don't have human contact for a while.

Enjoying solitude is what you should do...enjoying loneliness sounds more like enjoying feeling negative about being lonesome.

It's impossible to enjoy loneliness. Wanderer explained it somewhat, although solitude is simply an observable fact of when someone is physically alone. Loneliness is by default a negative feeling, and will occur regardless of whether you are physically alone or not. Solitude is physical, loneliness is mental. And loneliness is by definition a bad feeling.

Yes solitude, you can be alone but not feeling lonely thus no negative feelings and you can enjoy it
I feel good by myself most of the times.

I have to admit that being away from my wife and my daughter for almost a month and a half has been rough. I have been lonely quite a bit, but it is getting easier. I am actually enjoying it, gives me a chance to work on myself and try to really change what bad parts of me i don't like. It gives me a chance to focus on myself and go for walks, etc. I think in the long run it will make things easier for me regardless of the outcome. It is making me stronger. :)

I've been socially isolated most of my life & by choice... I like it that way... I deal with a lot of people at work being that it's a retail job... There are times I just feel like walking out... I do enjoy some company or interactions with others once in a while but that's far in between "while"s... I've been in few relationships & though I don't mind it, I've been very clear from the start that I tend to drift off once in a while & I do need my own "time & space" perhaps more than what's considered "normal"... I've been like that since I was a kid... My childhood wasn't anything different from any other normal childhood from anyone else, I just liked being alone...

As long as you have links to the outside world, enjoying your alone time is very, very possible. :)

Some people can handle loneliness because it's what they want. It's when you don't want loneliness that it's a real issue because it's not something you can solve by just taking a pill.

I see it both ways. Whether I like it or not depends on the mood.

On one hand, if I believe I have friends, I only see it as less commitment needed and I don't have to worry about carrying a conversation.

On the other hand, if I did start feeling lonely, I'd likely start blaming myself for my loneliness and calling myself a bad friend.

Yes, I've found myself to be addicted to loneliness, I've begun to detest society and see it for what it truly is- A wild pack of sybarite, egomaniacal noxious, rapacious dogs!

Wanderer145 said:
There's a difference between solitude and loneliness here. Solitude is learning to better yourself and learn about who you are in your own company, without any outside influence. I enjoy solitude when I can appreciate it like being far away from people and appreciating the world around you...then there's loneliness. Loneliness is when you're not happy with being on your own, when it kind of slowly hollows you out and you're sad or empty when you don't have human contact for a while.

Enjoying solitude is what you should do...enjoying loneliness sounds more like enjoying feeling negative about being lonesome.

I have never thought of the existence of differences between solitude and loneliness. I always thought that my choice of being alone means I embraced loneliness itself. I guess that solitude is looking at a different perspective, perhaps a more positive one. That means I enjoy solitude for 1 and a half year now. But sometimes I feel painful moments where my heart aches, wanting to be with someone, while sitting in a corner or staring at a ceiling, not motivated to do anything else. I either try to imagine some kind of a scenario in my head, or simply getting rid of my emotions, in order not to feel any sadness or pain.

The first acts as a temporary solution. I'm fooling myself, but it was good while it lasted. The second is more of a recurring solution for me, because it was easier and lasts longer, as the first is an illusion, separating myself with reality. I wish it was real though. I really do.

Surcruxum said:
Wanderer145 said:

I have never thought of the existence of differences between solitude and loneliness. I always thought that my choice of being alone means I embraced loneliness itself. I guess that solitude is looking at a different perspective, perhaps a more positive one. That means I enjoy solitude for 1 and a half year now. But sometimes I feel painful moments where my heart aches, wanting to be with someone, while sitting in a corner or staring at a ceiling, not motivated to do anything else. I either try to imagine some kind of a scenario in my head, or simply getting rid of my emotions, in order not to feel any sadness or pain.

The first acts as a temporary solution. I'm fooling myself, but it was good while it lasted. The second is more of a recurring solution for me, because it was easier and lasts longer, as the first is an illusion, separating myself with reality. I wish it was real though. I really do.

It's just normal. I've learnt to seperate the two solitude is for example when I'm travelling and exploring a new city by myself with no one else I am truly happy with the moment. Loneliness comes as you said your heart aches, you're trying and trying to get out of the loneliness but its like running on a treadmill you're not going anywhere. Being in pain and blocking it by not thinking about it is, to be honest, a good defensive solution to stop it messing with you. I've been alone without a partner for nearly 3 years now...and sometimes I think the damage of that is really starting to show especially when it comes to peers.

If we could fool ourselves into thinking we dont need interactions and people around we could be truly happy with who we are. But we're not machines, we're people and we crave human contact because its a normal thing to desire. You just learn to live with it.

Latest posts

Back