I don't like people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinTrevize

Reaction score
I have this issue wherein I don't like people...

Not specifically but in general.

Human nature and human behaviour on a larger social scale annoys me beyond anything else.

There are literally days where I wonder how people have got to the stage of civilization that we have.

I know there are a small cross section of people that live differently and think in a unique way that others see as odd but actually could be the key to advancing as a species.

Just wondered if anyone else out there feels the same?

RobinTrevize said:

Human nature and human behaviour on a larger social scale annoys me beyond anything else.

There are literally days where I wonder how people have got to the stage of civilization that we have.

I know there are a small cross section of people that live differently and think in a unique way that others see as odd but actually could be the key to advancing as a species.

Yes I agree, it's a wonder that things run at all. But as far as advancing the species, forget about it, only nature can do that and it takes a very long time.

No, I dislike most people I meet. People say I have high standards... I guess I do, but if I can meet those standards why can't others? It actually is like this

Meet new person
New person appears to be decent
New person makes an error (I let it go)
New person starts being him or herself.. and it isn't good.
Try to leave person -- quiet like.
Person gets offended and we are now in a 'fight'.

Maybe you could try not telling yourself that. Instead, tell yourself you love your fellow man and woman.

No one is perfect. If you can accept your own imperfections, why not those of others?

You are not the only one. I often find it hard to not be one of humanity's biggest critics. I like certain individuals, but I don't like people in general. Most are insane and disappointing. There seems to be VERY few legitimately genuine people. Because of that I rarely connect with people and most are more like acquaintances. I guess I am a bit misanthropic. But at the same time I really want that one deep and intimate connection with that one person. It feels contradictory.

There are good people out there. It seems like media gives more time to telling the negative stories and the good stories are set on the sidelines. Skip over the bad and look for the good. It's out there, you just have to see it.

However, that said, with the negativity you carry, are you ABLE to see it? When you are so focused on the bad, that the good often goes unnoticed.

Don't get me wrong. Yeah I'm a Misanthrope. Yeah society makes me angry but also there are those shining beacons amongst the masses that make things worthwhile.

And those are the people that make it possible for me to carry on. I only need 1% but it would be nice to have more than that.

Well, more than nice tbh but there's nothing I can do about it. Just hang on to the feeling I get when someone shows themself to be better than all that...

lonelydoc said:
RobinTrevize said:

Yes I agree, it's a wonder that things run at all. But as far as advancing the species, forget about it, only nature can do that and it takes a very long time.
Same here, I dont like people, I prefer animal company.

I don't like people that masquarade as being something other than they are...someone who pretends to be a Doctor for instance....but having said that we are all flawed and so for example someone choosing to present themselves as a(pretend )Doctor..should be encouraged to represent themselves with honesty and without fear of being targeted due to feeling the need to create this pretence in the first place. People on this forum are without judgment and will be supportive.

I tend to like most individuals... until I get to know them and find out how unabashedly depraved they are.

It's not uncommon for me to spend time with total strangers. I don't assume that the person I'm sharing a deli table with who politely clears some papers off for me (which I assumed they were reading and left untouched) steals from charity, lies to women for sex, scapegoats their coworkers, or tortures animals, but there is a very good chance in reality that they are more than just someone with a weakness for cheesecake and a tendency to complain too much.

Who knows, maybe the barista who sometimes gives me a free upgrade once tossed a baby in a dumpster or supports electroshock therapy for gay teens. I'd be disappointed, but less surprised than any healthy individual ought to be.

I like your thinking....it never even occurred to me to look for babies that had been causally tossed by barista's into dumpsters...that image is now imprinted on my memory...what a wonderful turn of phrase you have 🙌

Tealeaf said:
Who knows, maybe the barista who sometimes gives me a free upgrade once tossed a baby in a dumpster or supports electroshock therapy for gay teens. I'd be disappointed, but less surprised than any healthy individual ought to be.

There's a term for this you know, the banality of evil.

"Arendt’s term, the expression “banality of evil,” does not refer to a theory or a doctrine, but fits “a phenomenon which stared one in the face at the trial” (Arendt, 1992: 287), the experience of an abyss : a lack of common measure between the gigantic scale on which the crimes (the evil) were committed and the insignificance (the banality) of the persons who were among those most responsible. " http://www.massviolence.org/Banality-of-Evil-The

I despise the human race, I really do.

I'm not a monster. On an individual level I will always help people out. But I think our cumulative mistakes are starting to catch up with us.

Take religion for example. "Be fruitful and multiply". That was 6000 years ago folks. How does that apply when our population is 7 billion?

Or the fact that nobody wants to die. But think about this. Our mortality rate is 100%. If it's not the elderly and the diseased who die, who should? Children should starve? Young men should be marched off into war?

Or burning up all the fossil fuels to do...what exactly? Drive around endlessly on crowded roads and put up more ugly buildings?

lonelydoc said:
I despise the human race, I really do.

I'm not a monster. On an individual level I will always help people out. But I think our cumulative mistakes are starting to catch up with us.

Take religion for example. "Be fruitful and multiply". That was 6000 years ago folks. How does that apply when our population is 7 billion?

Or the fact that nobody wants to die. But think about this. Our mortality rate is 100%. If it's not the elderly and the diseased who die, who should? Children should starve? Young men should be marched off into war?

Or burning up all the fossil fuels to do...what exactly? Drive around endlessly on crowded roads and put up more ugly buildings?

So maybe the caring professions are not entirely suited to you then ?😗

RobinTrevize said:

I posted this some time ago. It's my view of human nature, and you may agree with it:

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Am-A-Misanthrope/1794304

I don't like people, but I don't dislike them either. Liking or disliking would assume an interest in them, and I have none. I'm talking in general here, I have the greatest friend a person could have. :)
I am a task-orientated introvert and find that people usually fall 'below the radar'. I don't like small-talk, I don't go to parties no matter how many people tell me that I will enjoy myself.

Part of the struggle we must face as human beings is rising from the depths of ugliness that lurk inside the human spirit towards something more beautiful and noble and, hopefully, kinder.

"Man is something to be surpassed."

lifestream said:
Part of the struggle we must face as human beings is rising from the depths of ugliness that lurk inside the human spirit towards something more beautiful and noble and, hopefully, kinder.

"Man is something to be surpassed."

A noble goal. Most die first, and many more would rather die - period.

Latest posts

Back